Gibson Brands Forums

Thinking of 12 strings

bassetman

Too bad your 12-string find didn't pan out.

I'm a big 12 string fan. I currently have eight acoustic 12 strings:

. 1972 Epiphone FT-165 sitka/hog (sold off)

. 1979 Takamine sitka/hog .(Martin 12-2 clone)

. 1995 Gibson J-100 Xtra sitka/hog

. 2000 Martin J12-15 all hog

. 2007 Guild F-412 sitka/maple

. 2008 Gibson Songwriter sitka/rosewood

. 2011 Rainsong JM-3000 carbon fiber

. 2015 Taylor K-66 all koa

. 2016 Taylor 562ce all hog 12-fret

My favorite is the Guild F-412 - a bit on the bright side (but I like the jangle) and great volume range, sounding fantastic from gentle picking/strumming to strong strumming with powerful projection. . Most interesting is the Martin J12-15 - the all hog takes the edge off the high end jangle - warm and mellow. Most curious is the Taylor 562ce - it's a 12 fret 12 string, and being all hog again takes the edge off the high end. Most surprising is the Rainsong JM-3000 - even though it's all carbon fiber, the sound is unexpectedly balanced from bass to high end. <added> Most underrated is the Gibson Songwriter - I find it plays and sounds great; and can be purchased very reasonably used.

Regarding tuning and staying in tune: More strings means more ways to go out of tune. It's always wise to make sure the guitar is setup nicely with a well cut nut (special attention to the slot depths), as well as the correct saddle setup as some guitars require more compensations than just the B-string. This is especially true of 12 strings. One time I got a good deal on a 12 simply because the previous owner had a lot of trouble tuning it. I could see the nut slots for the high end strings and the low E weren't cut deep enough which was causing strings to sound sharp when fretted in the first three or four frets - I took out my nut files and it was an easy fix.

Some things to look at: Bridge tilt possibly accompanied by belly rise and or deck sinking. The neck angle. The saddle height.

Best of luck in your hunt. . B)

Nice summary BK

and a very elecletic collection.

I do share you opinion of the Songwriter Ive had two, the first was a dog the second is a bit knocked about but sounds great.

The nut is crucial as is condition of machine heads

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know you said you were looking for a rosewood, but I owned a Taylor Leo Kottke Signature Model 12 string (mahogany b/s) for quite a few years. It is actually built to use heavy gauge strings and to be tuned down to C#. That fella just roared! I sold it only because I eventually realized I'm just not a 12 string guy. But I did really like the guitar. The only Taylor I've ever owned (and will probably ever own [biggrin]). There is one for sale on reverb.com with an asking price of $2100, but I think that is overpriced. I would probably offer $1600 and be willing to go up only a bit from there.

Monday I’m taking a long drive to look at a Breedlove. A Used Solo Cocert 12, a mid priced 12 string for them. If it’s decent the price is very good. About a 175 miles to get to.. fingers crossed. It is rosewood back and sides and a cedar top.

Guild makes a fine 12-string. They tend to play well, stay in tune, and are quite well built. Many here would happily opt for a Guild if 12-string fever was upon us. I've found that 12-string guitars don't lend themselves to as many applications 6-stringers, but have a dimension all their own. Transition is mostly a matter of learning to achieve what you consider to be the 'best' 12-string sound for you and your material - and deciding where and how it can enhance your performance. I've never permanently adopted one - though have owned a few - because I played them so seldom.

Roger Hodgson has played a Guild 12 String forever. Sounds great on "Give a little bit"

I have been looking at the blinged out Dove & Hummingbird 12-strings but $8,000 Canadian is pretty crazy.

https://www.long-mcq...lter=5000-15000

There is a nice bird on the Gibson site for $3650 US that is more reasonable,

http://www.gibson.co...-12-String.aspx

I have a Takamine 12 that does not like to stay in tune and is not great sounding.

Roger Hodgson has played a Guild 12 String forever. Sounds great on "Give a little bit"

I have been looking at the blinged out Dove & Hummingbird 12-strings but $8,000 Canadian is pretty crazy.

https://www.long-mcq...lter=5000-15000

There is a nice bird on the Gibson site for $3650 US that is more reasonable,

http://www.gibson.co...-12-String.aspx

I have a Takamine 12 that does not like to stay in tune and is not great sounding.

Just parted with. Bird 12 to another forumite

I loved it

He loves it now

Great guitars

The one on EBay is overpriced

You will find cheaper the Dove is a one off........allegedly

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-Hummingbird-12-string-Cherry-Sunburst-Acoustic-Guitar/182883355967?hash=item2a94b28d3f:g:zXwAAOSwvR5aAX04

They are a breed into their own. like a classical/nylon a bit of a niche kind of item. I've had a few, and I do eventually plan to get another.

It's a great tool to have, but not one you may use a lot.

The biggest item for focus is play-ability. a low budget 12 string, is like a low budget nylon IMHO. in that you get what ya pay for. Tuning is a PITA, but if it's a solid axe, it will hold tune. In the right setting, you can't beat em. As a primary player, I don't see it happening.

