Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Center downgraded again

Dub-T-123

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're probably in pretty bad shape but this guy "the Guitologist," the guy who made this video, makes ignorant videos about everything you can think of. He makes amp videos where he knows absolutely nothing about what he's talking about and people love it! His guitar videos are probably just the same blather. [unsure]

Yeah, I don't get the haters out there (and I saw the same stuff you saw by same Guitarologist fool)... I understand how people get when they have a bad experience at some place they have given their patronage to, but people go on the deep end with how bad GC and Gibson are. I know one thing. I can think for myself, and cannot say all that much bad about GC as a customer. Now if I was an investor in this company, I might have more contempt, but I am expressing my consumer appeal to GC. I came from the generation before GC was around and have been jacked around by my local mom and pop shop for years before I gladly watched that mom and pop shop near me go out of business (rot in Hell Anderson's music). I don't get it where GC has been non-competitive with prices as their prices for used gear is pretty damn good, they have always tried to work a deal when you know how to be civil and negotiate properly, and they haven't ever sold me anything new that wasn't able to be returned if there were issues (or just because I didn't want something). I don't work for GC nor do I care where people buy their crap, but I will not be happy when (and if) this company goes bankrupt. I get it that bankruptcy seems inevitable at this point in time, but just sucks if you ask me. I guess when you are a company that has had success for years and start to go under, all the haters mount up and have something to cower to. Watch where you get your facts, because GC isn't a bad place for the consumer - and this is coming form a regular 'ol dude who has spent tens of thousands of dollars there for the quality equipment that I have today.

Just to add as I have said, their tech services are not their strongest services - probably by a long shot. But their merchandise and selection is pretty nice if you ask me. If you get crap from there, you have 45 days - a MONTH AND A HALF to figure out if something you spent your saved pennies and nickels for during any given amount of time is truly worth it. I mean, what place gives you this service and returns your stuff no questions asked? Yes, SW, MF, etc... GC does too. So call me a fan boy of GC, I love this place (and I love Gibson guitars). They have definitely made playing music fun with the gear they have helped me acquire over the years. I seriously cannot think of a single bad experience I have had at GC... I know some people may have had a bad time there in the past, but I tend to think that this is not how it goes a vast majority of the time... Figure things out for yourself - don't listen to the internet crap out there. Everyone has an opinion today and there seems to be a lot more bad ones then good as most things in life and people today. So sour...

If you lived where I live you would at least be a bit angry. We had some great stores around here. Gibson and GC represent a buying block that can't be overcome. Our Gibson and Fender stores are long gone, they couldn't make the payments that only something as big as GC can in an area like this. I don't hate them, I hate what the business has become.

rct

Yeah, I don't get the haters out there (and I saw the same stuff you saw by same Guitarologist fool)... I understand how people get when they have a bad experience at some place they have given their patronage to, but people go on the deep end with how bad GC and Gibson are. I know one thing. I can think for myself, and cannot say all that much bad about GC as a customer. Now if I was an investor in this company, I might have more contempt, but I am expressing my consumer appeal to GC. I came from the generation before GC was around and have been jacked around by my local mom and pop shop for years before I gladly watched that mom and pop shop near me go out of business (rot in Hell Anderson's music). I don't get it where GC has been non-competitive with prices as their prices for used gear is pretty damn good, they have always tried to work a deal when you know how to be civil and negotiate properly, and they haven't ever sold me anything new that wasn't able to be returned if there were issues (or just because I didn't want something). I don't work for GC nor do I care where people buy their crap, but I will not be happy when (and if) this company goes bankrupt. I get it that bankruptcy seems inevitable at this point in time, but just sucks if you ask me. I guess when you are a company that has had success for years and start to go under, all the haters mount up and have something to cower to. Watch where you get your facts, because GC isn't a bad place for the consumer - and this is coming form a regular 'ol dude who has spent tens of thousands of dollars there for the quality equipment that I have today.

