Gibson Brands Forums

Cool Guitar Players

NighthawkChris

Albert Lee did a masterclass at my music school years ago. He seemed like a nice guy. Does that count? If not, I've got no other stories of meeting famous guitarists.

Chad Smith from RHCP and the guys from the UK jazz band Polar Bear (no guitarist in their band) also did masterclasses while I was studying.

Edit...I nearly forgot, Phil Robson (UK Jazz guitarist) did a guitar masterclass too. He was amazing and easily the best of all in terms of musicianship. Seemed like a really humble, easy going guy.

Here's Phil for anyone who hasn't heard of him

Chris: I know several people who have met Mustaine, and I've only heard good things. He has this press persona that is certainly his own fault, but it did keep Megadeth in the headlines. And he's got issues, only then he poured alcohol and heroin on top of them. The press loved it, of course.

he baptized an old friend of mine about 10 yrs ago. he also said he was cool.

i haven't met many guitar gods.

george thoroughgood - met him 3 or 4 times. he was not pleasant any of those times. at least one of them was my fault though.

vinnie moore - heard me butchering a motley crue song in a guitar store. came over and asked me if he could show me the proper way to play it. showed me a few other things too. i had no idea who he was, i thought he was just some guy in a guitar store. later i went up to the counter to buy and the guy says to me "pretty cool huh? getting a free lesson from a famous shredder". i was was like...what? who THAT guy? they told me he was vinnie moore. i had no clue at the moment of it.

mike mckenna - most of you won't know the name, but he is a canadian blues hall of famer. hell of a nice guy. was my neighbor for years. one of the people who made my time in canada as enjoyable as it was.

randy bachman - met him briefly at a q107 christmas party. he seemed pretty cool.

kid rock - not a guitar player, really. but a famous person in rock. he was pretty cool. months before he got big, he sat between me and a buddy at the bar, bought everyone in the place a beer, and hung out like everyone else for a while. his live show was really good.

niko mcbrain - again, not a guitar player. and i didn't actually meet him really, other than a quick hello. but i watched while he gave my little brother a free drum lesson for at least half an hour or more.

travis tritt - met him in virginia while he was touring 10' tall and bullett proof. it was a random meeting, i didn't even like country music then. he seemed like a pretty cool guy

axl and some other guys from gnr were passed out on the floor of some guy's house when i went to pick up a friend. at the time the guy said they were some band from la who were about to blow up. i didnt pay any attention because back then, everyone said their band was about to blow up. i didnt think anything of it. a while later, i'm riding down the road, and appetite is cranked on my cassette player. i spot that buddy of mine walking down the road, so i pick him up. he says oh yeah, man! remember these guys? they were passed out on the floor at that dude's house last year.

I'm been friends with Lenny Kaye from the Patti Smith Group for decades.

Whenever I'm in the area I drop by and hang out for a few hours and BS about guitars and motorcycles and stereo gear and turtles.

I'll probably wind up owning his two old BMWs which are collecting dust in the garage.

I kind of horrify his wife as she thinks I'll get Lenny back on a bike again, ha, ha.

It was so funny when his wife, Stephanie, saw that we ended up with near matching tattoos without knowing it. "Oh my god, you guys are twins!".

Here he is engaging in Whammy Bar Abuse:

Mitch Allan.

His band Honor Among Thieves used to play regularly at a live venue walking distance from my house. Then they changed their name to SR-71 and made it pretty big hopping on the "Alternative" band wagon with other bands like Blink 182 and Good Charlotte. Plus he's written many songs used by other big artists. I met him several times before he made it big and after. Really cool guy every time. Very humble. No big shot attitude. I took care of him on a flight when I was an airline supervisor, around the time their hit "Right Now" was at it's height. We talked for a long time about local stuff and he was telling me how cool it is meeting guys like Ritchie Sambora and Mick Mars and others.

He's still busy these days, and I'm sure he's still the same nice/cool guy.

[blush] [blush]

Axe...L5Larry...cool players on the forum.

P.s...got my albums signed by jazz guys; John Scofield, Barney Kessel, Tal Farlow, Cal Collins (he was great).

Hope to see Jim Mullen next month, Scotland's finest and a big hero of mine....

B) [thumbup]

Archived