Gibson Brands Forums

Neil Young gives away music

BC Mike 118

Yep, I heard about it a few weeks back. Being a huge NY fan I'm very excited about it. I think the recent archive release Hitchhiker (from 1976) was excellent and I'm looking forward to some more unreleased albums being on there such as Homegrown, Oceanside/ Countryside, Island in the Sun and so on.

I don't know how to feel about music sharing. As a consumer, it's awesome. For recording artists, it's getting to be futile to record LP's. I think a artists might be better served to release EP format stuff, (4songs or so) and have material dropping more often. The days of fans going to "Record Land" and buying your new record seem to be over.

Neil Young (always on the cutting edge) is realizing that record sales are not going to be the jauggernaut it used to be..you may as well get your material out there in people's hands and build your fanbase, sell concert tickets, merch, and "collector compilations", vinyl special issues and stuff like that.

The problem with the music business today is now that anyone can record music...anyone can record music. I guess we take the good with the bad.

I think artists and bands that are used to the big time find it futile to record albums because they are not going to sell the numbers they are used to.

Newer bands and artists release CDs often and now that records sell well any album that has modest success gets pressed.

I have bought a lot of records directly from Nuclear Blast USA and Napalm Records USA in the last couple of years.

The way we obtain music is different now. It is just the way it is. I miss record stores. I go to the used record store by my house every once and a while and pick up some vinyl. I think the last stuff I got was Yes - Relayer, Drama, Close To The Edge, and Fragile.

Yea, I miss the local record stores, small guitar shops and etc. Change has some complicated dynamics.

The way we obtain music is different now. It is just the way it is. I miss record stores. I go to the used record store by my house every once and a while and pick up some vinyl. I think the last stuff I got was Yes - Relayer, Drama, Close To The Edge, and Fragile.

over the last 10 years I've been slowly selling off my vinyl. at one point I had about 400 albums. I'm down to about 30. I kept all my Allman Brothers, Hot Tuna, Yes, John Prine & an old Robert Hunter album. Chris Squires "Fish Out of Water" album as well.

Archived