Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson LG-2 vintage?

scottnfld

Never even heard of one. Maybe it is just for the overseas market. It does have a pretty burst. Interesting version of the LG with the 19 frets and belly short saddle bridge. It may be a great sounding guitar but the combination of the slim taper neck and the 1 11/16" nut make it a no starter for me.

According to the book-"Gibson's Fabulous Flat-Top Guitars" the LG-2was introduced in 1942. Similar to the LG-3 but with a sunburst.During the war spruce was scarce so they needed a smaller guitar with narrower tops for the smaller pieces of spruce available to them.In 1958 or so Gibson used LG-2 molds to make classical guitars. This book (BTW) is very interesting especially in combination with John Thomas' "Kalamazoo Gals".

Never even heard of one. Maybe it is just for the overseas market. It does have a pretty burst. Interesting version of the LG with the 19 frets and belly short saddle bridge. It may be a great sounding guitar but the combination of the slim taper neck and the 1 11/16" nut make it a no starter for me.

That is what was looking a bit out of place on the LG to me- the belly bridge, replacing the dainty rectangular one. That, and the fancy tuners normally seen on an AJ. Script logo also replaces the Block. The bright white binding is quite a contrast on that nice, darker sunburst. Is it a Vintage model? No mention of the toasted top on the F.O.A. description.

That is what was looking a bit out of place on the LG to me- the belly bridge, replacing the dainty rectangular one. That, and the fancy tuners normally seen on an AJ. Script logo also replaces the Block. The bright white binding is quite a contrast on that nice, darker sunburst. Is it a Vintage model? No mention of the toasted top on the F.O.A. description.

I don't understand Gibson's logic. They go to the trouble of building to sell a "vintage" model of one of their iconic guitars (LG-2, J-45, AJ etc.), but they never manufacture the guitar 100% correct (there may be one exception in the multitude of reissues). They usually leave off the rectangle bridge and tuning keys as in this example. I wonder why they don't just make a reissue vintage model like the vintage guitar they are modeling? Why do they put things on the "vintage reissues" that were not on the originals?

According to the book-"Gibson's Fabulous Flat-Top Guitars" the LG-2was introduced in 1942. Similar to the LG-3 but with a sunburst.During the war spruce was scarce so they needed a smaller guitar with narrower tops for the smaller pieces of spruce available to them.In 1958 or so Gibson used LG-2 molds to make classical guitars. This book (BTW) is very interesting especially in combination with John Thomas' "Kalamazoo Gals".

Not sure where you came up with this connection between WWII wood shortages and the body size of the LGs. Gibson had been producing an 00 size 14 fret flattop for almost ten years prior to the introduction of the LG-2. Plus Gibson and others did not start feeling the impact of shortages caused by the War Resources Board until 1943. The LG-2/3 was just a new version of the earlier L models only with the scalloped X brace Gibson had been experimenting with.

I don't understand Gibson's logic. They go to the trouble of building to sell a "vintage" model of one of their iconic guitars (LG-2, J-45, AJ etc.), but they never manufacture the guitar 100% correct (there may be one exception in the multitude of reissues). They usually leave off the rectangle bridge and tuning keys as in this example. I wonder why they don't just make a reissue vintage model like the vintage guitar they are modeling? Why do they put things on the "vintage reissues" that were not on the originals?

It is not meant to be a spot on reissue of a guitar from the past. "Vintage" is really just a marketing gimmick.

The combining of features from different eras is nothing new to Gibson reissues, but some confusion could be reduced if the "Vintage" (by itself) moniker meant it was a Gibson with top of torrefied wood.

And- from The Fellowship listing; what is the L in "L Series" LG-2?

Not sure where you came up with this connection between WWII wood shortages and the body size of the LGs. Gibson had been producing an 00 size 14 fret flattop for almost ten years prior to the introduction of the LG-2. Plus Gibson and others did not start feeling the impact of shortages caused by the War Resources Board until 1943.