Just to add as I have said, their tech services are not their strongest services - probably by a long shot. But their merchandise and selection is pretty nice if you ask me. If you get crap from there, you have 45 days - a MONTH AND A HALF to figure out if something you spent your saved pennies and nickels for during any given amount of time is truly worth it. I mean, what place gives you this service and returns your stuff no questions asked? Yes, SW, MF, etc... GC does too. So call me a fan boy of GC, I love this place (and I love Gibson guitars). They have definitely made playing music fun with the gear they have helped me acquire over the years. I seriously cannot think of a single bad experience I have had at GC... I know some people may have had a bad time there in the past, but I tend to think that this is not how it goes a vast majority of the time... Figure things out for yourself - don't listen to the internet crap out there. Everyone has an opinion today and there seems to be a lot more bad ones then good as most things in life and people today. So sour...

No, GC really is that bad. It’s not “hating” it’s describing actual experiences. We have two here, they’re both awful.

Their selection may be “pretty nice” but the internet’s is better and cheaper. Without decent customer service there’s no reason to set foot in a GC.

They're probably in pretty bad shape but this guy "the Guitologist," the guy who made this video, makes ignorant videos about everything you can think of. He makes amp videos where he knows absolutely nothing about what he's talking about and people love it! His guitar videos are probably just the same blather. [unsure]

Yeah he seems like a good guy and great player, but sometimes his repair videos make me cringe. He just does things wrong sometimes when the solution seems so obvious

I think he admits to not being much of an authoritative expert and learning along with the viewer so to speak, but you’re right..

Yeah he seems like a good guy and great player, but sometimes his repair videos make me cringe. He just does things wrong sometimes when the solution seems so obvious

I think he admits to not being much of an authoritative expert and learning along with the viewer so to speak, but you’re right..

People like his videos because they’re interesting. He admitted on at least one video that I’ve seen that he’s only been repairing amps for a little while and it started as an offshoot from him working in a music store.

What that’s got to do with GC being downgraded is beyond me. He just made a video about it, he didn’t downgrade them. We all know GC is hurting.

If you lived where I live you would at least be a bit angry. We had some great stores around here. Gibson and GC represent a buying block that can't be overcome. Our Gibson and Fender stores are long gone, they couldn't make the payments that only something as big as GC can in an area like this. I don't hate them, I hate what the business has become.

rct

I’ve bought two new LP, both about 25 years ago give or take. Both came from smaller stores when they were Gibson dealers. One of those stores is long gone and I’m not sure about the other, I haven’t been in there in years.

But it’s not just GC, it’s all brick and mortar retail that is hurting. Almost every physical store chain is getting killed by the internet.

I've bought two new LP, both about 25 years ago give or take. Both came from smaller stores when they were Gibson dealers. One of those stores is long gone and I'm not sure about the other, I haven't been in there in years.

But it's not just GC, it's all brick and mortar retail that is hurting. Almost every physical store chain is getting killed by the internet.

yep. and the local family owned store I do 98% of my business with, has always price matched any and all prices from the internet stores. plus over the years they have treated me so well, giving me extra good prices on new & or used gear I actually feel guilty if I get something somewhere else. I've actually heard the young worker double checking with the owner on a price of a guitar say after his anser "it's for Doug", and the owner say "oh... then it's..." and it's a couple $100 even less. i tell everyone locally to go there. they are hanging in there.

Somewhat off subject, but folks making the corillation between Guitar Center and Gibson makes me think. It seems to me where Gibson needs the biggest push is in their price point strategy. I think Gibson should continue to make the high end Les Pauls and 330 series instruments without question. But Gibson has no legit market competetors in the $500-$1000 range.

With the ability of these CNC machines to cut out great guitars at a furious pace, there seems to be several builders who can bring excellent instruments to market for five to fifteen hundred dollars less than Gibson. ESP, and Schecter both make fantastic American made guitars and seem to be doing quite well. And for their custom instruments built in America, you pay a premium. However they are building pro quality instruments that are great for the "common man" or working musician that may be able to play a 335 in the studio, but can't afford to buy one to gig with and beat up.

Guitar players in my generation seem to buy guitars that perform well and can be bought for <$1000. I have my Les Paul Studio, had a SG for awhile, but the last several guitars I have bought are "Gibson grade" instruments with all the features that are $1000 or less. I still have not bought my own 335. I would love to get one, but $3000+ for a guitar is just a bunch of money man.

Epiphone, in my experience is NOT a legit competetor to Schecter, or ESP, and definately not to PRS. Fender has the MIM series, Gibson has no offering in that price that competes imo.

