Gibson Brands Forums

It's the little things in life.

deeman

My 'band' is getting together tonight to jam. We used to write, record and gig on the regular from 2002 to 2010. For several years after that we would just jam cover songs we like once or twice a month. Now we get together like ever 3-4 months or more. Last time we jammed it was summer, probably July or August. I feel like any of these sessions we get together could be the last. We are all getting older, advancing careers and raising families and just don't have the time.

So tonight I will jam like there's no tomorrow! It was and still is my favorite thing in the world (that isn't my wife or kids of course [flapper])

Life is too short, enjoy it while you have it. [thumbup]

My 'band' is getting together tonight to jam. We used to write, record and gig on the regular from 2002 to 2010. For several years after that we would just jam cover songs we like once or twice a month. Now we get together like ever 3-4 months or more. Last time we jammed it was summer, probably July or August. I feel like any of these sessions we get together could be the last. We are all getting older, advancing careers and raising families and just don't have the time.

So tonight I will jam like there's no tomorrow! It was and still is my favorite thing in the world (that isn't my wife or kids of course [flapper])

Now that I am a 'real adult' with wife and kids, I realize that getting 4 or 5 guys together at the same place, same time, is almost impossible. That's why most band are either young or have enough $$$ to live at the studio and write songs at the studio. I'm not either anymore...however with a laptop and a decent interface, my livingroom is as good of a studio as anywhere else.

I recently talked with some guys I was in a band with in the late 80's and early 90's. We're looking at getting together some time soon. We were on the road together, played many gigs, spent many times in our rehearsal studio and recording studio. The drummer is still playing and the bass player and singer not so much but we're going to get together and play some music. Unfortunately, our other guitarist at the time died in May of this year. And, they're also about 3 hours away from me these days since I moved. I used to play professionally and made a living doing it. Not a great living but it paid the bills and bought equipment.

I have some friends here in town that are in a few different bands and occasionally we get together and play or they'll get me up for a few songs when they play. There's some things I miss about constantly playing in bands, being on the road and all that. There's a few things I don't miss as well. I wouldn't mind playing a couple times a month, practicing a couple times a week or as needed. Thankfully my wife is supportive. I just need to think about it some more and see if I feel like doing it again.

I recently talked with some guys I was in a band with in the late 80's and early 90's. We're looking at getting together some time soon. We were on the road together, played many gigs, spent many times in our rehearsal studio and recording studio. The drummer is still playing and the bass player and singer not so much but we're going to get together and play some music. Unfortunately, our other guitarist at the time died in May of this year. And, they're also about 3 hours away from me these days since I moved. I used to play professionally and made a living doing it. Not a great living but it paid the bills and bought equipment.

I have some friends here in town that are in a few different bands and occasionally we get together and play or they'll get me up for a few songs when they play. There's some things I miss about constantly playing in bands, being on the road and all that. There's a few things I don't miss as well. I wouldn't mind playing a couple times a month, practicing a couple times a week or as needed. Thankfully my wife is supportive. I just need to think about it some more and see if I feel like doing it again.

Unless you were a big act staying in nice hotels, eating at nice places, etc being on the road would get old real quick for me. I used to travel for work and sometimes I miss it but then I remember being alone in a work truck on Christmas Day in -20 degree weather, sitting around in airports waiting for flights, taxis, bad food, my family being thousands of miles away, etc etc etc.

I consider myself lucky here. I've been working with (mostly) the same guys for many years now. we are all past the age now where the kids schedules demand priority. All the kids are grown up, on their, I have 4 grandkids. so I'm WAY past that stage...

Two of the guys are my wife's brothers who have been in music since they were kids. (I met my wife in 73, they sort of picked it up from me.. they were just kids back then) our drummer and singer are well known to me, for many decades now. two of my closest and best friends.

We still get together once a week on average, have a mix of originals and covers, (probably about 40/45 tunes that we can do at any given time.

