Gibson Brands Forums

Look what I found! :D

charlie brown

BUT does it have correct enough bevelling and tapering to get by your OCD?

:P

:)

LOL :D Well, time will tell, but it sure looks to have the early '60's beveling and horn tapering,

as well as the '61 slope on the back. So, I'm "hopeful/cautiously optimistic. I'll know more, after

they get some in stock, and post some more detailed photos. OR, if I manage to find one, in a

more local (Wichita) store?

Would be great, though! The Jr. and (P-90) Special (w/bound fingerboard), are the other SG's I've wanted

to get, since I got back "into" them. I was told, that this particular SG Jr. has been available, for some time,

in Japan! WHY Gibson didn't release it, HERE, before now, is just one of their (many) marketing "quirks,"

I guess??? :P

Cheers,

CB

Well, friends...I bit the bullet! Bought the SG Jr., mentioned above, today. Should be here next Tuesday, or Wednesday!

Sweetwater had several in stock, and I picked the one that was closest to the original version, I learned on. They sold

all they had, in less than 48 hours. My rep told me they were "Flying off the shelves!" So, I guess I'm fortunate to have

clicked "add to cart," when I did? LOL :D

I feel like I'm come full circle, now...back to the identical model of guitar I started on, 55 years ago! Seems like yesterday,

at times. [tongue][scared][biggrin]

Pictures to follow, when it arrives!

Cheers,

CB

Well, friends...I bit the bullet! Bought the SG Jr., mentioned above, today. Should be here next Tuesday, or Wednesday!

Sweetwater had several in stock, and I picked the one that was closest to the original version, I learned on. They sold

all they had, in less than 48 hours. My rep told me they were "Flying off the shelves!" So, I guess I'm fortunate to have

clicked "add to cart," when I did? LOL :D

I feel like I'm come full circle, now...back to the identical model of guitar I started on, 55 years ago! Seems like yesterday,

at times. [tongue][scared][biggrin]

Pictures to follow, when it arrives!

Cheers,

CB

That's awesome. I hope you enjoy it! Can't wait to see the pictures. Also curios to see what kind of case they come in too and if it has the scroll logo on it like the headstock.

That's awesome. I hope you enjoy it! Can't wait to see the pictures. Also curios to see what kind of case they come in too and if it has the scroll logo on it like the headstock.

Thanks, Beerad12...They're using the regular "brown" case, pink interior, and gold standard Gibson Logo.

CB

I don' t like the design of the pickguard, and it is very strange on this 2018 model, here is my favorite RI, 2008 or something like that :

87998-1-big.jpg

To each his/her own! That's a nice looking SG Jr., but...for me, it doesn't have the correct bevels and horn tapering,

that the original ones, and the 2018 does. But, then, a lot of folks out there, don't care about that! I have no problem

with the current "very strange" pickguard, as it's accurate, to the original '61! But again, whatever floats your boat! [biggrin]

CB

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SGJRH18VENH

Now, if they just don't raise the price 500 bucks, between now and then?!

Gibson has baited us, with one price, then raised it, 300-500 bucks, shortly after their

initial launch, on several other models. [scared][cursing]

I'm HOPING they won't DO that, with THIS one! [tongue]

CB

I have a buddy of mine that has a 1961/2? model, just like this. It says Les Paul Model on the head stock. I almost purchased it before he did. It is one that got away. They were asking about $350 back then ( around 1978 around there ) at a place called "Strings and Things" in Fullerton, California. I wish I would have jumped on it when I had the chance. The one I'm talking about did not have that "old style" type Gibson on the headstock.

[biggrin][biggrin][biggrin][flapper]

This 2018 is very strange, Pickguard on 2012 SG Junior is correct, right ?

image_48.jpg

Well, they differed somewhat, even back then. The 2012, pickguard may be more correct???

But, the the bevels (body and between horns and neck), and tone/volume controls on the 2012

(right hand photo) are NOT! That looks more like current puny beveling that Gibson seems

content with using, save in special model runs, or HP versions. The tone/volume controls

on the 2012 are situated more like what was on the standard Double Cut Les Paul Jr. (Not SG

version), then, or now.

The new one has correct beveling, a bit less high pointed pickguard, as your (left) photo

indicates, and the "script" logo, on the head stock! I suppose, to differentiate it, from

the CS versions??? Or, maybe as just a "whim?" Who knows, it's "Gibson!" Also, the tuners

are not the "strip" version deluxe, which the original '61's had, but individual machine heads.

So, that's another slight difference. But, I can certainly "Live with" those small deviations!

Mine is due to arrive, tomorrow! IF it does (manage to avoid "Holiday delays") I'll

know, for sure, then!

Cheers,

CB

I have a buddy of mine that has a 1961/2? model, just like this. It says Les Paul Model on the head stock. I almost purchased it before he did. It is one that got away. They were asking about $350 back then ( around 1978 around there ) at a place called "Strings and Things" in Fullerton, California. I wish I would have jumped on it when I had the chance. The one I'm talking about did not have that "old style" type Gibson on the headstock.

That sounds just like the one I had, as a 13 year old! I "kicked myself," later, for ever selling it! So, this new one,

is probably as close as I can afford, these days! But, the body beveling, horn tapering, and knob placements, are correct!

That's always been my main concern, with ANY SG.

Cheers, from your ever vigilant SG "Bevel Policeman!" I am quite excited, to get the 2018 SG Jr. (hopefull) tomorrow, if

Fex Ex tracking is to be believed? [biggrin]

Happy Thanksgiving, to ALL!

CB

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SGJRH18VENH

Now, if they just don't raise the price 500 bucks, between now and then?!

Gibson has baited us, with one price, then raised it, 300-500 bucks, shortly after their

initial launch, on several other models. [scared][cursing]

I'm HOPING they won't DO that, with THIS one! [tongue]

CB

What's the word Charlie? Can you do us a review on the SG? Considering one myself. Thanks....

What's the word Charlie? Can you do us a review on the SG? Considering one myself. Thanks....

Well, I know it's popular to bash Gibson, these days. BUT, when they get it right, it's RIGHT!

In the case of my latest SG Jr., it's as close "Perfect" as I could hope for. Fit and finish is

top drawer, neck profile is sweet ('60's rounded), and playability, and tone is awesome! May not

be as "versatile" as a multi-pickup guitar, but what it does, it does brilliantly. Frets, on mine,

are nicely dressed, there are no "dead spots" and they're wide (much like I remember my old '61's

to be), but quite comfortable to play on. So, whatever they're doing, I hope they'll continue.

Oh, and it's NOT "neck heavy" at all! In fact, none of MY SG's are neck heavy, in the least. So...???

And, yes...the bevels and horn tapers are wonderful! WHY they don't make ALL SG's with that particular spec, is beyond me?!! [tongue][rolleyes]

All in all, it was a great purchase! One I'm thrilled with, at this point...but, I Love ALL my guitars,

Gibson or otherwise.

Normally, I would rarely buy a guitar "on line," but Sweetwater really comes through! And, my

rep told me this particular Gibson, is "Flying off the shelves...we can't keep them in stock!"

So, it would appear I'm not the only one, enthusiastic, about the 2018 SG Jr.

Hope that helps, and answers some questions.

Cheers,

CB

Archived