Gibson Brands Forums

How old are you?

Mr. Gibson

My birth certificate says I'll be 71 on Christmas Eve. My body says, yeah, I agree. My mind says "oh no, you're still 30". Gotta love the mind. Trivia fact: I'm one day older than Jimmy Buffet, but I think he's done a bit better than me [laugh]

All that said, I lived through the birth of Rock n Roll, and wouldn't change any of that; it's just priceless

Dennis we are both dinosaurs mate, but hey, we’re still kicking!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dennis we are both dinosaurs mate, but hey, we’re still kicking!

Not just kicking Rob, but ALIVE and kicking, :lol: . Wanna talk dinosaur? Just bought a new car (dumped the 9 year old that was costing me $$ in chunks, not equal payments). New cars are not made for old guys like us. They're made for the generation that grew up with computers and swipe screens. Used to be you bought a new car, spent about 2 hrs with the owner's manual, getting used to what's where and then you were okay...

Now, not so much [laugh]

1512244656[/url]' post='1896771']

I have just recently turned 69.

Strange thing age. Inside (mind) I feel much the same as I did when 15, 20, 35, etc. Outside - I mean the body - things are beginning to tell. The threat of arthritis is constant. The right wrist always hurts to an extent. Sometimes it is much worse than at other times. It is in the knees and my neck.

The untold years of smoking have had their price and I now have COPD and it is gradually getting worse. I'll never climb a mountain again that's for sure. Even cutting the grass with a self-propelled petrol lawn mower takes it out of me.

And the general weakness compared to the past. I was quite athletic when young. Not many could run faster and I was good at football and could bowl faster than most at cricket. I was a pretty strong guy too. Not now.

When you are young your mind "leads". When you get old your body gradually takes over the lead. It is that I find odd.

With No Mercy or compassion from the younger ones. No understanding or care. Your on your own Budd, Right? At least I get compassion from the wife but that's because she's 3 years behind me and starting to feel those things too. Yeah, that lawn mower was tearing me up too going uphill. At least she bought me a John Deere riding mower and that helped big time.

Not just kicking Rob, but ALIVE and kicking, :lol: . Wanna talk dinosaur? Just bought a new car (dumped the 9 year old that was costing me $$ in chunks, not equal payments). New cars are not made for old guys like us. They're made for the generation that grew up with computers and swipe screens. Used to be you bought a new car, spent about 2 hrs with the owner's manual, getting used to what's where and then you were okay...

Now, not so much [laugh]

Oh bugger, not again!

Could somebody please give Dennis a plus. Please forgive my clumsy fingers on this silly pad Dennis.

I was gonna say that the operating manual for our Honda is like a phone book, 10 pages on door controls alone!

58 years old.

In my head, I think, reason, write, and seek joy with the spirit of a 25 year old.

And when I am on an enduro bike (street trail motorcycle) or strapping on a guitar, I feel like I am 14 again.

But the minute I walk past a plate glass window or mirror, I cringe, and cry out, "Who is that old gray-haired bastard, and what has he done with my body??"

:(

I feel your pain too :(

I have just recently turned 69.

Strange thing age. Inside (mind) I feel much the same as I did when 15, 20, 35, etc. Outside - I mean the body - things are beginning to tell. The threat of arthritis is constant. The right wrist always hurts to an extent. Sometimes it is much worse than at other times. It is in the knees and my neck.

The untold years of smoking have had their price and I now have COPD and it is gradually getting worse. I'll never climb a mountain again that's for sure. Even cutting the grass with a self-propelled petrol lawn mower takes it out of me.

And the general weakness compared to the past. I was quite athletic when young. Not many could run faster and I was good at football and could bowl faster than most at cricket. I was a pretty strong guy too. Not now.

When you are young your mind "leads". When you get old your body gradually takes over the lead. It is that I find odd.

You want to play Top Trumps? [biggrin][biggrin]

Most people say I look 25. I dunno... Still have the hair and all, but you could spot my age if you weren't as drunk (m'love).

My physician says I'm a healthy 20-year old, physically.

I have more immediate concerns regarding my well-being right now (don't ask, because I can't tell), but if I make it to 60-70, it'll be interesting to see if the odd Whiskey Tumor pops up.

I have this hypothesis that you can down hundreds of gallons of whiskey, and the tests will say you're fine, but you've damaged the genetic sequencing mechanism, which could come back and bite you in the *** decades later.

It would explain the cancers caused by chronic hepatitis B and C infections, because the etiology isn't fully explained, if I remember correctly.

I have this hypothesis that you can down hundreds of gallons of whiskey, and the tests will say you're fine, but you've damaged the genetic sequencing mechanism, which could come back and bite you in the *** decades later.

Jimmy Page has somehow made it into his 70's, despite his alcohol and heroin addictions in his younger days and then there is Keith Richards aka the miracle that defies science [smile]

Jimmy Page was nowhere as bad as most, though... Well, except for the coke. Unless you inject in shooting galleries, coke doesn't do much long-term damage. Its addictive qualities are psychological, unless you have a heart condition...

As pertains to heroin, I'm with Lemmy ("It's the only drug I hate" - and I don't do drugs).

Keith, well... He's a unique case. He maintains that he did share needles, but did clear his hep-C without treatment decades ago, and that the fact that he got drugs that weren't cut saved his life.

Which makes sense. Heroin is not that toxic. It's just easy to OD on, sell your mother into slave trade on, catch blood diseases on, etc.

Then there's the fact that Keith was and is a bona fide pro. I'm a rock history buff, and from all that I've read, music came first for Keith.

It was the same with Slash, only Slash couldn't travel with a Dr. Feelgood when they first went to Europe. So he rented a motel room and kicked on his own a week before he had to go on tour, and he did just that multiple times.

Which played a huge part in him leaving GNR. Here's this guy who kicked before touring, unsupervised, and the singer is four hours late every gig, if he shows up at all.

I recall reading an interview this Swedish journo did an off the record interview with Billy Idol, when he was going through withdrawal playing Stockholm. He was asked if he was going to cancel, and said words to the effect of, "I'm sick as a dog, but 20 000 people bought tickets for tonight. There's no ******* way in hell I'm not doing it."

I'm a bigger fan of Keith and Slash than I am Billy, but I loved that. I laughed out loud. He knew he'd ****ed up, but he wasn't going to let that affect the fans. He probably drank oceans of liquor before going onstage, but he played the entire show.

Parts of it is in a Swedish book from a guy who arranged pretty much all the stadium gigs here in the 80s: "he was sick as ****. He didn't piss and moan. He just went, they bought the ******* tickets - they're getting the ******* gig."

I thought that was really cool.

Archived