Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Strings

NighthawkChris

I recently purchased some DR guitar strings - Cool Blues or something of the sort - and these were absolute crap! I don't know why I tried these out because my experience with the DR Black Beauties was pretty poor as well. They claim this hand-wound coated string is the best, but they really aren't. I was running into an issue where I was stretching a new set, and the high E was breaking on me all the time. And not in the middle of the core, but the ball at the end was separating (unraveling)! OK, so I tried another set, same thing happened, and again. 3 times! I mean, I couldn't stretch the high E without it losing the ball at the end. I went to some nickel wound D'Addario's and life was good once again. I mean, I wasn't even applying much tension to stretch and the DR string fell apart. These sets were around $9 each and I bought 10 of them. So I turned them in, never again to try these pieces of crap again. FYI, gauge was 10-46 in accordance with A-440Hz standard tuning. Another thing that bothered me which I didn't realize as much is these are coated with some blue stuff - strings are straight up blue, all 6 of them. I sort of suspected these were colored, but wasn't too sure as this was my first experience with these Cool Blues. But I have grown some fair distaste for colored, coated, whatever strings. Give me something "regular" please and thank you. So, I'm going to stick with the 'ol reliable strings D'Addario's or Gibson (which honestly aren't that bad if you ask me - used these for years). I don't particularly care for Dean Markley's, Slinky's, etc. I want to stick with one consistent brand that allows me to stretch a newly "installed" string.

From 1979 when I got my first electric guitar until 1985, I tried every brand of string I could find at that time. GHS Boomers broke all the time. I can't remember all the brands I tried but there must have been a few different ones and I had issues with them breaking or coming unraveled or some kind of issue with them. I play with a fairly hard attack sometimes, with a heavy pick. Guitars were always professionally set up and perfect. The first thing I do when I buy a new guitar is change the strings to my preferred brand and gauge.

Once I switched to Ernie Ball Super Slinkies in or around 1985 (Gauges .009, .011, .016, .024w, .032w, .042w) I've not had any issues since. They're on all of my electric guitars and I've broken exactly two strings in 32 years. I don't even try other strings any more since I've had such great luck with them. If it ain't broke...

I did try 10's on my Les Paul Standard and didn't like them. I'm not sure what the brand was any more but they were the ones with the colored ball ends.

When I first started playing, the first set of strings I ever bought were Ernie Ball 10's. After a year or so, I tried D'Addario's which I just never liked as much as the EBs so I went back. I used DR strings for a good year or two and I felt they did the trick. One day I was out of strings and needed a new set so my bandmate gave me a set of his Ernie Balls and I haven't gone back since. I don't know what it is...if it is a real difference or a perceived difference but they just feel and sound the best to me.

From 1979 when I got my first electric guitar until 1985, I tried every brand of string I could find at that time. GHS Boomers broke all the time. I can't remember all the brands I tried but there must have been a few different ones and I had issues with them breaking or coming unraveled or some kind of issue with them. I play with a fairly hard attack sometimes, with a heavy pick. Guitars were always professionally set up and perfect. The first thing I do when I buy a new guitar is change the strings to my preferred brand and gauge.

Once I switched to Ernie Ball Super Slinkies in or around 1985 (Gauges .009, .011, .016, .024w, .032w, .042w) I've not had any issues since. They're on all of my electric guitars and I've broken exactly two strings in 32 years. I don't even try other strings any more since I've had such great luck with them. If it ain't broke...

I did try 10's on my Les Paul Standard and didn't like them. I'm not sure what the brand was any more but they were the ones with the colored ball ends.

I used Ernie Balls, sometimes slinkies sometimes different sizes. I always break the low E. I have, I kid you not, probably 20 sets of strings right now that have every string but the low E. I’ve got boxes full of random strings because I keep breaking Low Es and buy sets just for the E.

I play pretty hard and tend to hit the Low E more I guess but it gets annoying. I’ve tried all kinds of brands too.

