Gibson Brands Forums

Protected Forum

zigzag

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this earlier. The Lounge and the Epiphone forums are now protected. I guess this means they can't be viewed by non-members or members who are not signed in. No more lurking. Curses!...

Wus up widdat?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this earlier. The Lounge and the Epiphone forums are now protected. I guess this means they can't be viewed by non-members or members who are not signed in. No more lurking. Curses!...

Wus up widdat?

Are they protected from reading or just for posting?

Wus up widdat?

Maybe they did it to try and get more people to join... Like right now theres 16 members online and 442 guests.. So maybe it was their way of encouraging people to sign up?

As for the other changes.. It does seem a bit odd to get rid of all that history... maybe someone new is in charge of the forum?

Guest Farnsbarns

I just logged out as an experiment. Took me ages to reset my password. Forum admin tech peops, before you make all these changes here are some priorities for you...

Google stopped supporting recaptcha1 a year ago, I'd implement recaptcha2 as a priority. A right pain to reset passwords.

You're hosted on AWS. That's hilarious. Get a proper server.

You're running ipboard 3.1, get with the patching program. It's a security risk.

Perhaps fix the broken smilies.

What version of PHP is that? We're up to version 7 now, ya know.

I'd sort all that out, then start arbitrarily changing the structure of the forum, if you must.

I was in the UK the past couple of weeks and not on here as often so may have missed it, but I haven't seen any threads from Gibson explaining all the changes and things to be aware of to assist users.

If it exists please point it out to me so I can read up (thanks).

If it doesn't then that tells you their care factor right there.

Maybe they did it to try and get more people to join... Like right now theres 16 members online and 442 guests.. So maybe it was their way of encouraging people to sign up?

As for the other changes.. It does seem a bit odd to get rid of all that history... maybe someone new is in charge of the forum?

I think that’s the idea alright. To get more people to participate, and that’s what we want too I’d have thought?

I was in the UK the past couple of weeks and not on here as often so may have missed it, but I haven't seen any threads from Gibson explaining all the changes and things to be aware of to assist users.

If it exists please point it out to me so I can read up (thanks).

If it doesn't then that tells you their care factor right there.

I got an answer to a concern about the recent 30 hold on new post from Admin on the Epi side, so they do read what we are saying about the place I think.

I'm not sure that would be effective Rabs - there's usually hardly any guests (maybe a handful) on the Lounges - generally they are scattered everywhere and probably following results to topics they Google'd. They'd have to protect all the forum pages in that case and it'd be a nightmare to administer for mods and most people would just move on to their other Google results if browsing.

Still, it'd be interesting to understand the protected pages thing and why its on the lounges only though - its a mystery to me but I assume there's a reason?

KS Daddy?

1512513733[/url]' post='1897705']

I'm not sure that would be effective Rabs - there's usually hardly any guests (maybe a handful) on the Lounges - generally they are scattered everywhere and probably following results to topics they Google'd. They'd have to protect all the forum pages in that case and it'd be a nightmare to administer for mods and most people would just move on to their other Google results if browsing.

Still, it'd be interesting to understand the protected pages thing and why its on the lounges only though - its a mystery to me but I assume there's a reason?

KS Daddy?

Can't look at members profile either without signing in,

And now the Gibson Lounge doesn't even appear on the menu page (Gibson Brands Forums) unless you're signed in.

Gibson probably doesn't want some of the nonsense in the lounge to show up in the search engines, makes sense to me. Like my post about a hooker with a hair back...

Archived