Gibson Brands Forums

Happy Thanksgiving old buddies out there !

gotomsdos

'Xcuse me good fellow-forumites, , , this is totally out of line and only happens because it's Friday.

Goto - are you Chinese or is this idea completely lost in the fields of hemp.

If yes, could you please explaín what this tea-pot wants to tell us.

I found it in a second hand store and intend to give it to a sweet girl I know.

Would be deluxe to be able to tell her the message of the pot.

Of course tried to private-massage you, but it was impossible.

Have patience with me - the answer is awaited in suspense

~ py9jvwG.jpg

~ sewloTg.jpg

-M

Oh, Not here for a couple of days, so crowded...

My pleasure to take a task from you Mr.E-Minor7...Seriously reading, I can read none of it even thought I can read one thousand characters of Oracle bone inscription. But right away I'll ask on a Chinese culture forum to see if some of the ancient Chinese characters on your tea pot can be translated.

Interesting indeed Goto! Although I can't read Chinese I can usually tell if something is Chinese, Japanese or Korean.

I thought the Calligraphy on the pot looked unusual.Much more like pictograms than modern Chinese script.

I just googled Oracle bone that GOto mentioned.It does look like that...but as Goto says..still not familiar.

Maybe it's just decorative?? A mystery.

Did you pay several million dollars Mr Minor 7??It may be worth that!

Got it !

Somebody on that forum replied that they're all "寿(long longevity)"s in different variations. If these Chinese characters are written on a sheet of paper as a traditional Chinese calligraphic work piece, usually they're one hundred in all. This way It's called "百寿图(picture of one hundred long longevity)". "寿(long longevity)" is one of the traditional goals that Chinese people seek.

So count them on your tea pot? But It does not seem to have 100 Chinese characters. But anyway they're all "寿(long longevity)"s.

Dave.

My pleasure to take a task from you Mr.E-Minor7...

Magnificent, sir gotomsdos - this is building up and can come out in many directions.

Excitement climbs here in the temple.

There is a close to 100 years old Chinese tea-shop 15 minutes walk away.

I've known it all my life as my grandpa had a hairdressers saloon next to it long ago and recently bought some white temple-tree tea for the pot in that place.

Maybe the lady there should be revisited for a chime.

Then we could A/B results - with Sal in the game too of course. .

Googling - the closet script I come up with is Xiaozhuan or Lesser Seal...looks a lot like characters I see there.

Surprise you know the name "Lesser Seal script" or "Xiaozhuan".

But they're not, because Lesser Seal script or Xiaozhuan is a uniform character, it has no variation. So they're Ancient Seal.

Ok - my mother called and kept me from reading the new posts while writing and stand-by'ing my own.

But Ancient Seal wishing 'long longevity' ~ Sounds good to me.

Nothing less than 35 signs saying it, , , aha - guess the kind of well-known symbol in the middle represents it too.

Thanx gotomsdos and everyone

, , , but gentlemen, there is another side as well.

Surprise you know the name "Lesser Seal script" or "Xiaozhuan".

But they're not, because Lesser Seal script or Xiaozhuan is a uniform character, it has no variation. So they're Ancient Seal.

ha! no I don't really know I just googled and found this chart - scroll down

http://www.ancientscripts.com/chinese.html

Thought the tea pot scripts looked most like the Dazhuan and Xiaohuan with less of the Bone Oracle....but that's my totally uninformed eye looking at from a purely graphic viewpoint.

All very interesting this stuff...to me.

A mystery.

Did you pay several million dollars Mr Minor 7??It may be worth that!

Been after a green ceramic pot for quite a while - and suddenly saw this one through the window to a second-hand store. But after it was closed.

Phoned the place next day and took the bus out to get it.

The price is a secret - the same can no longer be said about the Ancient Seal code.

It will all be passed on - the many signs, the message, the unknown history of the pot, , , including a tea egg and some white temple-tree-leaves.

(I have painted my own message in white, orange and black letters on the bottom)

guess the kind of well-known symbol in the middle represents it too.

Oh, I learned Chinese culture from you !

I did not agree with you at first sight. But googled it, found you're correct ! Proud of you E-minor7 !

Here's it:

https://www.google.com.tw/search?q=%E5%AF%BF%E7%AC%A6%E5%8F%B7&rlz=1C1CHWL_zh-CNUS765&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVlv7F-Y_YAhXFrJQKHV6hDNAQsAQIJA&biw=819&bih=519

Yes, I asked her while buying the white tea.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . Long Longevitea

~ D45NuwU.jpg

There are also 6 signs below

~ VLe8X9w.jpg

Beautiful pic !

Well, you'll probably get to know in what dynasty the tea pot is made if you show the detail of 6 Chinese characters in the center of the bottom, if the tea pot is a genuine antique. In my eyes, the first three of these 6 Chinese characters look like "大明文". 大=the Great,明=Ming dynasty. But there is no one year sign with "文",so this is not a good guess.

Well, you'll probably get to know in what dynasty the tea pot is made if you show the detail of 6 Chinese characters in the center of the bottom, , ,

Think it's time the pot must continue its journey into new adventures now.

And I'm sure the next owner will appreciate this side-tale as much as I.

So thanx, gotomsdos, , , and everyone else who got involved in this mystery.

In it's own way it points toward a good new year.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . 上帝

P.S. - might review the white temple-tree tea in the great unknown future further down the line.

If all goes well, it will be enjoyed with milk and honey, , , , and perhaps a Li Po poem or two. .

Archived