Gibson Brands Forums

Funeral of Johhny Hallyday...

pippy

Just spent the last few hours watching the funeral of Johnny Hallyday on French TV.

The first address to the crowd (reportedly circa 1,000,000 lined the route) was delivered by the current French President, Emmanuel Macron. Two former Presidents of France (Hollande and Sarkozy) were part of the small group who were on the steps of the Eglise de la Madeleine before the ceremony go under way.

A couple of snaps. The first is a part of the route from the Place de la Concorde and the second shows the cortege descending the Champs Elysees from l'Arc de Triomphe.

In the latter snap the coffin's hearse is followed by some 780 members of the Harley-Davidson Club of France - Hallyday was a passionate devotee of the marque.

Madeleine.jpg

Champs-_E.jpg

All this for a Rock'n'Roller.

I couldn't help but wonder whether we, in the UK, would put on such a 'Farewell' for any of our musicians...

eusa_think.gif

Pip.

Thanks for posting this Pippy. I think the french have a way of admiring frenchness in their fellow citizens a sort of banding together. After all Hallyday did say it is better to be a king in your own country than a prince in another. As you say would we put on a show like that for Cliff Richard.

Even across the pond the death of a rock star hits the news but forgotten the next day, look at Tom Petty!

Changing the subject how do you get French TV in England?

Just spent the last few hours watching the funeral of Johnny Hallyday on French TV.

The first address to the crowd (reportedly circa 1,000,000 lined the route) was delivered by the current French President, Emmanuel Macron. Two former Presidents of France (Hollande and Sarkozy) were part of the small group who were on the steps of the Eglise de la Madeleine before the ceremony go under way.

A couple of snaps. The first is a part of the route from the Place de la Concorde and the second shows the cortege descending the Champs Elysees from l'Arc de Triomphe.

In the latter snap the coffin's hearse is followed by some 780 members of the Harley-Davidson Club of France - Hallyday was a passionate devotee of the marque.

Madeleine.jpg

Champs-_E.jpg

I couldn't help but wonder whether we, in the UK, would put on such a 'Farewell' for any of our musicians...

eusa_think.gif

Pip.

eusa_think.gif

Pip.

You've really answered your own question Pip.

This is France - not the UK.

I always thought Hallyday was a good singer BUT...he was French. And that did for him everywhere except...France.

The U.K or U.S obviously have a broader church of pop music legends so unlikely it would be as concentrated as in places with a handful, but (should they die relatively soon) I'd say messieurs McCartney, Jagger, John, and Dylan could be candidates for such pageantry.

...and perhaps the absence of an all-consuming royal family allows oxygen for such things in places like France. [biggrin]

He was genuinely an icon IMO.

I first heard of him when I was a kid, in about '65 or..??

He'd been there all that time. So he represented a lot to a lot of people over all those years.

He deserved the send-off; he was loved.

End of an era, no-one else like him.

R.I.P.

Thank you all for your responses.

...would we put on a show like that for Cliff Richard...

Changing the subject how do you get French TV in England?...

I DID wonder about Sir Cliff, fretplay. I think he would certainly deserve some pageantry.

As far as the TV source; by means of that magical invention of Tim Berners-Lee; the WWW (of course).

...he was French. And that did for him everywhere except...France...

Yes.

Well; other Francophone countries liked him too. But apart from 1 (one) song he always stayed true to his French mother-tongue which probably didn't help him too much in the 'world-wide-fame' stakes. Still; with sales of over 110 Million albums he was obviously doing something right.

The U.K or U.S obviously have a broader church of pop music legends so unlikely it would be as concentrated as in places with a handful, but...I'd say messieurs McCartney, Jagger, John, and Dylan could be candidates for such pageantry...

I wonder.

The (French) wife and I were pondering this after the events of today and, of the British contingent, Macca was my #1 candidate followed by Jagger and, perhaps, Clapton.

But try as I might I cannot imagine a similar entourage to be in attendance for anyone. Can you really see Theresa May orating an impassioned eulogy to Sir Paul with the likes of David Cameron, John Major and the like in the wings?

On the other side of the pond Dylan might be the notable exception.

He was genuinely an icon IMO....he represented a lot to a lot of people over all those years...He deserved the send-off; he was loved.

End of an era, no-one else like him...

This was the message from the events of today. He genuinely was loved by so many people from different generations and different backgrounds.

To round-off the evening we have just been enjoying the slightly dark comedy "L'homme du Train" co-starring Hallyday with that other recently-deceased and well-loved French national treasure Jean Rochefort. Superb film.

Pip.

Yeah, hard to say Pip. The Champs Élysées also offer a great 'venue' for people to come out of the offices and shops at lunchtime to watch, not sure as easy in London (though surely all of Liverpool would turn out for their boy). I'd reckon Blair, Cameron and Brown would probably attend plus some Royals and wannabe royals, Major would be confused and May would be checking Twitter.

Archived