Gibson Brands Forums

NGD tomorrow

bassetman

Looks absolutely beautiful! I love the headroom of Maple and the headroom of forward shifted bracing, one of the best guitar I ever played was a Maple AJ and I’m really longing to own one sometime in the future.

My old RW AJ was good, but Maple is more my cup of tea, being an SJ200 and Dove player.

Really glad you’re happy with it!!

Looks absolutely beautiful! I love the headroom of Maple and the headroom of forward shifted bracing, one of the best guitar I ever played was a Maple AJ and I’m really longing to own one sometime in the future.

My old RW AJ was good, but Maple is more my cup of tea, being an SJ200 and Dove player.

Really glad you’re happy with it!!

Thanks, it continues to surpass my expectations. The AJ made its public debut at the pub. It cuts crowd noise very well. I had to concentrate on playing quietly or the AJ over powered the the others. I’ve never played an SJ but it’s next on the GAS list unless a Dove or Hummimgbird cross my path.

AJ Update. The saddle and pins from Bob Colosi arrived. Adding the saddle immediately improved the upper mid tones...at least to me. Adding the bone pins produced too much treble, way out of balance. After some experiments I ended up putting tusq pins in the first two strings to restore the balance that I like. I need to either install dark inlays on these two tusq pins or buy a set with inlay and only use two of them. Either way it should sound great. EuroAussie was wondering if the maple AJ would have the projection and power of other AJ models...I would say it does. I’m starting to feel I should wear hearing protection when I beat on it because it will leave your ears ringing. By far the “loudest” of my guitars , next is the J35 which should have the same bracing I think.

Wow, that is real nice. I just got an Advanced Jumbo and it is becoming my favorite guitar. I have been wanting a maple guitar and would love to try one of those. I imagine they are rare. Mine is comparable to my HD-28 with Standard Bracing, but isn't as bassy and has more mid and high projection which is what I really love. Contrary to what many think, the Wide X bracing of the AJ is nothing like Martin's Forward Shifted X Bracing. Forward Shifted makes the top looser for more bass and low volume responsiveness but with less punch and headroom. My D-42 is like this. The Wide X Bracing of the AJ is very stiff, like Martin's Standard Bracing, which gives a tighter sound with more headroom when strummed hard. If you strum a Froward Shifted top hard it gets mushy and distorted. Congrats on the new Axe.

A total beauty - imagine how it'll darken toward yellower hues and the woods, guard, bindings and tuners will blend into butter in that black case.

Hope this is a keeper for you ^ a highly personal guitar that'll just keep growing.

This guy really gets something out of it

2016 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA7ltaoHdf4

So does Greg Koch, but I don't dare to post him. Too hot he might set the AJ on fire.

That is one trebly unit. Raspy-harsh.I'm in the minority probably, but that is EQ'd way up the treble end.If it's to cut through the mix for lead bits-OK.

Wow, that is real nice. I just got an Advanced Jumbo and it is becoming my favorite guitar. I have been wanting a maple guitar and would love to try one of those. I imagine they are rare. Mine is comparable to my HD-28 with Standard Bracing, but isn't as bassy and has more mid and high projection which is what I really love. Contrary to what many think, the Wide X bracing of the AJ is nothing like Martin's Forward Shifted X Bracing. Forward Shifted makes the top looser for more bass and low volume responsiveness but with less punch and headroom. My D-42 is like this. The Wide X Bracing of the AJ is very stiff, like Martin's Standard Bracing, which gives a tighter sound with more headroom when strummed hard. If you strum a Froward Shifted top hard it gets mushy and distorted. Congrats on the new Axe.

Thanks. I always like the extra info about the models and comparisons/ contrasts to other guitars.

Archived