We play what we want, and occasionally we'll get a gig some where for some function or what ever. But for the most part, it's jams once a week. Gear is all setup, I bring a guitar, and some beer. It's a nice room, no volume restrictions.. we play for 3 or 4 hours, laugh a lot, and then when it's time to call it a night. everyone goes home happy.. the week following we'll do it all again.

no pressure, no schedules, and most important, no ego's to feed or drama from any of the other band members, everyone is totally on the same page. We do it entirely for the enjoyment of playing music.. it's win, win.. like I said, I'm lucky.

I consider myself lucky here. I've been working with (mostly) the same guys for many years now. we are all past the age now where the kids schedules demand priority. All the kids are grown up, on their, I have 4 grandkids. so I'm WAY past that stage...

Two of the guys are my wife's brothers who have been in music since they were kids. (I met my wife in 73, they sort of picked it up from me.. they were just kids back then) our drummer and singer are well known to me, for many decades now. two of my closest and best friends.

We still get together once a week on average, have a mix of originals and covers, (probably about 40/45 tunes that we can do at any given time.

We play what we want, and occasionally we'll get a gig some where for some function or what ever. But for the most part, it's jams once a week. Gear is all setup, I bring a guitar, and some beer. It's a nice room, no volume restrictions.. we play for 3 or 4 hours, laugh a lot, and then when it's time to call it a night. everyone goes home happy.. the week following we'll do it all again.

no pressure, no schedules, and most important, no ego's to feed or drama from any of the other band members, everyone is totally on the same page. We do it entirely for the enjoyment of playing music.. it's win, win.. like I said, I'm lucky.

That's basically the situation I'm in now, except I'm probably 20 years younger! I hope we can get back to getting together once every week or so. I can practice by my self until the cows come home, its nothing compared to playing with a group.

Unless you were a big act staying in nice hotels, eating at nice places, etc being on the road would get old real quick for me. I used to travel for work and sometimes I miss it but then I remember being alone in a work truck on Christmas Day in -20 degree weather, sitting around in airports waiting for flights, taxis, bad food, my family being thousands of miles away, etc etc etc.

We weren't real big, mostly regional. The hotels weren't great, the band houses even worse. We had a converted school bus where the front half had chairs and couches, equipment was in back, and a car to haul us around in once in town. But, we mostly had fun and the pay was pretty good. I wasn't married at the time, no kids, so it was alright. I couldn't do it now. I'm good with gigs within 2 or 3 hours of home, and that's a pretty big area around here.

Have fun tonight Deeman and try to keep it going at least on a semi-regular basis. As you mention you can play alone and get some enjoyment out of it, but not as fun as a band playing together.

I was lucky that I met my bass player about 1970 and we stayed together for over 30 years until he retired and moved away. Him and I found a great drummer about 1983 and the three of us were the core of many bands that we had with different 2nd guitar players, a few key board guys, the occasional sax. But even if we laid off for a couple months after being together that long one 2 hour practice and we were ready to go if a gig came up. Even after the bass player retired, I stayed with the drummer until he died about 2011. That pretty much ended my band playing for a couple years.

Then I retired and moved south from the Windy City, I met a bass player and drummer and we have been together now about 3 years. We are too old to haul equipment around so only play about 2 or 3 shows a year, but for the most part we practice once a week. We just do covers now and stuff we want to play, but it's still fun and I look forward to it each week.

Life seems to get so much more complicated as we get older. I had the same things alter my band sessions as well. And now if I do some studio sessions a couple times a year, It's very special.

I assume the jam has come and gone. Hope it was a blast. I agree, life is short and you have to enjoy those kind of fun/happy opportunities whenever you can. msp_thumbup.gif

I assume the jam has come and gone. Hope it was a blast. I agree, life is short and you have to enjoy those kind of fun/happy opportunities whenever you can. msp_thumbup.gif

It was great. We played for a few hours, drank some beer and had some pizzas delivered. I'd say it was a good night! [thumbup]

Archived