Gibson Brands Forums

LP thin necks?

vod74

hey all just wanna say hi,

been playing guitar since about 1990 and am looking to get a LP. i'm specifically looking at the new Standard but some reviews mention a thick neck...something i would like to avoid if poss. i haven't tried it out yet, can someone recommend thin LP neck profiles?

thx

Hi and welcome. The thinner LP necks are called 60's necks. The neck on the new Standards is called asymetrical which is thicker on the low E side and thinner on the high E side. The older model standards are available with either a 60's or 50's neck (50's = thick). There are exceptions to every rule and as the necks are still pretty much made by hand there can be many variations like, thicker 60's necks and thinner 50's necks. Really need to put one in your hands to tell.

I think the 50's style neck is prefect on a Les Paul. As mentioned there is variation. Even the 60's isn't much of a difference compared to the 50's. I like how it tapers thinner as you go to the first fret.

You have to remember that the frets are closes together on a Les Paul, compared to a Fender. You can't have a skinny neck with the frets so close together. It would be harder to play.

I have a Fender V neck and a C neck. Both are very fine necks. But, it is something about the Les Paul that I like. For one, the frets are closer together and for me it is perfect and very easy to play. Even shred is very easy.

hey guys, thank you for all the answers. i guess i'll have to try some out and see what i like! i hope to be the owner of an LP in the next couple of months!!!! its good to join this forum, been reading it like crazy!!!

Archived