I would seriously encourage Gibson to concentrate on making pro-quality instruments that compete in the price point that the common man can buy.

yep. and the local family owned store I do 98% of my business with, has always price matched any and all prices from the internet stores. plus over the years they have treated me so well, giving me extra good prices on new & or used gear I actually feel guilty if I get something somewhere else. I've actually heard the young worker double checking with the owner on a price of a guitar say after his anser "it's for Doug", and the owner say "oh... then it's..." and it's a couple $100 even less. i tell everyone locally to go there. they are hanging in there.

My local store is much the same way. If he doesn't have it, he'll get it. I pay a little more for strings than I would at GC or others but I drive right by on my way home and I can stop in, talk with him and his guitar instructor (and customers) for a bit. I'm in a small town, so all the musicians around here know each other.

Personally, I don't have a big issue with GC and stop by there at least once a month. They know me and know I buy stuff and don't just come in to play Sweet Child O' Mine loudly and poorly. I won't take my guitars there to get worked on because I did have issues with their repair staff. I also wouldn't take my computer to Best Buy for service either. They don't pay their people well enough to have enough experience to do a fantastic job and they're overbooked. I hope there's a big music boom and people start playing instruments again. The crap that I hear on TV and elsewhere grates on my nerves.

Yep that is where I go to thinking AC/DC is going to audition me for Malcom's spot. Of course people are in GC playing riffs. What am I supposed to do pick up a guitar plug it in play one E chord and or that premise buy a guitar?

If Mrs and I approach a restaurant and there's a buncha people in there eatin and drankin, we go somewhere else.

rct

I understand that others have legitimate reasons to dislike GC. I just happen to not have had any bad experiences over the years. I seem to be in the minority and I should consider myself fortunate.

rct, I feel you on what you have said. That sucks what happened in your situation. I agree, the business has become something else. What I do find obvious is that both GC and GIbson have done a very poor job at "survival" and seem to have lost touch with their customer bases. I do not believe that someone should have to spend Gibson money for a high quality guitar. Guitars are archaic things... They are also simple in design for the most part. That being said, I still am not taking a different stance on what I have said, just that I am trying my best to empathize with others' experiences. I am but one man and one experience who sees the world through my eyes only. I find great value in listening to others. I tend to get aggravated with the all too common rants about Gibson and GC I guess. It just annoys the crap out of me being that I have heard so much lately and I just haven't had any reason for developing any contempt yet. Maybe one day I will if they are still around in a year. I am interested to see how this story unfolds... Perhaps I can have an epiphany about GC and Gibson. Hey, I try to be objective as I can. I will share experience honestly and sincerely, but I don't like to stand for those (i.e. GC, Gibson, etc. in this case) that do not appreciate others' patronage. Stating the obvious here, customer appreciation is at the heart of every successful business IMO. This is not fact, but it seems very logical to me.

But it's not just GC, it's all brick and mortar retail that is hurting. Almost every physical store chain is getting killed by the internet.

Evolution of business. I have heard that some companies are moving in the direction towards more of a warehouse type inventory to compete in the internet business space. I would imagine that any business scheme change/migration would have some financial impact. Whether it is short-term or long-term, only time will tell - and our dollars of course msp_biggrin.gif

I understand that others have legitimate reasons to dislike GC. I just happen to not have had any bad experiences over the years. I seem to be in the minority and I should consider myself fortunate.

rct, I feel you on what you have said. That sucks what happened in your situation. I agree, the business has become something else. What I do find obvious is that both GC and GIbson have done a very poor job at "survival" and seem to have lost touch with their customer bases. I do not believe that someone should have to spend Gibson money for a high quality guitar. Guitars are archaic things... They are also simple in design for the most part. That being said, I still am not taking a different stance on what I have said, just that I am trying my best to empathize with others' experiences. I am but one man and one experience who sees the world through my eyes only. I find great value in listening to others. I tend to get aggravated with the all too common rants about Gibson and GC I guess. It just annoys the crap out of me being that I have heard so much lately and I just haven't had any reason for developing any contempt yet. Maybe one day I will if they are still around in a year. I am interested to see how this story unfolds... Perhaps I can have an epiphany about GC and Gibson. Hey, I try to be objective as I can. I will share experience honestly and sincerely, but I don't like to stand for those (i.e. GC, Gibson, etc. in this case) that do not appreciate others' patronage. Stating the obvious here, customer appreciation is at the heart of every successful business IMO. This is not fact, but it seems very logical to me.