Having allergy to nickel really sucks. I have to use cobalt, steel, or coated strings...all of which cost more and sound crappier than plain old Ernie Ball '10'a...(as good of a string as I have played),,

I thought my fingers were just too soft, that I wasn't playing as much as other players, that milk-colored blisters were normal...Finally a guy at an open mic night told me about nickel allergy. (IF your skin turns green from cheap jewelry, you probably have it).

The EB cobalts are pretty good. D'Addario Steels aren't bad. It's something you overcome with pickup height and attack.

I used Ernie Balls, sometimes slinkies sometimes different sizes. I always break the low E. I have, I kid you not, probably 20 sets of strings right now that have every string but the low E. I’ve got boxes full of random strings because I keep breaking Low Es and buy sets just for the E.

I play pretty hard and tend to hit the Low E more I guess but it gets annoying. I’ve tried all kinds of brands too.

I play pretty hard too with a Dunlop heavy tortex pick and I've broken that string once with Ernie Ball strings. Of course, it was live on stage when it snapped and was on the guitar with my Kahler, so it kind of made a mess of my tuning and I had to swap out pretty quickly. Weird that you're breaking that more than others though. Breaking in the same place?

I play pretty hard too with a Dunlop heavy tortex pick and I've broken that string once with Ernie Ball strings. Of course, it was live on stage when it snapped and was on the guitar with my Kahler, so it kind of made a mess of my tuning and I had to swap out pretty quickly. Weird that you're breaking that more than others though. Breaking in the same place?

To be honest I haven’t kept track of where they’re breaking. I have a bunch of guitars and like I said, that’s the string I always break.

Like MichaelT said, I hardly break strings from playing as I wear them out to the point they sound like crap and have noticeable oxidation or whatever is happening to a thoroughly played string. As I said, I purchased 10 sets. I installed 2 on a couple of my guitars, and the high E broke on them as well - only this string... My last draw with these DR's was when I replaced the high E 3 times in a night due to the ball unraveling each time. I must have purchased a bad batch that has been sitting in a warehouse for ages, or DR's make awful strings. As I mentioned before too, I tried out the Black Beauties (bought again in a set of 10) from my buddy who worked at GC for a huge discount on the price, and these were better than those Cool Blues sets, but they had other issues - same high E breakage though. These Black Beauties were installed on a Floyd, so the ball was snipped off, therefore this failure wasn't prevalent then. I mean, I don't play some scream-o music or death metal... I also don't do crazy step-and-a-half bends and such... I am not floating my own boat here, but I've been playing music since I was 9 (37 now) and I am not some super pro as music is not my day job, but I definitely can consider myself an accomplished musician. Basically, I don't abuse my instruments when I play them and I know what I have to do to get a new set of strings up and running so to speak. Just surprising that these DR's took a dump on me. At least I was refunded for these no questions asked - thank you GC... I even got an apology from the guy who helped me out.

Never have used coated strings.

Must point out that DR Handmade Pure Blues 11-50 are some of the BEST strings I ever used, though too pricey for me now.

Optima Gold-plated are also pretty amazing, but the new Martin Titanium Core acoustic strings are the most expensive I've heard of. $39.99 in USA, £36(GBP) in UK!!

EBs or D'Addarios fine, cheap is fine too as long as you are prepared to change them quicker.

Hmmm....famous last words here.....I haven't broken a string in years....but it'll happen sometime......[wink]

Never have used coated strings.

Must point out that DR Handmade Pure Blues 11-50 are some of the BEST strings I ever used, though too pricey for me now.

Optima Gold-plated are also pretty amazing, but the new Martin Titanium Core acoustic strings are the most expensive I've heard of. $39.99 in USA, £36(GBP) in UK!!

EBs or D'Addarios fine, cheap is fine too as long as you are prepared to change them quicker.

Hmmm....famous last words here.....I haven't broken a string in years....but it'll happen sometime......[wink]

$40 for a set of strings? They better make you breakfast too for that kind of money.

I pay $5.00 a pack for my electric strings, and maybe $10 or so for my classical acoustic strings. I get the "friends and family" discount there.

I'd never pay $40.00 for a pack of strings.

