Gibson Brands Forums

Looking at a Used J-35 Thoughts and Price check

GuitarPlayer919

All I can do is share my experience.

12 years or so ago, I even traded a 1964 B45 (Gibson 12 string) for a 1994 Gospel Reissue. I didn’t really play the 12 string and it conflicted with an element of my jazz influenced style where I simultaneously play two melody notes in octaves on a 6 string. The 12 string did that automatically, removing too much challenge.

The used Gospel Reissue had a different shaped pick guard than I was accustomed to on my Gibsons (its shape, or pretty close to it, later wad used on J-35s). The Gospel’s sound was not the normal Gibson sound, like my other Gibson’s, much more trebly, and the Gospel Reissue in someway seemed like a thinner sound than my other Gibsons. But, what the hey, I kept it, mainly because it was different than my other guitars.

Lo and behold, that Gospel Reissue has been put away every year, only to, every year since, end up being my number one or more often, my number two go-to guitar. At a music jam, the Gospel Reissue cuts through all other guitars there better. Need a backup guitar at a gig, when a string breaks, the Gospel Reissue is the one I bring with. When my revolving main guitar just isn’t playing right before or during a gig, no prob, that Gospel Reissue is the reliable workhorse to go to.

Now, I know my experience is my experience and a Gospel Reissue is a different guitar than the J-35, though it’s pickguard is similar, but the other traits you are mentioning about the J-35 sound like it warrants a keeper, let it have a chance guitar. Mainly, because it is different in a good way from your other guitar.

Gibson has made a number of excellent guitars aside from its iconic models. The J-35 seems to be one of them as is models such as the J15, J29, and Gospel, and Gospel Reissue. They are worth a place in any collection precisely because they are not the same old same old icons. They play well and they are conversation pieces, too.

Just my two cents.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Love my J-35 and find it a very versatile guitar. But, as Gibson owners, we know the instruments can vary (sometimes wildly) from guitar to guitar. That's part of the magic -- if you get a good one, that is.

That said, if I were back in the U.S., I'd probably give some thought to having the pickup removed and having a K&K installed. You can't get a K&K here in Kuwait and even if you could, I've been here three years and there is not, that I can find, a competent acoustic repairman in the entire country. I once asked about repairs in one of the few music shops and the clerk said he could probably do them. I asked him how he'd repair a cracked top brace and he brought out some Gorilla Glue. My reaction was along the lines of, "Not on my guitar...."

I know we worry about our guitars, but they are tools and I don't think I'd be as worried as you are playing out with the J-45. They're made to make music.

The J-35 is its own beast. I've grown to love mine. I find mine to be a fickle guitar. It's very sensitive to pick choice, strings, and humidity changes. Dunlop tortex picks for instance make my J35 sound overly harsh and dry. Ive settled on the primetones at this point to bring out its best. The J35 might require some out of the box choices as mine didn't react the way I thought it would to my normal string and pick choices. I also found I liked light strings best on this guitar as mediums just made it sound too tight and brash.

You bought this guitar as a second guitar to a nice J45tv and in many respects it checks all the boxes you need for a gigging tool. If you've got a really nice guitar you love why do you have to love this one if it does what you need? I'd be hard pressed to find a different guitar that sounds better and has a neck that feels as good as the J35 for what you paid. My Santa Cruz D/PW is a monster of rosewood dread in the Martin style. It has more bass and fuller sound than the J35 but man the J35 neck just fits like a glove and and I can nock it around at parks and social gatherings. Nine times out of ten I just pick up the J35 because It feels right and I can knock it around without as much worry.

The J-35 is its own beast. I've grown to love mine. I find mine to be a fickle guitar. It's very sensitive to pick choice, strings, and humidity changes. Dunlop tortex picks for instance make my J35 sound overly harsh and dry. Ive settled on the primetones at this point to bring out its best. The J35 might require some out of the box choices as mine didn't react the way I thought it would to my normal string and pick choices. I also found I liked light strings best on this guitar as mediums just made it sound too tight and brash.

You bought this guitar as a second guitar to a nice J45tv and in many respects it checks all the boxes you need for a gigging tool. If you've got a really nice guitar you love why do you have to love this one if it does what you need? I'd be hard pressed to find a different guitar that sounds better and has a neck that feels as good as the J35 for what you paid. My Santa Cruz D/PW is a monster of rosewood dread in the Martin style. It has more bass and fuller sound than the J35 but man the J35 neck just fits like a glove and and I can nock it around at parks and social gatherings. Nine times out of ten I just pick up the J35 because It feels right and I can knock it around without as much worry.

Thanks for the recent replies -

Trans, QuestionMark, Mafy31, Jazzman Jeff, dhanners623 and Natstrat

This guitar was purchased to be a player and it does "check" nearly all the boxes nicely.

Firstly, it's a Gibson... Check!

Neck and playability are spot on for my needs... Huge Check!

It being slightly (louder or brighter) actually may be better for playing out since it does project and sound great. I listened to the recordings I have made and pleased. I think I'm gonna play around with string choices and picks too.

Someone mentioned guitars are tools and meant to be played.

Yes indeed.. I play my J45 every day. That's my #1 for sure!

But I wanted/needed a 2nd guitar and not worry about when playing out. Sure I will gig the others I own from time to time. But I'll pick and choose those times and venues.

But there are places, I would not want to leave a "cherished" guitar unattended or subject to gig weirdness or weather, travel, etc for that matter.

She's growing on me...

kK0n59Vl.jpg

pVBeO1xl.jpg

Thanks for the recent replies -

Trans, QuestionMark, Mafy31, Jazzman Jeff, dhanners623 and Natstrat

This guitar was purchased to be a player and it does "check" nearly all the boxes nicely.

