Gibson Brands Forums

2018 SJ-200 in Translucent Orange

BC Mike 118

Has anyone heard of this addition for 2018? I have only seen it advertised through Canada's Long and McQuade chain...

"The King of the Flat-tops in a bold and spectacular Trans Orange finish. This stunning new color for 2018 is a dramatic twist on an iconic Gibson. Plug and play anywhere you perform with the added versatility of an LR Baggs Anthem pickup, which boasts a bridge plate mounted microphone as well as a under-saddle element for studio quality sound."

post-88476-045170000 1511508786_thumb.jpg

Details

• Super Jumbo Body Style

• Sitka Spruce Top

• Maple Back

• Traditional, Hand Scalloped X-Bracing

• 2-Piece Maple Neck

• Round Neck Profile

• 1.725" Neck Width

• Rosewood Fingerboard

• 25.5" Scale Length

• Tusq Nut

• Mother-of-Pearl Crown Inlays

• Multi-ply Top and Back Binding

• 2 Bar, Rosewood, Moustache Bridge

• Grover Rotomatic Tuners

• Gold Hardware

• LR Baggs Anthem Pickup System

• Trans Orange Finish

• Only 75 will be produced

"Only 75 will be produced." So it's not a "Limited Edition". 25 too many.

Of course, considering the color - 75 too many!

Seriously - there are certainly 75 people in the Western Hemisphere who would not buy a natural blonde or a sunburst but will spring for this.

This is a great way for Bozeman to sell a few more of each model.

And, as the orange fades over the years - the guitar will appreciate in value - a win/win !

"Only 75 will be produced." So it's not a "Limited Edition". 25 too many.

Of course, considering the color - 75 too many!

Seriously - there are certainly 75 people in the Western Hemisphere who would not buy a natural blonde or a sunburst but will spring for this.

This is a great way for Bozeman to sell a few more of each model.

And, as the orange fades over the years - the guitar will appreciate in value - a win/win !

I guess "Beauty is in the eye etc..." but it doesn't look very orange to me - more yellowy. So 50 is the magic Limited Edition number? When I look at the serial number of a Gibson I know the last 3 digits mean the number of guitars produced that day but does that cover ALL guitars made that day or just the type of guitar that serial number is on? One more question from a newb to this board - How does 62burst get those pictures full size in the post? I can't get them larger than a postage stamp without being told they are too large.

Thanks,

Mike

Yes, the Translucent Orange SJ-200 had me bracing for retina burn. Many of guitars Martin builds with aging toner look more orange as they attempt to capture the pumpkin look some of their old guitars can acquire with age.

Pictures can be embedded here by using a photo hosting site such as imgur.com. Photobucket has literally stuck it to themselves with advertising, and holding your photo albums hostage. Direct embedding without having to use the "insert image" button here on the reply page can be done by copying the link from imgur's "BBCode" button on the right side of the page after you've selected your uploaded image (thx, Buc). Do a screen capture, and upload it to imgur. Good luck.

'Woof- don't know if it was the same guitar (74328-7), but Folkway had both an opaque 1942 J-35 and L-00. This 1942 J-35 was being referred to as an Opaque when it was on eBay with a horrendous bridge repair held on with fiberglass. Excellent bridge repair and paint blending, while still maintaining the lacquer checking:

Ks3a6k6.png?2

BC Mike- nice bunch of guitars you've got there. For some reason, the Trans Cherry J-200 doesn't sting too badly. Neither does the chocolatey one at the other end- is that a 200 Jr?

Also- if that is an exterior wall that they're on, I hope you are vigilant. . . things can happen when the back of the guitar's temp is vastly different than conditions at the front.

'Woof- don't know if it was the same guitar (74328-7), but Folkway had both an opaque 1942 J-35 and L-00. This 1942 J-35 was being referred to as an Opaque when it was on eBay with a horrendous bridge repair held on with fiberglass. Excellent bridge repair and paint blending, while still maintaining the lacquer checking:

Ks3a6k6.png?2

BC Mike- nice bunch of guitars you've got there. For some reason, the Trans Cherry J-200 doesn't sting too badly. Neither does the chocolatey one at the other end- is that a 200 Jr?

Also- if that is an exterior wall that they're on, I hope you are vigilant. . . things can happen when the back of the guitar's temp is vastly different than conditions at the front.

definitely an interior wal. The one on the end that looks chocolatey is a Wine Red Limited J200 from 2012. I was set on getting a Cherry 200 when this one became available at a price I couldn't resist. Then I got a call about the Cherry one and that's why I have both, lol Here is a better pic of the Wine Red - sorry the pics are sideways.

IMG_0898_zps2p1imcuq.jpg

IMG_0891f_zpsebumavi1.jpg

. . . and a Ricky in there, too? I see Mike has come to the red guitars from the electrics- a natural progression, then.

Geez, guys, this has gone from pin ups to centerfold real quickly.

It's your fault 62burst, lol once you told me it's easier to upload from a host than from my own computer it was all bets off...the Ricky is a 20 year old 360 Fireglow 12 String. Guess who my favorite band was in the 60's (besides the Beatles of course) The dog was not part of the deal

12193847_10153035538241899_6135444415143523099_n_zpswhastsjk.jpg

Archived