Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Shop limited runs

BC Mike 118

I have a couple of Custom Shop SJ200's. One is a 2012 in Wine Red (one of 50 units) and another I just picked up is a 2015 Trans Cherry (one of 50 units). My understanding is that there are similar limited runs of these Custom Shop giutars in other colors too. It seems like every day there is anoher "limited run" and I am wondering if that detracts from their "specialness" and value. I bought these guitars because I love them but curious if you have any thoughts on this. Comments?

Mike in Vancouver BC

The dealer who ordered them sets the quantity in the run. I have a Limited run "Mystic Rosewood" Custom Shop Songwriter. I don't care how many or few there are. The rosewood makes the tone so full and warm that it inspired me. The fact that it passed through the custom shop may or may not mean more attention was paid during its construction. The script logo, abalone purfling, binding and orange label are nice touches but I think it should be sound and feel that make any instrument sought after. These instruments are all hand made and so even guitars that came off the same line on the same day can be very different. One might be special in a good way and the next could be special in a not so good way. Buy it because you like it not because of it's rarity. Just my two cents worth.

Agree with the above, if you like it and it sounds right and good to your ears and it plays well then it doesn't really matter if they produce 10 or 10,000. Gibson Montana do however produce some outstanding instruments. Many of which are limited to less than 100 pieces. My J185 was a limited run in a Montana sunset burst. Certainly the sales pitch on their site sparked my interest enough to seek one out!

One of the most fabled Gibson's of all time, this August Limited Edition J-185 is enhanced with an Adirondack red spruce top and gorgeous big leaf maple back and sides. Only 75 examples of this beautifully customized 1950's model will be made, each sporting classic J-185 appointments, including iconic crosses inlaid in mother-of-pearl on the bridge. And for the first time in history, this rare model with an even rarer tonewood combination will be finished in a luscious Sunset Burst.

Premium Adirondack red spruce top Adirondack red spruce was used on the finest pre-War flat-tops, and remains a highly prized tonewood today, offering extra sonic depth and dimension. Beautiful select big leaf maple back and sides The tonewood combination of big leaf maple allows for warm, deep low-end with ringing, harmonically-rich treble response from this limited edition. Rare Sunset Burst finish The luthiers of Gibson Acoustic created the custom Montana Sunset Burst finish. Softened fingerboard edge Gibson Acoustic "breaks" or "rolls" the edges of the fingerboard into the curve of the neck profile for a sublimely comfortable playing feel.

Archived