Gibson Brands Forums

Question about guitar stands..

bjs

A friend said to me "Keeping your LP on a guitar stand will ruin the neck where it's rested on the stand over a period of time, it will do your neck aswell as your Guitar in general alot more justice keeping it in the hard case lay on the floor." anyone comment on this? :-&

...buy a stand that is safe for your finish.

Do you know any brands that are definitely nitro safe? Just about every make I've seen is "Not recommended for nito finish"...

I currently use mini Rockstands (touches body only) and cover the foam padding and rubber support with cotton fabric, but ideally I'd like something else.

DJ

--

Buy a good guitar stand at a guitar shop. And ask them which ones will be okay for Gibsons laquer. I´m using guitar stands for years for all my Gibsons. It depends on which plastic or rubber the stand is made of and what chemicals were used in production. But you can definately put a Gibson into a guitar stand.

Greetings

Kurt

I asked a Gibson dealer about this and he confirmed that most guitar stands will damage a Gibson nitro finish over time. But they will not damage fenders and would you believe, epiphones because they apparently dont have a nitro finish (I did not realise this about epis).

The dealer puts special covers on their guitar holders/stands for all their nitro finish items. Apparently it is the white Gibsons that show the most damage.

i've heard horror stories about the warwick rockstand being completely NOT nitro safe, despite the labeling...

i have a Hercules stand... they don't advertise as being "nitro" safe, but i did get some feedback from them directly that it's safe on most nitro finishes (they said that can't guarantee, because of different nitro formulations of different guitar manufacturers.... whether that's true or not, that's what i was told...)

so far no issues with my Hercules... but it's always a risk - to each their own..... best best is to cover with cloth if you are worried as said above... i don't cover my Hercular for what it's worth...

Archived