Gibson Brands Forums

Too good to be true?

jdgm

This is on eBay UK with no reserve...... :-k

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253292901881?ul_noapp=true

I wonder.

Because selling it on ebay - with no reserve - is very odd considering the vendor could take it to a guitar shop or auctioneers.

However that would take longer so it seems a quick sale is wanted.

It will be interesting to see how high it goes...if it's not withdrawn.

Does it affect tune-ability?

Well actually it depends on how deep the crack is .. Id just be worried about that getting worse (and it says it goes across the whole headstock)... But then again I guess it is old.. A lot of people will buy a Gibson that's been cracked and reset...

I donno... Id just always be a bit suspicious of that myself. But then I doubt id ever buy such a vintage guitar..

I would buy it for 1 of your British Quids. What is a quid anyway, a Sterling Pound aka one of those combo F and L looking things?

[lol] £££££££££££££££££££££££££ Quids in mate! Quids!

BTW bids on the guitar are increasing this evening.......

Yes. Like a buck is.

I thought it would be from a cockney word but its not.. It seems no one really knows but there are several theories and these are the top two.

Brewster's suggests it comes from 'quid pro quo', an equivalent amount for something, and also suggests that it originally referred to a sovereign.

One upon a time Gaelic-speaking Irishmen in the British Army would refer to "my money" as "mo chuid": "cuid"(pronounced, very roughly, "quid") being an omnibus Gaelic word for "thing", "piece", "possessesion", "collection", "money" (as in this case) "! English soldiers adopted the reference to what they heard as "quid", to mean the pound.

Like Rabs I would be concerned about the cracked headstock - it's not going to get any better and probably over time would get worse. I would be more inclined to bid on a '62 Strat that was not refinished/refurbished as you don't know what else may be hiding under the newer paint. Nevertheless a good starting price, will be interesting to see where it goes.

Like Rabs I would be concerned about the cracked headstock - it's not going to get any better and probably over time would get worse. I would be more inclined to bid on a '62 Strat that was not refinished/refurbished as you don't know what else may be hiding under the newer paint. Nevertheless a good starting price, will be interesting to see where it goes.

Well it now says

This listing was ended by the seller because the item was lost or broken.

Hmmmm :-k

Well it now says..."This listing was ended by the seller because the item was lost or broken."...

Hmmmm :-k

Something definitely smells of haddock but I'm not sure exactly what.

The guitar was obviously a re-fin ('wrong' spray-pattern) but the seller made that quite clear. The maple slab-board story is accurate and might be genuine in this case. The full-size aluminium (that's aluminum to you 'merkins) looks right, too. A few too many things looked just too good to be original, however, so perhaps it's an imitation Vintage bodge-job PartsCaster which was rumbled?

Interesting offering. I'd have liked to have seen it in the flesh.

Pip.

Archived