Gibson Brands Forums

Should I buy a new amp?

Megafrog

Tis the season for some cool guitar and amp deals it seems. I just picked up one of Guitar Center's deal of the day B-52 ATX-100 amps. I don't know how good it will be but for a true tube 100 watt amp at $249, why not.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/?CJAID=10453836&CJPID=46157&CJSID=ebs1562811968sbe

I will have to ask my neighbors when I get it how it sounds... [crying]

Tis the season for some cool guitar and amp deals it seems. I just picked up one of Guitar Center's deal of the day B-52 ATX-100 amps. I don't know how good it will be but for a true tube 100 watt amp at $249, why not.

http://www.guitarcen...bs1562811968sbe

damn ... for $249, how bad can it be ? I don't blame you at all. looking forward to hearing what you think about it

You pretty much get what you pay for when it comes to tube amps. It seems like a lot of amp for the money. At the same time, I'd be a little skeptical about quality. If it dies and then it takes $300 to fix it, well, then it's not going to be a good situation. [thumbup]

true. and BBD should know. he knows his stuff,

http://www.guitarcenter.com/?CJAID=10453836&CJPID=46157&CJSID=ebs1562811968sbe

The guitarist in my cousin’s band has a B-52 amp. I don’t know anything about them except that he’s been using his for years. I’ve seen them play probably a dozen times over the last few years, he plays a Schecter and uses heavy distortion. To my ears it sounds basically like any other overdriven tube amp.

Not special but certainly not bad and as far as I know, just from talking to them after shows etc, watching shows, he’s never had any problems with it. It’s his main amp. I actually asked him about it when I first saw it because I’d never heard of a B-52 amp. I’d probably know more about it if I could stand talking to him but he’s a bit of a **** so I usually try to avoid him.

You pretty much get what you pay for when it comes to tube amps. It seems like a lot of amp for the money. At the same time, I'd be a little skeptical about quality. If it dies and then it takes $300 to fix it, well, then it's not going to be a good situation. [thumbup]

Like I said in my other post, the guitarist in my cousins band has a b-52 and he’s been using it for years.

They usually cost more than $250 so judging it by that price isn’t fair.

If I had any need whatsoever for another 100 watt head, I would get it. I think the ad said the regular price was $600. I have no doubt that a good hand-wired tube amp could be made in China for a $600 MSRP.

What does an Iphone, or android sell for? (Approx $600) Sometimes much cheaper for stale inventory. I don't think the price is a reason to NOT buy this amp. 100 watts is a bunch...and amps usually don't hit the 'sweet spot' till between 12-3...on a 100 watt amp, that's teeth-rattling loud.

The talk of the price meaning the amp is garbage is silly. For a gigging musician, that would be a much better choice than a $900 Line 6.

If I had any need whatsoever for another 100 watt head, I would get it. I think the ad said the regular price was $600. I have no doubt that a good hand-wired tube amp could be made in China for a $600 MSRP.

What does an Iphone, or android sell for? (Approx $600) Sometimes much cheaper for stale inventory. I don't think the price is a reason to NOT buy this amp. 100 watts is a bunch...and amps usually don't hit the 'sweet spot' till between 12-3...on a 100 watt amp, that's teeth-rattling loud.

The talk of the price meaning the amp is garbage is silly. For a gigging musician, that would be a much better choice than a $900 Line 6.

If I wanted another tube amp I’d buy a Fender Twin. I’ve seen them as low as $600 on Craigslist and I love the way they sound when cranked. I have a 100 watt Marshall and a vintage Deluxe Reverb already though so I can’t really justify the Twin. Plus they’re a pain in the *** to haul around.

My next amp is probably going to be a solid state Yamaha THR100, they sound good, are getting cheap and are light. I saw one on EBay for $330 shipped a while ago. I should have bought it.

I do my own tube amp repairs so I am not worried about the cost of that. I tend to play around with tube swaps so I look at this as a fairly inexpensive toy.

The fact that you have the skills to work on your own amps makes that an absolute no brainer purchase. Jump on it brother! Let us know what you think of it once you have some time with it. [thumbup]

Everyone else is selling them for $599 so for the price I figured why not. It has got to be at least as good as a Bugera (I hope). . .

I am a Proud, (Yes..I said Proud) owner of 2 Bugera amps, and a Bugera bass amp (great tone btw) and I have tracked more guitar work on the 2 Bugeras than my Soldano or 5150. I don't believe that for more than a minute that my Chinese made Tri-rec head and 22 watt /13 clone are anything less than excellent amplifiers.

I don't know a whole hell of a lot about this B-52...(don't know if it's class A or A/B or how it's rectified etc), but a good all-tube amp is a STEAL at that kinda money. Doesn't happen often. Not to mention, it's certainly loud enough to gig. Drop some Vintage 30's in a wooden box and you're set to play Woodstock.

I am a Proud, (Yes..I said Proud) owner of 2 Bugera amps, and a Bugera bass amp (great tone btw) and I have tracked more guitar work on the 2 Bugeras than my Soldano or 5150. I don't believe that for more than a minute that my Chinese made Tri-rec head and 22 watt /13 clone are anything less than excellent amplifiers.

I don't know a whole hell of a lot about this B-52...(don't know if it's class A or A/B or how it's rectified etc), but a good all-tube amp is a STEAL at that kinda money. Doesn't happen often. Not to mention, it's certainly loud enough to gig. Drop some Vintage 30's in a wooden box and you're set to play Woodstock.

I have a Bugera 333XL Infinium that sounds amazing however it is my second one because the transformer fried on my first one after 2 weeks. I have owned a 1960 that went out (transformer again) after a month and a V22 that had the channel switch break (replaced that part). I have a Bugera 1990 that I have been using for almost 3 years that I have gigged with and it works great. Suffice it to say, if a Bugera works good, you have a great amp but my experience with them is not the best.

I have a Bugera 333XL Infinium that sounds amazing however it is my second one because the transformer fried on my first one after 2 weeks. I have owned a 1960 that went out (transformer again) after a month and a V22 that had the channel switch break (replaced that part). I have a Bugera 1990 that I have been using for almost 3 years that I have gigged with and it works great. Suffice it to say, if a Bugera works good, you have a great amp but my experience with them is not the best.

I toured with a Bugera 6260 (120 watt Peavey Clone) with a band called Booger. I took the "A" off the Bugera, making it a Buger. That amp was bomb-proof. My bandmate's amps had all sorts of issues all the time. My experience went so good with that amp, (don't really wanna tour with my JVM 800...stuff happens man) I bought more of em. I don't tour anymore, but I am recording guitar all the time. The key with these cheap chinese amps is celstion Vintage 30's...I use a DIY cab mostly now with the Vintage 30's and get people raving about the tone.

I have a Bugera bass amp too. It's a beast and I use it more for recording guitars than basses...In fact I track most bass through a guitar amp along with DI. Go figure?

There's a thing in the amp business called Bugera's disease. Just kidding, I made that up. I just fixed a Bugera Trirec that had the input jack ripped clean out of it. They are not easy to work on at all. The amp almost had to be trashed but we managed to butcher in a new jack and get it back to the customer before it exploded into a heap of parts. :rolleyes:

Sorry to the OP, I came in late to this topic.

I had a B52 for AT212 I think it was called? 100 watts and 2/12 speakers. I had it for at least 5 years before I had to have a repair done. I was happy with it. The thing I liked best about that amp was the volume. There was an actual difference all the way from 1-10. Unlike most tube amps that get ear splitting loud at about 2 or 3.

Archived