The best one I've ever had action wise was an ovation super shallow bowl legend 12.. that thing sounded like a carnival once you plugged in. Acoustically, a bit on the "meh" side with that one. and I had a hard time getting it to sit on my body correctly unless I was standing or on a bar stool. but still it was pretty awesome sounding and playing. I often wish I never sold it.

If you go this route my advice is find a good one for a good price, (try not to break the bank) with a good case, (because it will probably spend a lot of time in it.) and just hold on to it.

They are a breed into their own. like a classical/nylon a bit of a niche kind of item. I've had a few, and I do eventually plan to get another.

It's a great tool to have, but not one you may use a lot.

The biggest item for focus is play-ability. a low budget 12 string, is like a low budget nylon IMHO. in that you get what ya pay for. Tuning is a PITA, but if it's a solid axe, it will hold tune. In the right setting, you can't beat em. As a primary player, I don't see it happening.

The best one I've ever had action wise was an ovation super shallow bowl legend 12.. that thing sounded like a carnival once you plugged in. Acoustically, a bit on the "meh" side with that one. and I had a hard time getting it to sit on my body correctly unless I was standing or on a bar stool. but still it was pretty awesome sounding and playing. I often wish I never sold it.

If you go this route my advice is find a good one for a good price, (try not to break the bank) with a good case, (because it will probably spend a lot of time in it.) and just hold on to it.

it will be fun to see. If i like it i will see about a top shelf guitar in the fall next year. if they dont fit my style of play the few hundred on this Breedlove is small price for knowing. I do appreciate all the opinions . Generally the best way to ensure Ill do something is to tell me i should not. ;)

I always have to have a 12 around; the Guild F-212XL in my avatar is the one I've had for 35 years or so. I've had a couple of B-45-12's, a Martin D-12-20, a couple of those weird old Framus Texans, an Alvarez or two...maybe others I've forgotten. I wouldn't want to be a 12-only guy, but I wouldn't want to be without one, just cuz.

I always have to have a 12 around; the Guild F-212XL in my avatar is the one I've had for 35 years or so. I've had a couple of B-45-12's, a Martin D-12-20, a couple of those weird old Framus Texans, an Alvarez or two...maybe others I've forgotten. I wouldn't want to be a 12-only guy, but I wouldn't want to be without one, just cuz.

Similar to how I feel. Soooo....the Breedlove is a solo series with a cedar top ...about 6 of the frets from the nut down, or is it up, have been pulled out....I talked him down to 50 bucks. His son pulled the frets to put gold one on then found out it was too expensive. I have a pretty good selection of fret wire so it should not take long to fix it up. The rest of the Guitar is very clean and new. I will have to make a nut as well, this one is cracked. Pics when I get home.

The Guild F212XL is a fine guitar. Should have kept the one I had, but wasn't playing enough 12 string back then.

So after installing some frets and some serious neck adjustments. It plays pretty well except for operator errors. I don’t think it will ever be the best sounding guitar but it’s a long way from top of the line....that said it’s a kick to play and has already convinced me to look towards a Guild 512 in the spring ...possibly a higher level Breedlove but I already like the way Guilds sound.

aXo65MQ.jpg

va1PSji.jpg

JBA6Tbv.jpg

Not bad for a 50$ outlay and 400 miles driven....plus installing 6 frets.

This thing is fun. The song “Wish You Were Here” finally sounds right. The larger reaches and spreads ar going to take getting used to. If I can get decent I’ll get an American Guitar, likely a Guild. The string change was pretty quick with the pinless bridge. I have to play a better instrument to know if the poor tone ....it just does not sing like a Gibson that costs several times as much...is all 12s or just this one since it’s the only one I’ve played..Next will be to try the Mandolin.

Well that’ll surely do, especially at that price.

Congrats. . B)

Thanks, I had to expand the tangs on the frets to get them to stay down well. To say they were pulled without skill is an understatement. Anyone that works on it again will hate me but it’s good enough to get the feel. It frets really nicely just doesn’t sing.

....it's a kick to play and has already convinced me to look towards a Guild 512 in the spring...

That's what happened to me. Got an inexpensive Tak 12, which inspired me to get a Guild. I LOVE my JF30-12, which is a blinged-down F412.

The F512 would be an excellent choice. Good luck finding one at a reasonable price!

That's what happened to me. Got an inexpensive Tak 12, which inspired me to get a Guild. I LOVE my JF30-12, which is a blinged-down F412.

The F512 would be an excellent choice. Good luck finding one at a reasonable price!

Time is on my side. Very glad I gave it a try. Breedlove has an much nicer 12 at about 2000 and then more at 5000 and up. The Martin is also an option. I’ve always liked Guilds so that is tops on the list.

There is a 1967 Brazilian f312 on reverb for $2250. No idea why it hasn't sold yet. If I hadn't picked up an f512 this spring I'd be all over that one.

It’ll be awhile before I’m in position to buy. I’ll look at used a bit but would rather acquire a new one.

Archived