Why does people telling you their experiences with GC annoy you? I’ve had almost nothing but horrible experiences with the two GC near me and their prices don’t justify going on.

Just a recent example: I need a 5 way Fender selector switch, I looked on GC’s website, the one near me has them for $13.99. I looked on EBay and found genuine Fender switches for $9.99. So I’ll judt save myself $4 bucks and order it online.

When I buy guitars I don’t want to deal with one of their knucklehead salesman. Online you can barter on the price and you don’t have to deal with their BS. You offer X amount of dollars for a guitar, they either accept it or they don’t.

Last time I bought anything in store from GC was about 6 months ago, I needed some strings for a classical guitar I’d just bought. I went in and couldn’t even find anyone to ring me out. I finally got the attention of someone, he had to go get a cashier and then the cashier acted put out that he had to come run the register. It’s just not worth dealing with.

Evolution of business. I have heard that some companies are moving in the direction towards more of a warehouse type inventory to compete in the internet business space. I would imagine that any business scheme change/migration would have some financial impact. Whether it is short-term or long-term, only time will tell - and our dollars of course msp_biggrin.gif

Dude...it’s obviously long term. It’s not new. Look at all the retail chains that have disappeared or are about to. B Dalton, Borders is hurting, Kmart, Sears, Best Buy is hurting, Radio Shack, JC Penny, Macy’s, Comp USA, Toys R US just declared bankruptcy.

Unless they sell something people need instantly.....there is almost no reason to go buy something at a physical store. Why go Christmas shopping in a mall when you can do the same shopping on an phone and have it delivered to the front door?

GC is no different. They have a ton of debt and thinks aren’t looking good for them.

People like his videos because they’re interesting. He admitted on at least one video that I’ve seen that he’s only been repairing amps for a little while and it started as an offshoot from him working in a music store.

What that’s got to do with GC being downgraded is beyond me. He just made a video about it, he didn’t downgrade them. We all know GC is hurting.

Good point. Fair enough...

I don't know you seemed to be pretty annoyed cause I don't like U2 or Nirvana.

No, I took issue with you saying Cobain “and the Ramones” were proof any “schmuck” can play a few chords and have a career and you repeatedly asking why people liked U2.

So “annoyed”? No, I just pointed out how hypocritical you are.

If you’re going to comment at least be honest because it’s not like the posts aren’t still there for anyone to see.

I pointed out to you that people have different tastes yet you still don’t seem to get it.

My local store is much the same way. If he doesn't have it, he'll get it. I pay a little more for strings than I would at GC or others but I drive right by on my way home and I can stop in, talk with him and his guitar instructor (and customers) for a bit. I'm in a small town, so all the musicians around here know each other.

Personally, I don't have a big issue with GC and stop by there at least once a month. They know me and know I buy stuff and don't just come in to play Sweet Child O' Mine loudly and poorly. I won't take my guitars there to get worked on because I did have issues with their repair staff. I also wouldn't take my computer to Best Buy for service either. They don't pay their people well enough to have enough experience to do a fantastic job and they're overbooked. I hope there's a big music boom and people start playing instruments again. The crap that I hear on TV and elsewhere grates on my nerves.

People do buy instruments, but there are decades worth of used instruments available so fewer people are buying new. A new Les Paul Custom goes for $4,000-5000 bucks. You can buy a clean used one for half of that. Why would you buy new?

The last 4 years I’ve bought ....I think....12 guitars....only one was new, a Yamaha Revstar, which I bought off of a store on Ebay. I’ve bought from Ebay several times, from Reverb a couple of times, from Craigslist, from a pawnshop....but I haven’t bought any guitars from GC, although I did buy a used keyboard online from GC a few year ago.

None of the guys I play with buy new stuff as far as equipment goes but we buy a lot of used stuff. I buy strings and picks from Sweetwater, usually through EBay. 3 packs of Ernie Ball are 10 bucks from Sweetwater. Any misc stuff I need I pick up from Ebay usually.

I don’t think GC, Gibson, etc are having problems from a lack of guitar sales, it’s just people are buying used and from different places. There’s endless guitars for sale right now on EBay, Reverb, Amazon, guitar sites, Craigslist, pawn shops, etc.

Archived