Gibson Brands Forums

Wiring question. Vol pot

brc

I am having a problem with a volume pot.

I am putting together another Strat ( partscaster) for my brother.

I have new pick ups, 3 new pots, and capacitor, new 5 way switch. It is an import switch as that’s all I had in my stash of parts.

The switch is working fine, the two tone controls are also working fine, but the volume pot has no volume control to it.

There is volume coming out of the control. but it is not variable .

I thought the volume pot was bad, so I swapped it out with another new pot, same problem though no volume control.

I have checked and rechecked the wiring per my diagrams, and also every wiring diagram I could find on line and every thing checks out that the new wiring is correct, but just no control on the volume pot.

Any one have any ideas on what could cause the volume pot to not be variable with the volume ?

It’s got me stumped.

Bought to make some fire wood out of the damn thing

Appreciate any ideas, Thanks

HinTravis,

Just walked in the door.

I will check to see if the one lug is grounded

I don’t remember off hand

How was Chicago ?

You have a good time.

A very good friend of mine has lived there for close to 45 years and said the winters can be brutal

Thanks Travis. I will check it out

HinTravis,

Just walked in the door.

I will check to see if the one lug is grounded

I don’t remember off hand

How was Chicago ?

You have a good time.

A very good friend of mine has lived there for close to 45 years and said the winters can be brutal

Thanks Travis. I will check it out

If you’re looking at the volume pot where the lugs are facing towards you, the one that connects to ground is the one on the right. That is typically bent over and soldered to the metal housing of the pot. The metal housing of each pot should also be wired together and connected to ground

Chicago was great, thanks! There are a ton of breweries over there, it’s like beer heaven. Since my girlfriend was there for school I had a lot of time to explore by myself and that was really cool. Now we’re probably going to NY in January

Archived