Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Custom Koa or Custom Quilt choice

BC Mike 118

Are you kidding? Those are some very pricey 'Birds. It's no secret that for me it would be the Quilt, but unless you are a total maple freak (cool Dove avatar, btw; I think that avatar choice might be a first around here?), and you want to do a maple square, long vs short-thing, then the Koa might give you more variety and versatility, considering that you already have the long scale Dove in maple.

As a sailor of many, many and even more years but relatively new to Gibson's beautiful acoustic instruments, I tend to revert to type.

I have always stayed close to the top of the fleet (guitarists). Once I have learned from them, I experiment.

Brands tend to over emphasise their involvement with top guitarists: I have sold a number of dinghies because the crew was 'fast'.

Make haste slowly...... Custom timbers may be like 'specials' on a restaurant menu.

Great input! Many thanks After careful consideration to tonewood variety (I already have 3 maples) and price I have decided to go with another choice entirely as a fabulous deal came up for me through my Long & McQuade chain of stores here in Canada. As you likely know there is something Gibson calls "B" Stock. It means that after assembly there was a minor issue which they fix before it goes to the wholesaler. My last few guitars have been discounted by up to $2000. So I knew I wanted a Hummingbird and I knew I wanted a different tonewood from the maples I already have, I have always wanted a Hummingbird since I was a 10 year old kid in 1960 and last but not least I love cherry burst tops. Instead of the crazy expensive price for the two choices I started with with I have now bought a Gibson limited edition Hummingbird with red spruce top and mahogany back & sides. This is 1 of only 50 made in the Custom Shop and a 2015 model new old stock. In CDN dollars it cost $3600. In US dollars I would be paying about $2800 which I think is a pretty good deal.

post-88476-056693700 1511051774_thumb.png

Mike

Putting on wine steward jacket: ". . . an excellent choice, sir".

This was something that crossed my mind when originally replying to your OP, but didn't want to make 40Yrs feel bad (his sig lists a koa'bird); if you were looking to get a Hummingbird, it would seem like the iconic spruce over 'hog would be the place to start, then explore the other incarnations once familiar with the Gibson square hog short scale sound. Very happy for you, and that you decided to go in that direction.

Putting on wine steward jacket: ". . . an excellent choice, sir".

This was something that crossed my mind when originally replying to your OP, but didn't want to make 40Yrs feel bad (his sig lists a koa'bird); if you were looking to get a Hummingbird, it would seem like the iconic spruce over 'hog would be the place to start, then explore the other incarnations once familiar with the Gibson square hog short scale sound. Very happy for you, and that you decided to go in that direction.

Agree.

Note - My Koa b/s is a J45. The H'Bird is a TV 'hog.

More or less in line with your thinking - I got the J45Ck after having explored/enjoyed the H'Bird 'hog. Which came after a couple of years with just the Jumbo Maple. That came after 40 years with only an LG1 - which went to my son shortly after snagging the SJ200. My late in life re-awakening came courtesy of that SJ200. But I set on an arbitrarily imposed limit of 3 guitars, Which seemed to me I needed to be looking for variety and touching as many bases as possible.

Archived