Gibson Brands Forums

Neil Young gear auction

Rabs

For anyone with the cash or just out of interest :)

December 9th

http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2017/neil-young/index.html

Listings

http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2017/neil-young/flipbook/124/

Julien’s Auctions has announced that PROPERTY FROM THE COLLECTION OF NEIL YOUNG will close the world-record breaking auction house’s 2017 season on December 9, 2017. Property from the two time inducted Rock and Roll Hall of Fame legend will be presented in a single owner sale, and include his extraordinary personal collection of model trains, classic cars, guitars, recording gear, clothing, memorabilia and more. Over 200 items from Young’s vast Lionel train collection will be presented, featuring dozens of rare and unique items such as prototypes for Lionel production locomotives and rolling stock, many of them from the fabled Lionel archives. Highlights include the Lionel 773 New York Central Hudson Factory Prototype locomotive ($10,000-$20,000), the Lionel Western Pacific "1954" Blue Feather Boxcar Factory Prototype (estimate: $5,000-$10,000); the Lionel Santa Fe "Clear Shell" F-3 locomotive (estimate: $3,000-$5,000) and the HORDE Tour Psychedelic Vanderbilt Hudson locomotive (estimate: $12,000-$15,000) that ran in a layout Young brought to the Horizons of Rock Developing Everywhere Tour.

2Ixngjw.jpg

Wow Neil Young is one of my absolute favorite musicians and there is some cool stuff there that I would love to bid on if the estimated price is anything to go by

1950s bassman with non original speaker estimated $200-300... Are you kidding me?? I would be so all over that

Wow Neil Young is one of my absolute favorite musicians and there is some cool stuff there that I would love to bid on if the estimated price is anything to go by

1950s bassman with non original speaker estimated $200-300... Are you kidding me?? I would be so all over that

Whoaah.. what the hell is that thing :)

8VIBXJX.jpg

Yes I saw this....

Low starting prices - Marshall stacks start at $1k.....mouth-watering vintage cars....

And he's got a friggin' Nakamichi Dragon!!!

[cool][woot]

While the Dragon was technically better, most people thought that the LX-5 sounded better. You had to tweak the Dragon too much to get proper sound out of it. I've had both, and I prefer the working LX-5 I still have.

• 2 weeks later...

There certainly is a lot of gear there, must be a story to this somewhere. Perhaps he needs the money, he did split up with his wife, that can be expensive!

Lots of artists seem to be doing this. I doubt he really needs the money, but he’s getting up there, maybe he just wanted to get rid of some of the stuff he’s picked up over the years?

We're working up Cinnamon Girl this week, add it to Ohio and Rocking Inna Free World. We like doing Neil.

rct

Nice [thumbup] Hope it goes well. I always enjoyed playing Cowgirl in the Sand with a few bands in the past and drawing it out as long as possible. I could play a solo over Am-F for 30 minutes plus and still not get bored. I love that song.

Ive heard Arlen Roth say Neil Young sucks but Neil has outsold Arlen Roth by millions.

Neil mustve been doing something amazing.

Maybe had some more unique chord voicings than your average player.

Neil Young in my opinion was good quality music!

Ive heard Arlen Roth say Neil Young sucks but Neil has outsold Arlen Roth by millions.

Neil mustve been doing something amazing.

Maybe had some more unique chord voicings than your average player.

Neil Young in my opinion was good quality music!

Again..that's one of those subjective taste things. Arlen can play circles around Neil Young, I'm sure...but what has that to do with anything? Plenty of great songs out there by groups that can't play at all.

Again..that's one of those subjective taste things. Arlen can play circles around Neil Young, I'm sure...but what has that to do with anything? Plenty of great songs out there by groups that can't play at all.

There are a million guys who can play great, YouTube is full of 14 year olds that can shred, but that doesn’t mean anything if you can’t perform or write a great song.

I had to look up who Arlen Roth even was just now, I’d never heard of him. Maybe he’s a great player but how many great songs has he written?

Like I mentioned I'm a huge fan of Neil's music, but even I will say that he was never a good guitarist 'technically'... What he does have is his own style and sound which are instantly recognisable and this is what set him apart from others. He is really a songwriter before anything and a great one in my opinion. I am a fan of very proficient guitarists too, but I probably listen to Neil more frequently than any of those guys. I'd say his solo in Cortez (the original Zuma version) is up there with any great player in terms of atmosphere, restraint and feel. Nobody could have played it better I think. I've seen a video of Joe Satriani playing Cortez once he just didn't get the feel or sound right at all - it was awful (and I am a fan of Satriani, but he can't play Neil tunes. Equally Neil couldn't play Satriani).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-b76yiqO1E

We're working up Cinnamon Girl this week, add it to Ohio and Rocking Inna Free World. We like doing Neil.

rct

That went well! Genuine, authentic, three old guys playing flannel shirted grunge from long before it was called grunge.

The only thing I dig more than Crazy Horse is Neil's love songs.

Someday I will have a band I will, it will have the right instruments and 4 good voices. I will Martin up and warble my way through Helpless, just like The Band and Neil on the Last Waltz. I wept in 1978 watching that, I still do whenever I see it, I'm sure I would never get through it with good harmonies without bawling like a baby.

And then, Harvest Moon.

rct

Archived