Gibson Brands Forums

5 Years With My J45 RW.

Murph

I got my '03 Feb. of '04. I just realized this. I was so overwhelmed by the tones in this puppy. I had looked at every Martin I could put my hands on and never connected. No offense to you Martin guys. Same for Taylor.

This one just sang to me. Opened up nice. I did several acoustic solo gigs with it in the early days, as the rock Band I was with had some open weekends. I used a Carvin AG100D, on a stand, and a monitor. Small rooms, 100 or so. I enjoyed those actually, got to do a lot of original stuff mixed in.

Took it to Nashville to busk on Broadway. Drank the profit.

Did the Bluebird Cafe with it.

I still play it daily.

I'm actually very lucky in this economy to be booked (lead guitar) pretty much through Sept. with a Classic Rock/Motown/Blues/Country/ band, and will be for the next year or so it looks like, but the J45 stays at home.

She's got her nicks, ect., but has truly been a workhorse.

Time passes quicker than it used to.......

Best to ya.

Murph.

I got my '03 Feb. of '04. I just realized this. I was so overwhelmed by the tones in this puppy. I had looked at every Martin I could put my hands on and never connected. No offense to you Martin guys. Same for Taylor.

This one just sang to me. Opened up nice. I did several acoustic solo gigs with it in the early days' date=' as the rock Band I was with had some open weekends. I used a Carvin AG100D, on a stand, and a monitor. Small rooms, 100 or so. I enjoyed those actually, got to do a lot of original stuff mixed in.

Took it to Nashville to busk on Broadway. Drank the profit.

Did the Bluebird Cafe with it.

I still play it daily.

I'm actually very lucky in this economy to be booked (lead guitar) pretty much through Sept. with a Classic Rock/Motown/Blues/Country/ band, and will be for the next year or so it looks like, but the J45 stays at home.

She's got her nicks, ect., but has truly been a workhorse.

Time passes quicker than it used to.......

Best to ya.

Murph.[/quote']

Nice, and I bet most people here have the same feeling for their own guitars, and it's not based on how much $ it's worth. I stated in another post my Gibson is 50 years old this year, (was my dads and has been in my possession for 16 years) it's been part of my life as long as I can remember, and it will always be a part of my family after I'm gone. Having said that, I bought a Yamaki 12 string in '79 with my first two paychecks, and over the years there were times when I had to sell stuff to survive, and more than once I had a buyer for it, but I couldn't do it. It is fugly as they come, but still plays and sounds great and I have a connection with that guitar that I have with no other possession.

Thanks for sharing that, Murph. March will be my one-year anniversary with my J-45 RW. Man, I love it. It has exceeded my expectations, and I expected a lot.

Don't know how old you are, but man it seems like time passes faster every year. I'm accelerating toward the big dirt nap!

Nice words, Murph. My J-45 is covered in dings, some of them pretty darned ugly. Nearly every time it was my fault. In New York, apartments are small and crowded. It doesn't take much to bump your guitar on a door knob when a great idea hits you. Touring has also been a bit brutal to her. But damned if she isn't on the best workhorses I've ever owned.

It's no secret why we get attached to our instruements, is it?

Archived