MESA BOOGIE DC 10 212 60/100 Watts

V1 - Tung-Sol reissue 12AX7

V2 - High gain JJ ECC83S

V3 - Penta Labs 12AX7

V4 - Penta Labs 12AX7

V5 - Shuguang 12AX7C9

V6 - Sovtek 12AX7LPS

Quad Pair of Ruby 6L6 for Power.

Recommended by my Tube Guy, it's a high gain setup and it roar even at bedroom level.

5 little glowing glass thingies

4 bigger glass glowing thingies

I just realized while I am watching Fool's Gold how much better either Alexis Dziena or Kate Hudson's lives would be should they ever decide to go with a mature southern man' date=' like myself....

[img']http://www.northcoastjournal.com/media/issues/021408/FILM-fools-gold01.jpg[/img]

2218977452_4e92613252.jpg

I am going out on the limb here but I would be willing to bet this is far more interesting than preamp and power amp tubes...... Any one agree?

1tubedarkbright.jpg

YEP! YEP! YEP! YEP!

5 little glowing glass thingies

4 bigger glass glowing thingies

I just realized while I am watching Fool's Gold how much better either Alexis Dziena or Kate Hudson's lives would be should they ever decide to go with a mature southern man' date=' like myself....

[img']http://www.northcoastjournal.com/media/issues/021408/FILM-fools-gold01.jpg[/img]

2218977452_4e92613252.jpg

I am going out on the limb here but I would be willing to bet this is far more interesting than preamp and power amp tubes...... Any one agree?

1tubedarkbright.jpg

I just wanted to re-post it before AXE got there.

I had some mixture of preamp tubes in my amp that was recommended to me by Doug's Tubes for my Mesa Stiletto Deuce. A month or so ago, I decided to move the JJ to V1 in place of the Tung-Sol that everyone seems to rave about and liked the sound a LOT better with the JJ as the amp wasn't so damned shrill sounding anymore. So, I ordered more JJs for the rest of the preamp sockets of the Mesa as well as replaced the three Tung-Sols in my Blues Junior (which helped a little with that amp). Changing the rest of the preamp tubes after V1 in the Mesa made a noticeable change but not nearly as dramatic as simply changing V1. Worth noting is that I didn't like the Tung-Sol in my blackface Champ either as it sounded thin.

For power tubes, I use regular old Mesa EL34s in the Stiletto; power tubes don't last long enough for me to invest a lot of money into a set and I have no complaints about the way the ones I'm using sound. The Blues Junior has JJ EL84s. The Champ has what appear to be the original RCA 6V6GT power and 5Y3GT rectifier tubes and has a Telefunken in the preamp.

Bass Pre1 - #1

Mullard ECC81[12AT7] Yellow (11mm plates, 2x mica / halo getter)

Blackburn / 4th week in January 1965 - 60x gain

Bass Pre2 - #2

General Electric 7025 USA [13/-/123/2/1 dots ]

(17mm / 2x thick mica / halo getter) - 100xgain

Normal Pre1 - #3

Mullard ECC83[12AX7] Old Shield White B1K1 (14mm / 3x mica / halo getter)

Blackburn / 1st week in November 1961 - 100xgain

PhaseInverter - #4

General Electric 7025 USA [2/1/-/123/12 dots ]

(17mm / 2x thick mica / halo getter) - 100xgain

Power Push/Pull - #4 & #5

Tung-Sol 5881 NOS Matched

But the #1 and #2 slots are only "for now" until a more 'interesting' tube comes along.....

I had some mixture of preamp tubes in my amp that was recommended to me by Doug's Tubes for my Mesa Stiletto Deuce. A month or so ago' date=' I decided to move the JJ to V1 in place of the Tung-Sol that everyone seems to rave about and liked the sound a LOT better with the JJ as the amp wasn't so damned shrill sounding anymore. So, I ordered more JJs for the rest of the preamp sockets of the Mesa as well as replaced the three Tung-Sols in my Blues Junior (which helped a little with that amp). Changing the rest of the preamp tubes after V1 in the Mesa made a noticeable change but not nearly as dramatic as simply changing V1. Worth noting is that I didn't like the Tung-Sol in my blackface Champ either as it sounded thin.

For power tubes, I use regular old Mesa EL34s in the Stiletto; power tubes don't last long enough for me to invest a lot of money into a set and I have no complaints about the way the ones I'm using sound. The Blues Junior has JJ EL84s. The Champ has what appear to be the original RCA 6V6GT power and 5Y3GT rectifier tubes and has a Telefunken in the preamp.

[/quote']

Rich,

If your power tubes aren't lasitng long wouldn't that be a sign that there may be something amiss with you amp? Like the tubes are running too hot or something. Perhaps you're shooting for Eddie's brown sound and running the plate voltages high...??

I say solid state is where true quality sound is found!

Ok kidding - the amp I'm building has one 6L6 power tube (I'm sitting in a coffee shop right now and I don't remember what brand I bought) and one JJ 12Ax7 and I believe it's an RCA rectifier tube - 5YT3G I think.

Mesa amps have a fixed bias and Mesa's power tubes come color coded in relation to bias. So, the color code on the power tubes in my amp is gray, when I replace the tubes, I do it in pairs with new Mesa tubes with the same color code. I'm sure I could stick other tubes in there but, like I said, I'm happy with the stock Mesa tubes.

I should have qualified what I meant by power tubes not lasting long enough and what I meant by "a lot of money." In the roughly five years I've owned the amp, I've replaced two pairs (out of the quad) in the amp; if we were gigging regularly, it's be even more often. For the amount I use it, I think that's a pretty good life span for power tubes but I still don't like spending $44/pair every couple of years (not a huge expense, but still...) as compared to preamp tubes which seem to last forever. Mesa also offers NOS Siemens EL34s but they want $150/pair (!!!) for those and they might sound great but... f' that! So, I'm willing to spend more money on preamp tubes if I think I'll get the results that I want (bought a pair of Telefunken 12AX7s for $55 each a month ago) but I feel like I get my money's worth there.

If I were earning a living playing music, I might have a different opinion about it and be willing to spend more on power tubes but, since it's really just a hobby, I'd rather keep the cost of tubes down. I don't know... maybe it ends up being a wash but, either way, I'm fine with what I'm using in the Mesa.

Archived