Gibson Brands Forums

Blurring out Serial numbers?

jimmiJAMM

Just out of curiosity, what's the point? I see it all the time online when showing pics of the back of the headstock. Are these digits related to some top-secret government operation? Protecting the instrument's true identity? Isn't it just the next number in sequence off the assembly line?

It just slows them down O:)

I seriously doubt that. As already stated it would be easy for them to go to any guitar shop and get several numbers. All blurring the numbers out on eBay auctions (thats where I always see it) does is make me suspicious of the person selling the guitar. For example, someone says they're selling a model from a certain year that would make it more valuable, when the guitar is actually a later model. Guru's might know just from looking but your average buyer probably wouldnt. Considering that BLATENT ripoff "Reissue" eBay auction that was posted here recently. We all knew it was fake but two seperate people bid a substantial amount of money on it. If they had the serial number they could verify it.

And before you come back saying "well then they could just ask the seller", then WHATS THE POINT of blurring it out if all it takes is a message to the seller. These fake guitars pop up on ebay all the time so obviously the people making/selling them can use eBay. They could just ask the seller under the guise of someone looking to buy.

It dosen't divert any attempts to steal the number for the purpose of making phony guitars, it just creates hassles for possible buyers.

I seriously doubt that. As already stated it would be easy for them to go to any guitar shop and get several numbers. All blurring the numbers out on eBay auctions (thats where I always see it) does is make me suspicious of the person selling the guitar. For example' date=' someone says they're selling a model from a certain year that would make it more valuable, when the guitar is actually a later model. Guru's might know just from looking but your average buyer probably wouldnt. Considering that BLATENT ripoff "Reissue" eBay auction that was posted here recently. We all knew it was fake but two seperate people bid a substantial amount of money on it. If they had the serial number they could verify it.

And before you come back saying "well then they could just ask the seller", then WHATS THE POINT of blurring it out if all it takes is a message to the seller. These fake guitars pop up on ebay all the time so obviously the people making/selling them can use eBay. They could just ask the seller under the guise of someone looking to buy.

It dosen't divert any attempts to steal the number for the purpose of making phony guitars, it just creates hassles for possible buyers.[/quote']

I agree. I can't see how it would deter them at all. Also, why would they technically even need several numbers? Why not just use one valid one over and over? It's not like anyone would know.

A friend of mine bought a Les Paul from a local furniture/knick knack shop that suddenly aquired a huge stock of Gibson Guitars. SGs, LPs, Explorers, Vs you name it. They were all beautiful, highend looking guitars, and the guy was selling them for like 3 or 4 hundred bucks a piece. My friend bought the LP and thought that he got a hell of deal. I saw this guitar, and I can tell you it was nice. Very well made. Played beautifully and sounded great. I was about to head up there myself and buy a nice SG he had. Later my friend contacted Gibson to verify the serial # and found out it was a fake. He took it back to the guy and the guy found out that all of these beautiful gibsons he had were all fakes. Apparently his "source" was ripping him off and he didn't know they were fakes. But these were good fakes. Quality guitars. They were not junk guitars at all. It's amazing how well these Chinese Cloners are doing with these guitars. If you didn't mind it being a fake, they would have been good guitars to have. But it kinda sucks when you think you're getting an honest to God Gibby and it ends up being a chinese clone.

Just felt like sharing. [-o<)

MJ

Archived