GC always has 3 for $10 specials on Ernie Balls.

Every once in a while they used to have 10 packs for pretty cheap, I want to say around 30 bucks, but it’s been a while since I’ve seen them run that special so they may not do it anymore.

Every once in a while they used to have 10 packs for pretty cheap, I want to say around 30 bucks, but it's been a while since I've seen them run that special so they may not do it anymore.

I got a 3 pack or D'Addario's for $14 at GC... This was what I replaced my DR's with to try out since the Gibson strings were $10 each (for 10-46 gauge). The luthier I use put these D'Addario's on my guitars and they were pretty nice. I could at least stretch my high E and not break the damn thing, haha!

I've ordered a set of Pyramid flatwounds from Just Strings, and they've been on backorder for months. Apparently they're having some issues at the Pyramid plant. I'm trying them out for the first time. If I like them, I'll keep buying them. But if I can't get them....

Every once in a while they used to have 10 packs for pretty cheap, I want to say around 30 bucks, but it’s been a while since I’ve seen them run that special so they may not do it anymore.

Yeah, but I'd much rather support my local store. The owner is a friend of mine and a drummer. He's one that I routinely play music with, along with some others. I buy little things from him, he gives me a discount and we hang out. I can get strings and such cheaper but I prefer to support local music stores, family owned. Also, I drive by his store on the way home and don't have to drive an hour to Guitar Center and deal with less than desirable people there.

Every once in a while they used to have 10 packs for pretty cheap, I want to say around 30 bucks, but its been a while since Ive seen them run that special so they may not do it anymore.

Yeah, I remember that. It's probably been a decade since I've gotten the 10 for $30 deal. That was nice...though 3 for 10 = 9 for 30 so its still a pretty good deal.

I use Elixir coated 10s on my electric guitars. They cost somewhat more, but last about 3 times longer than EBs for me so I feel they are a good enough value. They are bright and lively and I can't feel the coating at all, it just keeps dead skin from getting between the winds and deadening the string sooner. I recently got 3 sets for the price of 2 (a promotion Elixer runs a couple times a year). Three pack was $23.98, I ordered two, Sweetwater didn't charge for shipping so I got 6 sets for $47.96 or $8/set. When I think of how long they last I don't think I can get a better sounding string for less.

D'Addario makes the strings for Gibson now - often in custom gauges and without the colored ball ends. I don't think Fender or Gibson ever actually manufactured strings but were always made by someone else and branded in their packaging. When you get a brand new Gibson and they say it has "Gibson Bright Wire" strings, they are made by D'addario.

D'Addario makes the strings for Gibson now - often in custom gauges and without the colored ball ends. I don't think Fender or Gibson ever actually manufactured strings but were always made by someone else and branded in their packaging. When you get a brand new Gibson and they say it has "Gibson Bright Wire" strings, they are made by D'addario.

I've been all over the place on strings; Elixirs, EB Slinky, EB Cobalt, etc. To Twang Gangs point, I read where D'Addario makes about 85% of the strings on the market, albeit to the other mfgr's specs if required. That's why I've recently gone back to using D'Addario's on my elec's (always used them on my acoustics). I figure if that many other mfgrs have faith in them, so should I, no?

for decades, i would only play brite wires or vintage re issues. for me, nothing else sounded that chimey. when i moved to ontario, i had a hard time finding them, so i switched around with about everything. i broke alot of slinkys. quickly learned to hate black diamond. removed a set of elixers after 2 days because i didn't like them.

started using daddario 9-46s, because although they didn't seem to sound as good as the gibbies, they sounded pretty good to what is left of my hearing, they were priced well, and they felt really good. a few years went by and i found a store that had the vintage re issues, so i bought a few sets. i was sooo happy to find them! then i played them, and now i find them stiff. so i now like the d addarios. go figure. they dont sound as good, but they don't sound bad at all. they are not as stiff as the gibby's and not as slinky as the slinkys. a pretty good medium for me. i am lucky to have low-acid hands, so i get a month of moderate use from them. some folks aren't so lucky, and they corrode strings before your very eyes.

Archived