On p.95 it states- "At the time there were two compelling reasons for Gibson tocreate the LG series.First,wide spruce was in short supply..." Any disagreements with this statement need to be directed at the authors Eldon Whitford, David Vinopal and Dan Erlewine but David Vinopal passed some years ago. John Thomas has taken issue with some of their assertions, so it's a moot point as to the accuracy of some dates and theories, I suppose.

On p.95 it states- "At the time there were two compelling reasons for Gibson tocreate the LG series.First,wide spruce was in short supply..." Any disagreements with this statement need to be directed at the authors Eldon Whitford, David Vinopal and Dan Erlewine but David Vinopal passed some years ago. John Thomas has taken issue with some of their assertions, so it's a moot point as to the accuracy of some dates and theories, I suppose.

If historians got it right the first time many of us would be out of a job. I have actually never read the "Fabulous Flattops" book, I just look at the pictures. During the Great Depression though what Gibson produced had more to do with selling price then anything else. They built over 5,800 J-35s and L-00s in the five or so years before WWII while cutting back on the high dollar guitars. I am also at a loss to understand why a company supposedly hampered by spruce being in short supply would go from 16" to 17" archtops (as did Epiphone) and then introduce the SJ-100 and SJ-200.

If historians got it right the first time many of us would be out of a job. I have actually never read the "Fabulous Flattops" book, I just look at the pictures. During the Great Depression though what Gibson produced had more to do with selling price then anything else. They built over 5,800 J-35s and L-00s in the five or so years before WWII while cutting back on the high dollar guitars. I am also at a loss to understand why a company supposedly hampered by spruce being in short supply would go from 16" to 17" archtops (as did Epiphone) and then introduce the SJ-100 and SJ-200.

It seems that a lot of what was written about Gibson and what they themselves said could be filed under "fiction".The head of Gibson personnel,Julius Bellson,said in 1973 that Gibson was forced to move to alternate forms of production during the war, but Gibson's women made about 25,000 guitars during that time. To make sense of that company is hopeless. Their serial numbers were only to aid in billing for guitars made, it seems-not to catalogue the models made and when.You're right about the burden on historians and those of trying to make sense of any of it. Good story-crazy plot line.

It seems that a lot of what was written about Gibson and what they themselves said could be filed under "fiction".The head of Gibson personnel,Julius Bellson,said in 1973 that Gibson was forced to move to alternate forms of production during the war, but Gibson's women made about 25,000 guitars during that time. To make sense of that company is hopeless. Their serial numbers were only to aid in billing for guitars made, it seems-not to catalogue the models made and when.You're right about the burden on historians and those of trying to make sense of any of it. Good story-crazy plot line.

Not fiction. Gibson did undertake defense work during WWII. If I recall, they produced airplane skids, machine gun rods and radar parts under War Department contract. This was not unusual. Gretsch manufactured parts for gas masks. Rickenbacker also devoted factory space to defense work.

The combining of features from different eras is nothing new to Gibson reissues, but some confusion could be reduced if the "Vintage" (by itself) moniker meant it was a Gibson with top of torrefied wood.

And- from The Fellowship listing; what is the L in "L Series" LG-2?

I actually sent an e-mail to George Gruhn right after I bought a 1963 LG-2 from Gary's Classic Guitars in Ohio. He answered back that LG stands for "little guitar". I am not kidding.

Not fiction. Gibson did undertake defense work during WWII. If I recall, they produced airplane skids, machine gun rods and radar parts under War Department contract. This was not unusual. Gretsch manufactured parts for gas masks. Rickenbacker also devoted factory space to defense work.

The point wasn't that they didn't do any defense work for the war effort-that was a given.Bellson led people to believe that Gibson had suspended instrument production for the more important task at hand-winning the war. They were, however making a whack of Banner acoustics despite what the company said, even after the war. John Thomas revealed what happened in his book.

Gibson also produced some gliders - not an especially successful war craft, sad to say.

Gibson also produced some gliders - not an especially successful war craft, sad to say.

The only reason I remember this crap is that decades ago while a grad student I wrote a paper for my U.S. Economic History class on the impact of the War Resources Board on the guitar companies. Why I recall this stuff I do not have a clue as I cannot remember what I had for lunch yesterday.

Archived