Gibson Brands Forums

les paul id help

sinvayne

I've been looking for some information on a Les Paul and haven't found anything and was wondering if anyone could help me. I was recently in a pawn shop and spotted a Les Paul. On the truss rod cover was the word "GREEN". I didn't get a serial # or anything off of it. It seemed to be in good shape. Does anyone have any info on what year, model or value of this guitar? If you need more info I could possibly go back and get some numbers off of it. I just didn't want the guy to get suspicious because he only wanted $400 for it and I thought that was cheap. I've never owned a Gibson before and thought this might be a good investment on my first one. Should I just get some numbers off of it and call Gibson for some info? Any help would be much appreciated. Thx.

There is a site you can go on when you search "Gibson Serial Number" on google which tells you the year the guitar was made and where it was made as long as you have the serial number, i found that site very useful, its the second or third one down on the google search list i think. If you could go back to the store and get the serial number all your questions will be answered as long as the guitar doesn't date back to before 1977!

Snap some pics with your cell phone - entire front, entire back, closeup of the front and back of the headstock, and note the serial number and anything else it says on the back of the headstock.

Put the photos on a photobucket account so they can be posted on this forum, then stand back and you'll be amazed at what people notice.

Oh, and if the neck is bolted to the body or there are three screws on the trussrod cover on the headstock, don't bother.

Thanks for the help. I'll try to get some pics on here and get some responses. I'll get the serial # also and check it out. To be honest I don't think the guy knows what he has. It's a young kid and it's a real small place. I bought what I think is a Epiphone Les Paul from him that he said wasn't working for $20. Put new strings on it and plugged it in and can't find anything wrong with it. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Archived