Firstly, it's a Gibson... Check!

Neck and playability are spot on for my needs... Huge Check!

It being slightly (louder or brighter) actually may be better for playing out since it does project and sound great. I listened to the recordings I have made and pleased. I think I'm gonna play around with string choices and picks too.

Someone mentioned guitars are tools and meant to be played.

Yes indeed.. I play my J45 every day. That's my #1 for sure!

But I wanted/needed a 2nd guitar and not worry about when playing out. Sure I will gig the others I own from time to time. But I'll pick and choose those times and venues.

But there are places, I would not want to leave a "cherished" guitar unattended or subject to gig weirdness or weather, travel, etc for that matter.

She's growing on me...

kK0n59Vl.jpg

pVBeO1xl.jpg

Great turnout,, and yes I agree with natstrat79 the previous post above there GuitarPlayer919in the sense that the J-35 is quite a sensitive guitar on it's own with the above mentioned to humidity as it's a very light acoustic, the type/gauges of strings used, the plectrum thickness and material.

I've gotten back from my tech to have my J-35 tweaked, sort of like an oil change thingy.

Tweaked the neck just right almost straight it at all as I scope down the neck which it is 99% give +/-, oiled the fingerboard, frets are shiny and levelled still so nothing done, strings testing atm is EB Earthwound PB 12's.

The action dead on along with the intonation.

Did a little ditty test drive clip here : The tone and sound is a tad on the bright side as the string is new, but this will get stretched to warm down a bit. Checked the bass response? It's there and quite balanced once coaxed.

String separation is there as with finger styled or picked as opposed to having a set of Elixir which can fan out the sound.

Have a listen and see what you think. [unsure]

http://chirb.it/p2InPq

Peace!

Nice! Trans..

Here's a comparison of my J35 and J45.

https://soundcloud.com/midnight_rider_music/compare-gibson-j35-to-j45-take-2

Nicely done brother! [thumbup]

Is it my ears or they similarly sound the same? Although there is a tad lushness on the J-45.

New strings?

This thing with the J-35 I found is that overall you will get the biting mid-range and slight treble happy, but the bass you will have to coax it out of. It is there really, just different overall sound dynamics you have to do.

Here is my short clip with my J-35 with a fresh set of 12's EB PB Earthwood.Tooling around with an old DB tune just to switch from the high D and low G chords, trying to get some bass out. Hope it does justice. [biggrin]

http://chirb.it/p2InPq

It's yet to warm out a bit as I play them. Overall I've grown to like and love the J-35. :D

Cheers!

I’d keep it if it plays that nicely...chances are it’s just a little tight and new and needs miles on it. I love the bright bite that the J35 has, dig in hard and it has a sweet brashness for rhythm work that really pleases my ears.

The bracing makes it different to a J45, the 45 is softer and more buttery in the midrange whereas the 35 is a very different beast. If you like short scale slopes they’re a perfect pair. I’d love to own a J35, I’be enjoyed every one of the several i’ve played.

I’d keep it if it plays that nicely...chances are it’s just a little tight and new and needs miles on it. I love the bright bite that the J35 has, dig in hard and it has a sweet brashness for rhythm work that really pleases my ears.

The bracing makes it different to a J45, the 45 is softer and more buttery in the midrange whereas the 35 is a very different beast. If you like short scale slopes they’re a perfect pair. I’d love to own a J35, I’be enjoyed every one of the several i’ve played.

I appreciate the reply.

It "did" play nice and these are great guitars.

But I struggled with the "bright" tone for the past few days.

Tried 2 sets of strings, picks, technique...

But in the end, it was just too much mid-range for me.

Just got back from the shop with a pocket full of cash.... \:D/ [tongue]

(Now to find a nice deal on a used J-45!

I appreciate the reply.

It "did" play nice and these are great guitars.

But I struggled with the "bright" tone for the past few days.

Tried 2 sets of strings, picks, technique...

But in the end, it was just too much mid-range for me.

Just got back from the shop with a pocket full of cash.... \:D/ [tongue]

(Now to find a nice deal on a used J-45!

All’s well that ends well ☺️ And if you didn’t gel with it, you were absolutely right to move it on. Life’s too short to have four figures tied up in the wrong guitar.

If you can find one, a great flip side to the J45 vibe is the ‘41 Reissue SJ100. Basically the lovechild of a J45 and an SJ200. I had one and loved it, unfortunately had to part with it last month to pay for some car repairs, but that really was a beautiful instrument that sounded wonderful and played like buttered butter sliding down the butteriest slopes of Butter Mountain.

All’s well that ends well ☺️ And if you didn’t gel with it, you were absolutely right to move it on. Life’s too short to have four figures tied up in the wrong guitar.

If you can find one, a great flip side to the J45 vibe is the ‘41 Reissue SJ100. Basically the lovechild of a J45 and an SJ200. I had one and loved it, unfortunately had to part with it last month to pay for some car repairs, but that really was a beautiful instrument that sounded wonderful and played like buttered butter sliding down the butteriest slopes of Butter Mountain.

Yep... I'm glad I decided to return. Rather than keep and then lose on the resale down the line.

I'll take a look around for a SJ100..... I'd like to take a ride down that buttery trail [tongue]

Nice! Trans..

Here's a comparison of my J35 and J45.

https://soundcloud.com/midnight_rider_music/compare-gibson-j35-to-j45-take-2

Great way to do a comparison - not to sidetrack the thread, but is anyone aware of any similar clips comparing a J45 to a Hummingbird? (I tried searching the forums, but evidently I'm not skilled at searching...)

Archived