Gibson Brands Forums

opinions please (lp studio)

american cheez

Hmm.. Well by the looks of it the only thing that makes it a studio is the dots (and even most studios don't have dots just the faded and a couple of others)... So its worth way more than any non bound studio... Plus you don't really see many of these about.. So its that old saying.. Something is only worth what someone will pay for it.. If theres someone out there who really wants this specific model for what ever reason, they will probably pay that price.

Disclaimer: I know very little about Studio models.

What the seller seems to be saying however is that this is an original Studio model from 1984. Was that the first year they were made? If so it does increase the value some (like a '53 Corvette which really was a pretty crappy car, but commands a huge price as the first year of production). It does have binding on the front which I know they no longer have, and he claims some good pickups. 33 years old in nice condition, I think someone who is really into the Studio models would pay a bit of a premium for this.

Since a new one goes for about $899 or so I don't know if it's worth the $1600 he's asking, but it probably does have some more value than the average used Studio.

Without wishing to go into too much detail about the history of the Studio Standard...

As we all know the Studio model was introduced in '83 as a sort-of embellishment-lite 'Plain-Jane' model but with all the good-bits necessary to make a 'proper' Les Paul.

The Studio Standard and the slightly flashier Studio Custom were introduced a year later with certain appointments (binding etc.) which placed them part-way between a Studio and their respective Standard/Custom big brothers. Commercially they were not a big hit with the buying public and both models were soon dropped from the Les Paul range. The Studio Standard lasted from '84 'till '87. The Studio Custom fared worse and lasted only until '85.

That's it.

No big story. No Magic Pixie Dust.

Quite rare and probably very good guitars. Whether or not they are worth more than a similar age Standard (say) is, as Rabs suggested earlier, wholly dependent on who is looking to buy and how much they are prepared to hand over.

Pip.

I am familiar with the seller. He does get some interesting pieces sometimes but he asks well beyond what most stores would sell the same guitar for. Once you get past the fluff about the second Norlin golden age, recognize that the guitar is probably worth around 1,200 to 1,300, in great condition. Negotiate with him.

For some reason, I don't think $330 will buy that guitar. Is it at a pawn shop?

well, i was estimating. i meant $400 if it was a case queen.

I am familiar with the seller. He does get some interesting pieces sometimes but he asks well beyond what most stores would sell the same guitar for. Once you get past the fluff about the second Norlin golden age, recognize that the guitar is probably worth around 1,200 to 1,300, in great condition. Negotiate with him.

a collectible guitar isn't really what i was after. i just saw a nice looking studio, and being that old, estimated it's value far below what others have. if it really is worth so much, i am really surprised. i never would have guessed a studio could be worth so much. learn something new all the time i guess.

thanks to all who responded

As mentioned, the 'studio' guitars were and are offered as 'no frills' alternatives to more expensive models....

Personally it's all about the sound and I can happily survive without special markers and bindings....

It can be fun going in with a low offer on an internet site.....[biggrin]

At this price point....and if one desires a Les Paul....there are other options available if this particular guitar 'slips through the net'....

V

:-({|=

PS....Emotional detachment can save money.....but is not as much fun.....[blink]

I'm certainly no "expert" but I would not pay that much for a Studio. Out of the Les Pauls I own, a couple are studios and a couple are Norlin era - an 83 LP Standard & an 89 LP Custom. In that price range I would look at a variety of what else is available. Buying local from private owners has positives (i.e. no paypal fees or shipping costs) however buying local from a business then adds in the sales tax cost.

Not sure what your gear situation is & if you have anything you could offer in trade + cash to lower your out lay, but you can always make a reasonable offer. Bottom line is, if it's close by - stop by and play that thing. See if it feels good to you & go from there. Reverb is a good site to check out because there is a butt load of used Les Pauls out there to drool over. Please let us know what you decide.

I do like the ol chainsaw case - my 83 Standard came with one :)

Archived