Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NightTrain622

Headstock Change

I've always preferred the Gibson headstock, on Epi guitars that are of Gibson designs. Les Paul, SG, 335, etc. Like the ones

for the "Japanese Only" market! I'd like to see Epiphone do that, on all those (Gibson) clone models. The Epiphone original

designs, should retain the Epi headstock, be it the extended "hourglass" or the clipped cornered "Jazz Box" verion(s).

The exception, for me, would be on the Sheraton. I love the old "Kalamazoo" era headstock, as opposed to the clipped corner

version they're using now...which, to ME, is too large for the Thin-line Sheraton body. To me, it looks out of proportion.

But, that's just ME. [tongue][biggrin]

CB

Couldn’t have said it better myself CB

• Upvote 1

I own two 1950s Epis and never really noticed the headstocks so I guess they do not bother me. Both are acoustic guitars though. For me I guess it comes down to whether you see the feature as having a sonic payoff or as just aesthetics. I had always heard that back in the day Epiphone went with the larger headstock to add mass to the neck of their archtops which in theory increased sustain. Kind of like the Fender Fat Finger. So I guess the question is, assuming it did enhance the sound in its day, is it still necessary today or, if not, do you keep the headstocks because of tradition.

At first with my LP standard it was kind of like "yeah the headstock looks a little strange". But after setting the guitar up for me and loving it, that strange looking headstock began to look really cool. I've had some past girlfriends effect me the same way :).

• Upvote 1

Fortunately I love the Epiphone Tree of Life headstock. Goes back a long way and has a lot of history behind it. I understand what you say completely though as one headstock I've never warmed up to is the one found on the Heritage guitars.

89lRS1x.jpg

• Upvote 1

Here is what you need :

image_58.jpg

lawl.gif

That's funny right there. Looks like a hairpiece for Epi's [thumbup]

• Downvote 1

Agreed. I like Epi's for what they are, a great budget-minded guitar. No need to get pretentious.

Same here! I think Epiphone headstocks look fine. And even elegant, if they're bound and have some extra bling.

Giibson looks nice too, but it's also impractical, considering the headstock angle. But at the end of the day....it's just the headstock.

I think as guitarists sometimes we put too much emphasis on the least important part of the guitar msp_tongue.gif

Here is what you need :

lawl.gif

I don't wanna see what the Beast is doing with his other hand......

Edited by mihcmac
  • Upvote 1

Not Legit... :unsure:

That's the first thing that popped into my head, when I saw his posting......

• Upvote 1