Gibson Brands Forums

Cool Guitar Players

NighthawkChris

Ever since I was a kid, I listened to Testament. I love listening to those awesome, sinister solos by Alex Skolnick. The guy is pretty amazing. He even transitioned to a clean jazz style which is equally impressive to me. Alex came to my town once to visit a local guitar shop and my friend who worked there (lucky...) told me (I was stuck at work, arghh!!) the guy is really cool. Down to earth, awesome guitarist. Since most attention doesn't come from "sophisticated" music as I call it (music with more than 3 chords, haha!), I think that this guy doesn't get the attention he deserves. I personally liked Testament more than Metallica if we have to go there... That whole band is something else, but Alex was my favorite member that played in Testament. Just saying because I appreciate a good 'ol American metal/jazz guitarist. Truly an inspiration to me. I believe he was a pupil of Satriani (like Kirk Hammet was, haha!), and even mentions that he wasn't one of his "best" pupils. I beg to differ and believe he said this as he seems like a pretty humble guy.

Well, I'm saying it. Testament >>>> Metallica. I learned nearly every Metallica song when I was a kid. Even picked up a few of Kirk's better solo works along the way when me and the band learned the covers. I wouldn't have dared try to play Testament. It was just too flipping hard and kick @$. Pummeling solos!

Oh heck yes. Trans Siberian Orchestra too. I hung around with him at a Philly Phall guitar show he was doing something or other I don't know what. Nice guy, great guitar player, I have no clue what guys like him do.

rct

I'm not the biggest Testament fan on the planet, but my bucket list includes checking out more of Alex' stuff.

Metallica vs Testament... I dunno... In 1989, Metallica were masters of the universe, and rightly so. And I can't begrudge them the success of, and off of, the black album.

But in my opinion, they lost it and have been lost for decades. That ******* abomination that was "St. Anger" got a world-wide median 9/10, even though every HACK who gave it that score now admits they don't like it at all, right down to the bucket snare drum sound.

The new one got even better reviews, and I'm dumbfounded. "Ohhhh, 'Spit out the bone', they're thrash again!"

Bollocks. Not a single riff in that song would have made the first rehearsal tape.

It's drivel - 80 minutes of it. Well, "Moth into flame" I don't hate, but it's a C-rate b-side compared to the first five albums.

They need someone who's not a yes-man producing. Hint hint.

I'm not sure if we're talking about guitar players we like in general or ones we've met. I've met a few.

Slash - was really cool on their Appetite tour, opening for Alice Cooper. He was friendly and glad to sign an autograph. They were in the audience between their set and Alice Cooper. I don't remember exactly what all we talked about since it was so long ago but I remember his smile and friendly attitude. They all were.

Steve Vai - talked with him once at the music/video store I worked at in Hollywood on Sunset and Vine in 1990. He was very nice, wasn't in a hurry and we talked for about a half hour about music in general and my experience at Musician's Institute.

Vinnie Moore - met him briefly after his concert. He was signing autographs and kind of in a hurry but wasn't a jerk.

Gary Richrath - he was playing with his band, Richrath, at a club my band used to play in Dayton, OH. I went up to him after the show since I'd been a fan of his for a while. He came over and sat with us, had a drink and we talked for a bit before he went around to other people to talk with them. Really cool guy, very friendly.

Carlos Cavazo - Quiet Riot - was pretty nice. Met him at another club my band used to play when they were playing there.

I think that's all the "famous" guitarists I've met. The coolest guitar player I know though is my former guitar "teacher." I had been playing for a while, about 9 years, when we met. I'd take "lessons" from him. It was mostly him teaching me things with fingerpicking and classical for the first half hour and me teaching him metal/hard rock stuff. Sometimes we'd just get together and play together and share material. I learned a lot from him over the years and in my eyes, he's the coolest I know.

I once saw Alex Skolnick who was supporting Rodrigo Y Gabriela as part of his own three piece jazz band.. Was amazing.. Didn't get any footage of that but he later came on a did a couple of tunes with them.. I got one of those :)

Guest Farnsbarns

I thought Jimmy page was pretty cool when I met him but I know many people have said otherwise.

Gilmore is pretty cool.

Alan parsons too, I used to jam with his son in my school years.

Lemmy was extremely nice to us, on several occasions. (I assume bass guitarists count)

Clapton was a nice guy, very funny.

Tony Butler (another bassist, big country) is a lovely bloke. Travelled home with him after a recent solo concert. Foookin hilarious. I was very drunk, he gave me a lift home from the station too.

Dave grohl is as lovely as he seems. Totally genuine. None of that's an act.

Billy Joe is a funny old piss taker.

I me malcolm Bruce the other day (jacks son) he was very nice too. I also Met Jacks wife who was equally pleasant.

Being in a position to meet all sorts of "famous" musicians I have to say, I'm struggling to think of one who was a ****. Actually, there are 2, father and son, but I won't name them on here.

I can't get through a Dream Theatre LP. I can listen to John Patrucci solos for an hour straight.

same here.. no denying the musician ship is there, but small doses.

I met Nuno Bettencourt (frmo Extreme) a few weeks ago.. he throws a big family reunion bash every year in his home town (Hudson Ma).

My son was band mates with his Nephew and they remain good friends. Shawn (my son)wound up playing a short set set with Adrien and his uncle Nuno, so the wife and I went.

very down to earth and friendly guy. he was going to mingle with the crowd after a set, he walked right by me, nodded hello, I put my hand out and told him I was the drummers dad he just jammed with.. He says "Your son is AWESOME!!" I said thanks,, and wished him well.. off he went.. had a lot of ppl looking to chat w/him.

