Gibson Brands Forums

changing grover locking tuners to kluson

Thomas goodman

I have a 2014 LP Trad Pro II with the Grover Locking Tuners, and don't the Grover Locking Tuners have one screw to secure them to the headstock and most The Klusons use 2 screws? They may fit one of the holes but, you may have to drill a small pilot hole for the Klusons. What don't you like about the Grover's?

Exactly, I don't see why you want to switch when you have to make more holes in your headstock...

To the OP, if the tuning machines don't fit the holes the old tuners fit in, don't drill! You need a reaming tool. Use the internet to find out more. I gave you a start.

FZ Fan is correct. The Grover locking just have one screw, whereas Kluson's require two screws per machine. So you would have to put six more holes in the headstock. Not a huge deal, but I also would ask you why?

I have had quite a few Gibson over the years with Kluson tuners and was never real impressed with them. I got Grover Locking on my latest LP Standard and think they are great and a huge improvement over Kluson. Just one players opinion, but I would NOT make the change you are considering.

I'm of the same mind than Twang Gang. Nope, can't play without locking Grover tuners on an LP anymore. Beside being so convenient when restringing, they further prevent the guitar from going out of tune and their aspect ratio is about as perfect as it can get.

Takes alot of work on my guitar for it to stay tuned well.

I'm not exactly crazy for the Grover locking tuners

but they are a handsome addition

Do you know the new KLUSON Revolution? The best tuners imho, I installed those on my SG Standard .

sg_sta19.jpg

Didn't know about those, but got a set of Kluson 'Supreme' 18:1 tuners in early 2016 to replace the G-force set with

Archived