Gibson Brands Forums

How old are you?

Mr. Gibson

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes surprising, there are plenty of guitarists over 75 but I guess they don't write on forums!

After 75 I had to stop playing due to arthritis and just lost dexterity in my hands to play well. Started picking in 1953 or so. Oh well, all good things must end. But, even with bad hearing I enjoy hearing other players. Now at 77 things are okay otherwise.

It's an awful thing arthritis, my wife has it in her hands and knees, I don't have and I'm eleven years older than her. I believe we all have it but it troubles some people and not others. I'm glad you are enjoying music Dusty.

After 75 I had to stop playing due to arthritis and just lost dexterity in my hands to play well. Started picking in 1953 or so. Oh well, all good things must end. But, even with bad hearing I enjoy hearing other players. Now at 77 things are okay otherwise.

It's an awful thing arthritis, my wife has it in her hands and knees, I don't have and I'm eleven years older than her. I believe we all have it but it troubles some people and not others. I'm glad you are enjoying music Dusty.

Well, after having total knee replacement in 2009 now my hips are going south. Too many sports and genes, that is from my parents :) It comes with age. Yes, I am listening to guitar stiff my kids listened to (Joe Walsh, Warren Haynes, Joe Bonamassa and so on) and now that make fun of me for tuning in to it. :) I was an old fuddy-duddy back then, Jazz and Blues, hillbilly, that kind of stuff :)

Yes it's amazing how the young tune into music. My daughter loves CSN and particularly Neil Young, so I get pressed into recording Out On The Weekend, imagine that happening with my mun and dad and Bing Crosby!

Well, after having total knee replacement in 2009 now my hips are going south. Too many sports and genes, that is from my parents :) It comes with age. Yes, I am listening to guitar stiff my kids listened to (Joe Walsh, Warren Haynes, Joe Bonamassa and so on) and now that make fun of me for tuning in to it. :) I was an old fuddy-duddy back then, Jazz and Blues, hillbilly, that kind of stuff :)

Oh my goodness, somebody older than me! (71)

Arthritis has me unable to put any pressure on my left thumb at all and that’s my dominant side. The right thumb isn’t too flash and I tend to drop things...a lot nowadays!

Holding the neck of a guitar for any useful time is too hard for me now but, like you, I love music. In fact I have music going whatever I’m doing, mostly throughout the day.

My hearing is atrocious too unfortunately and I guess we might be scaring these younger folk....Grin~

Yeah, I know. On a playing hiatus because of carpal and tendonitis (there's a lyric)... Or whatever it is. I must say it's starting to concern me a bit. No one is more conscientous about stretching than me... just like no one is more conscientous about earplugs, and then, boom, accident, tinnitus.

I'm noticing more squeaks, so to speak.

Might be a lyric but you have to be able to say it before you can play it....grin~

1515152366[/url]' post='1906322']

When I worked at Burlington Northern Railroad I stumbled on to Blessed Natures Montmorency tart cherry juice concentrate. It's packed with antioxidants providing a number of heath benefits. It's great tasting and 2 tablespoons in any liquid, water, cola, tea, selzar, etc. gives you 60 fresh tart cherries in a single serving. Its supposed to be Brain and heart healthy, helps a number of things and most of all. It helps most arthritic people. Not all claim it has helped them but more then not is what I've heard. When I had that cancer, 7 of the 8 chemo drugs caused early arthritis in me. My knees and fingers and knuckles hurt. My pinky finger on my left hand couldn't hit the strings I needed to reach and press down. I had to improvise with 3 fingers and cheat playing using those 3 fingers. My knees started to take a hit and so I found out about this stuff and took it. Both Steven and I at work after a few days, stopped feeling the pain. So we intruduced it to our family members and relatives and friends. Many benefited from the juice. My mom was very arthritic way worse then me. After a week she was walking and Crocheting again. She swore by it, so did my aunts and friends. Steves mom was very bad too and drank it and loves it. She no longer walks with a cane as before. Some friends pain stopped in their knees with 2 servings. As I said, not everyone benefited but more then not did. It's pricy and lasts for several weeks if you get the large container but they have a smaller one cheaper to try out to see if you like it. It won't make you feel better and the first thing you may notice is the pains gone. I buy the large bottle and that's a little over $30.00 here. I make a bottle last several months now. It helps with back pain, high cholesterol and other things. If you suffer from health issues, what the heck, give it a try... it won't make you feel worse unless your allergic to cherries then don't try it.

fretplay, I grew up in a family listening to Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw, Benny, you name the big band; then after my dad retired he started listening to The Eagles!!!! Guess some of my guitar picking rubbed off on him :)

Digger, a lot of what is posted here would make great songs :) Yeah, everyday I wake up thinking I'm only 76 [biggrin]

Wow, Retired, that sounds like something to try, thanks. Now, I wonder if it will spice up my Moonshine. [thumbup] I will look for a small bottle and try it, so maybe my wife too.

Okay, found it at Walmart so will go get some, thanks.

• 4 months later...

Archived