Gibson Brands Forums

Your favourite practice instrument

GuitarGeordie

Yes.

Because it was easily the best-sounding Strat I'd ever played in my admittedly short time (4 years or so) as a player. I compared it directly with around 7 or 8 others - both used and new - and there was absolutely no question as to which was 'right' for what I wanted.

Bear in mind that at the time in question (Dec 1979 was when I put it aside for collection in the new year) these old Strats were not sought-after. The 'Vintage' craze had yet to appear. Everyone back then wanted the newer big-head-style Woodstock/Blackmore type Strats. Also the newer Strats had very differently voiced p'ups whereas the '64 had the more old-fashioned laid-back quack and hollowness I happened to prefer.

As far as the playability is concerned, as I said above, I couldn't tell the 'board was anything but perfect when in use.

Perhaps my style was similar enough (but 100x lighter!) to the previous owners' and the wear was exactly where I would have worn the 'board myself if I had a stronger touch?

My fingertips hardly put any pressure on the surface of a 'board; the strings are pressed onto the frets but not too firmly. As said in the earlier post; my touch is light enough not to have been bothered by the depressions in the fret-work.

Pip.

A 1963 Strat wouldn't have been "vintage" in 1979 anyway. It was just a 16 YO guitar. That's like a 2000 Strat today.

A 1963 Strat wouldn't have been "vintage" in 1979 anyway. It was just a 16 YO guitar. That's like a 2000 Strat today.

I know; and I agree with you. It was just another s/h guitar at the time.

Nor did I consider it to be a "vintage" guitar when I bought it. As I said in my earlier post; the 'Vintage' craze had yet to appear.

It was a '64, though...

Pip.

I know; and I agree with you. It was just another s/h guitar at the time.

Nor did I consider it to be a "vintage" guitar when I bought it. As I said in my earlier post; the 'Vintage' craze had yet to appear.

It was a '64, though...

Pip.

Well whoever did that to that fretboard must have been a beast.

By having a Thor-like grip and mercilessly (pun) grinding the strings into the wood as you play?

This is a snap of the fingerboard taken over 35 years ago of my second-hand (then-recently purchased - but already 16 years old) Strat;

Scan-110325-0013lo-res.jpg

Those divots were DEEP!

Happily my own grip is more lady-like in the firmness stakes...

Pip.

A DIY scalloped fretboard. Brilliant! [biggrin]

1511279969[/url]' post='1894019']

Years ago I spent a very long while hunting for 'my' ideal LP (I was in no rush) and after playing literally hundreds that R0 is the one I ended up buying. Funnily enough I knew it was "The One" after around 30 seconds' worth of playing it unplugged. It's spectacularly good at providing what I require.

Since acquiring that one I've bought a further three fantastic LPs which happen to be a '91, a '93 and another '95, so make of that what you will.....

I have to say, though, that a few of the CC instruments I've played have also been spectacularly good and the Kossoff replica might well have been able to give the R0 a run for its money - if only the neck-break hadn't been quite so carefully replicated!

Pip.

You have gorgeous guitars Pip. I always love seeing them. I tried to put a photo up of my Gretsch as it's the first guitar I grab for practice, I don't have to pug it in always as it's loud enough without the amp but sounds great plugged in too. Also it's the nearest one on the guitar rack. The photo just didn't show that I tried to post. It is a beautiful red streamliner. Then I usually rotate guitars and play at least 3 every day.

Well whoever did that to that fretboard must have been a beast...

As the guitar was bought from a dealership in Glasgow, AJ, that sentiment might not be too far off the mark...

A DIY scalloped fretboard. Brilliant! [biggrin]...

Original owner was one "Y. Malmsteen", apparently. 'Yvan', perhaps?

You have gorgeous guitars Pip. I always love seeing them. I tried to put a photo up of my Gretsch as it's the first guitar I grab for practice. It is a beautiful red streamliner...

Thank you for your indulgence, Retired. I know I post them rather too frequently for decorum but I simply love seeing guitars in posts - mine or otherwise.

Have you tried the postimages.org site?

Simply use the upload button to prime an image; choose the 'Share' (left-hand edge of screen); 'Hotlink for Forums' (seven-down on my version) and copy'n'paste.

Looking forward to seeing the Streamliner!

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

Archived