Steve Vai..

It was the summer of 1998 (I think). I was in the Height Ashbury neighborhood doing a project. I was staying in place next to the Red Vic and was walking out the door in the morning and I saw someone I had seen a few times before, riding a red beach-cruiser bicycle with a sign that said 4-Sail. One of buddies said you should by Steve Vai's bike. I'm like.."That's Steve Vai?"

"Yup. He's been hangin out down here a bunch lately, doing some recording or something". I was a little bit surprised. I mean in the Height Ashbury back then, you would see 'famous' people daily. But Steve Vai was someone I really thought was cool. I had the Flex-able record and I was diggin what he did with Whitesnake, and Diamond Dave. Anyway, I didn't want to bug him, he was clearly looking sorta 'incognito'.

I used to bring my acoustic to Golden Gate Park in the afternoons, and throw frisbees and boomerangs and play drums with the hippies. (ya know smoke a lil grass, maybe drop some acid and hang out)

I'm there and I'm playin the guitar, and Steve Vai comes up riding the red beach cruiser up on 'hippie hill' and borrows one of the hippie's guitars, and asks me to strum an "E" chord, tunes the guitar up and we start jamming. Pretty soon we are jammin hard on a impromtu version of Voodoo Chile with the Hippies playing their drums too. That's something I will never forget.

Life Changing.

Unfortunately the last 3 that I met have died. They were all super nice people and we met within the auspices of my profession. Glen Campbell was nice and cracking jokes and was still with it when I met him. Walter Becker was super nice. I met and spent time with Tom Petty last St. Patricks day, he couldn't have been nicer.

I didn't let any of them know that I play guitar. Maybe that's why they were so nice.

Has anyone ever met Dave Mustaine before? I would imagine this guy probably doesn't want to talk to you... Anyone know otherwise? I bet I'd get a good laugh at your story. BTW, off topic but Dave >> Kirk msp_biggrin.gif (skills, writing)

No doubt in my mind that the best thing that happened to the Thrash scene was Dave gettin booted from Metallica. The result was 2 over-the-top great bands in Metallica and Megadeth. I am fairly certain my desert island album would be rust in peace. 40 minutes of sonic perfection. The playing on that album, by the "classic" lineup. Dave Mustaine is a much easier person to approach these days than he was back in the 80's and 90's. But the guitar magic on the Rust in Peace Album was Marty Freidman.

But are you cold as ice?

I am!

That's why my bag hurts.

And I'm so cool I don't do foreigner any more,lol.

Was ok I'm high school.

But does nothing for me now.

There are few bands I listened to back then I still like today.

I thought Jimmy page was pretty cool when I met him but I know many people have said otherwise.

Gilmore is pretty cool.

Alan parsons too, I used to jam with his son in my school years.

Lemmy was extremely nice to us, on several occasions. (I assume bass guitarists count)

Clapton was a nice guy, very funny.

Tony Butler (another bassist, big country) is a lovely bloke. Travelled home with him after a recent solo concert. Foookin hilarious. I was very drunk, he gave me a lift home from the station too.

Dave grohl is as lovely as he seems. Totally genuine. None of that's an act.

Billy Joe is a funny old piss taker.

I me malcolm Bruce the other day (jacks son) he was very nice too. I also Met Jacks wife who was equally pleasant.

Being in a position to meet all sorts of "famous" musicians I have to say, I'm struggling to think of one who was a ****. Actually, there are 2, father and son, but I won't name them on here.

Farnsbarn definitely wins this thread

one other mention. Got to meet with and talk to John Gorka after one of his shows out in Western Mass. (he's a folk singer/writer, the wife and I love the guy, we go to see him every time he comes around)

John has to be one of the nicest guys in the bizz as well as quite funny. The last time we saw him, he did the usual meet and greet after he was done playing. I handed him the strap I have for me J200, and he signed it.

652409164.jpg

Charlie Starr & Paul Jackson of Blackberry Smoke. few years back couple buddies & I got to hang out with them outside their tour bus before a gig for about 40 mins. just talked guitars, music & fishing. just regular guys. a year later we ran into Paul & their bassist at the Peach Festival. they were killing time watching another band at one of the smaller stages. people were just strolling by, didnt recognize them. we walked up and struck up a conversation. mentioned meeting them a year before by their bus. suddenly you could see the lights come on, and Paul said yea, we were talking about surf fishing ! lol. good bunch of guys.

Chris: I know several people who have met Mustaine, and I've only heard good things. He has this press persona that is certainly his own fault, but it did keep Megadeth in the headlines. And he's got issues, only then he poured alcohol and heroin on top of them. The press loved it, of course.

As did the readers. I'd rather have my rock stars outspoken, myself. And you could not fault the playing. That guy is surgically precise, and I don't like their albums post-Friedman, but he's not only technically amazing - he has his very own style when it comes to writing riffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2fwXeaIfXA

Doug Rappoport

When I first saw this video I was hooked. Such a great player. If you don't know him, he plays for Edgar Winter.

This video is worth watching all of it.

I wonder what Hotel that is? I get nearly thrown out for a lil 20 watt and a 1x12. I guess it pays to be on the 'Guest List". But yea real sweet tone. Real Joe Perry.

Archived