Gibson Brands Forums

What's The Difference?

rockstar232007

I recently deleted a thread that I started on, how to spot the differences with real LPs, and the fakes (pics included), and not because of the first couple of replies, but because I realized that some people are afraid that the Big Scary Chinese Counterfeiters (slight exaggeration) would have seen it and tried to "fix" their mistakes, now! my question is what is the difference between my thread and this article posted on GIBSON'S WEBSITE! http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/CounterfeitGibsons/?

Now, I'm not trying to spark an argument or anything like that, because I like you guys, and believe me, the last thing I would want to do is piss any of you off, but I genuinely would like to know, what is the difference?

they have the legal rights to the products' date=' and they are the authority

plus if they already did it, you shouldn't have to[/quote']Ok, I'll give you that one, but there is nothing wrong with trying to give a little more detailed information, I mean, for all we know these counterfeiters probably have rooms full of real Gibsons to use as models, but are too lazy/cheap to copy every little detail. Just a thought.

I also agree with you Rockstar.

The purpose of the website Gibson made is to make sure people are informed about there products, I think anyway.

I will assist anyione anytime on this forum if I can.

Being worried about people surveying this site and making corrections to there illicit products based on our observations is pure paranoia.

As always, just my humble opinion.

I'll help out as well when someone comes on here with a guitar that they would like some advice on. As far as posting a thread for the sole purpose of pointing out all the flaws, I don't care too much one way or another but I'd just as soon leave that to Gibson.

If anyone needs advice prior to (or even after) purchasing a guitar they might have doubts about, feel free to come here for advice.

Hey rockstar, I dont think there was anything wrong with your original post, but, as stated by ninety1vee, they are the company, they already posted something about it, and if you were out to buy a gibson, who would you ask first? THE COMPANY, not some crazy guys in a forum...

Maybe you can go back and check a thread about "my supreme flame inlay 3 pickups" or something like that... the guy that posted it ](*,) wouldnt believe us it was fake for 5 pages...

But I think if gibson told you "it is a fake" you would believe, wouldnt you?

So I guess its time for us to let go, and let gibson take care of that stuff, it is their company after all, and I already have great gibson giutars that are real and I know how to spot a fake (same goes for most of the people that have been in the forum for some time now).

The only thing we should try to do is help guys that (inteligently) come here and ASK BEFORE BUYING, help the "noobs" and help anyone we know that is on the hunt for that great gibson deal.

The others, the ones that go and buy the great deal from the chinese web and think we are all stupid for paying as much as 10 times the same for "the same guitar", they can go and f.uck theirselves if you ask me... they want the ferrari and the appartment with a great view but they want it for cheap... so let them have it.

for all we know these counterfeiters probably have rooms full of real Gibsons to use as models' date='[/quote']

Why would they? ...when they can buy them in chine for 100 bucks instead... :-& (and I think that is probably what they do... they buy one of those great 100 buck gibsons from their neighbour and then copy it...).

I also agree with you Rockstar.

The purpose of the website Gibson made is to make sure people are informed about there products' date=' I think anyway.

I will assist anyione anytime on this forum if I can.

Being worried about people surveying this site and making corrections to there illicit products based on our observations is pure paranoia.

As always, just my humble opinion.[/quote']

+1. We aren't talking about sophisticated technology or design here. They know what they are doing wrong--and they do it because it would be too expensive or time consuming to replicate.Talking about it does more good than harm because it helps people learn what to look for and it brings attention to the fact that fake Gibsons are flooding the market.

Amen brother! However, we should respect those who does not want to divulge their observations. All in all you will get a pretty good education in fake-spotting here on the forum.

DJ

--

+1. We aren't talking about sophisticated technology or design here. They know what they are doing wrong--and they do it because it would be too expensive or time consuming to replicate.Talking about it does more good than harm because it helps people learn what to look for and it brings attention to the fact that fake Gibsons are flooding the market.

+1

If the Chinese can succeed at stealing ours, as well as others, military secrets, I'm sure it's not hard to learn the specifications of a Gibson guitar.

Though, I'm not sure what help it does to have threads going several pages deep for someone who refuses to acknowledge they purchased a fake (thinking of the supreme flame 3 pickup deal as of late). I mean, it seems to me that there is a line that is sometimes crossed from the helpful to the ridiculous. Why oblige a possible counterfeiter or someone who just wants to argue that they have the best deal of the century?

Everyone should be more concerned about helping potential buyers stay away from fakes by keeping them educated than helping counterfeiters make better fakes. There are many guitars that some of you can immediately notice as being fake while others don't even have a clue.

The counterfeiters already know what a guitar is supposed to look like. The problem is that they aren't willing to spend more money, time, and effort correcting things that seem minuscule to them. If they aren't going to take care of the easy stuff, they definitely aren't going to visit a foreign message board and try to decipher what they're doing wrong.

The good outweighs the bad that may come out of revealing flaws in fakes.

Everyone should be more concerned about helping potential buyers stay away from fakes by keeping them educated than helping counterfeiters make better fakes. There are many guitars that some of you can immediately notice as being fake while others don't even have a clue.

The counterfeiters already know what a guitar is supposed to look like. The problem is that they aren't willing to spend more money' date=' time, and effort correcting things that seem minuscule to them. If they aren't going to take care of the easy stuff, they definitely aren't going to visit a foreign message board and try to decipher what they're doing wrong.

The good outweighs the bad that may come out of revealing flaws in fakes.[/quote']

Thank you.. +1000

I think these guys can make an exact copy if they want to. I don't think information should be held back regarding how to spot these fakes.

All the Q's and threads about fakes has me worried. Has anyone ever come across fakes at Guitar Center? My baby is the blonde beauty limited run for GC and Musicans Friend, and Gibson said the # is legit, so I quit worrying. Should I still be concerned?

All the Q's and threads about fakes has me worried. Has anyone ever come across fakes at Guitar Center? My baby is the blonde beauty limited run for GC and Musicans Friend' date=' and Gibson said the # is legit, so I quit worrying. Should I still be concerned?[/quote']

No, don't worry. You purchased it from an authorized dealer and you verified the serial number w/Gibson - you're all set. The fakes are really only a concern when purchased online or privately from an individual.

All the Q's and threads about fakes has me worried. Has anyone ever come across fakes at Guitar Center? My baby is the blonde beauty limited run for GC and Musician's Friend' date=' and Gibson said the # is legit, so I quit worrying. Should I still be concerned?[/quote']I think that the guys at GC can tell the difference between the real Gibsons and the fake ones, so I wouldn't worry about that. The GC/MF Limited Edition LPs are made by Gibson, for these companies to sell as exclusives, sort of like a pre-promo, promo, so they are the real deal. And just remember, knowing what to look for, in the fine details of Gibson guitars, can help you determine the distinguishing characteristics between the two (real v. fake). Hope this helps!

When you have more than 20 people browsing a sub-forum at any given time, participating forum members are volunteers that provide and enhance the body of knowledge available to new users that would otherwise lock up the company website and the time it takes to get an answer.

Archived