Gibson Brands Forums

What a night

Tman

My wife's mother called last night and my wife didn't answer and said I'll talk to her later. Her father called immediately afterwards. They live in Sylmar (lived). Father said their place burned down, they were evacuated and needed a place to stay. Here is a blurry picture from our house of a fire on the other side of Simi Valley. It's been extremely windy (hurricane force in some locations) and extremely dry. Not a good combination. Everyone is safe and healthy. Wow. Eventful night.

Simi%20Valley_zpsetm7akum.jpeg

1512582306[/url]' post='1897865']

My wife's mother called last night and my wife didn't answer and said I'll talk to her later. Her father called immediately afterwards. They live in Sylmar (lived). Father said their place burned down, they were evacuated and needed a place to stay. Here is a blurry picture from our house of a fire on the other side of Simi Valley. It's been extremely windy (hurricane force in some locations) and extremely dry. Not a good combination. Everyone is safe and healthy. Wow. Eventful night.

Simi%20Valley_zpsetm7akum.jpeg

Thankfully everyone got out. Insane how they can't get it under control,damn wind ain't helping

I wish the best for you. What a nightmare. The winds make fighting these fires futile. Just have your guitars cased up, in case you have to make a quick getaway.

Funny you should mention that. In case of a quick getaway my wife and I decided that we would rescue the animals, clothes on our backs, and my J-200. Oh and use her Tesla to get away.

Frightening, man. I hope their trauma can be managed down to a reasonable level and they rebuild to greater comfort.

My old Choc Lab and 4 six strings are all I'll grab if it ever happened to me. Maybe a coat and change of clothes too. Can't imagine. Best of luck to them.

Pretty crazy today. One of my partners lives and works in Ventura and his house burned down. I've lived in California for almost 30 years now and haven't been this close ever. Pretty scary. Hope there are no injuries.

I will evacuate if need be. I have insurance which won't do any good if I don't make it out.

Funny you should mention that. In case of a quick getaway my wife and I decided that we would rescue the animals, clothes on our backs, and my J-200. Oh and use her Tesla to get away.

Smart to have a plan... hoping you won't need it!

I have a sister-in-law who lives in Ventura with her significant other. My wife heard from her earlier today and their house was still standing. Although she said that situation could change. A very bad situation.

Good luck to those in the path. Stay safe.

Sorry about your in-laws TMan.

My wife and I put together a plan incase the surrounding hills happen to go up in flames where we live.

Hard drive, file cabinet, and whatever guitar I can get in the suburban.

I have started keeping everything in a case though.

The Santa Ana winds are brutal in Ventura, always have been.

Stay vigilant.

California has been devestated by fires this year. Usually this time of year, the rains have already started weeks ago or a month. The North Bay got clobbered, and now the valley is blazing. I have never seen wind in my life like the Santa Ana's down in SoCal though.

I live Downtown, work in Alhambra, my family lives in Pasadena. Back in 2012 we had the winds, (no fire) and San Gabriel, Arcadia, and those areas had several 200+ year old trees (gigantic trees) just blown in half, or right out of the ground.

This go-round its the same winds + fires. These firefighters are in way over their heads. NO disrespect, I love our firefighters, but there is nothing man can do when it's too windy to even launch a helicopter. Sometimes we need to be shaken to realize how fragile modern society is. When the power goes out, the wind starts blowing entire forest into hell on Earth, we quickly find our small, small place on this wonderful planet.

Praying every thing works out for you and your family Tman

I moved from so Ca almost 2 ago to Florida, and remember all too well what those Santa Ana winds can do.

It’s like the poor firefighters are just pissing on the fires . They are out numbered.

Bout the best they can do is try and save as many structures they can, and set back fires to prevent the fires from wiping out neighborhoods .

Don’t know what’s the worst of the two evils, Ca. fires and earth quakes, or Florida’s hurricanes and humidity.

Maybe if you have time, shelter your pets at a facility far inward away from the fires.

At least you would not have to round them up at a last moments notice.

Thanks so much for the well wishes. It is surreal. My in laws are with us safe but displaced. I'd be lying if I didn't say stressful. There was a HUGE cloud of smoke over Ventura today. There was a small fire that was immediately put out in Malibu. Dodged a bullet but man. Like jdgm, I'm really hoping for rain. I don't want to test our insurance policy (although I will). We have a neighbor who foolishly (I think) wants to stand on his house with a fire hose. I think it would be like a flame thrower. Notice to evacuate, my family is evacuating.

Just found out that my partner in Ventura who lost his house had to run out of the house with only his scrubs on. Lost literally everything but his clothes. Was on call the night before and the authorities got him out of there in the nick of time. Unbelievable.

Archived