Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Center downgraded again

Dub-T-123

People do buy instruments, but there are decades worth of used instruments available so fewer people are buying new. A new Les Paul Custom goes for $4,000-5000 bucks. You can a clean used one for half of that. Why would you buy new?

I don’t think GC, Gibson, etc are having problems from a lack of guitar sales, it’s just people are buying used and from different places. There’s endless guitars for sale right now on EBay, Reverb, Amazon, guitar sites, Craigslist, pawn shops, etc.

yep. and pretty much everything has now just become a commodity these days, so price seems to be the main thing.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...Last time I bought anything in store from GC was about 6 months ago, I needed some strings for a classical guitar I’d just bought. I went in and couldn’t even find anyone to ring me out. I finally got the attention of someone, he had to go get a cashier and then the cashier acted put out that he had to come run the register. It’s just not worth dealing with.

You just reminded me of something I had forgotten about GC. Never have I been in a store where it takes longer to check out & pay for an item than it did to pick something out to buy in the first place. That is one of the most F---ed up processes I have ever encountered. That was one of the reasons I stopped going there bdecause it just seemed so ignorant. Hey - here I am wanting to give you money for something and you're like well now let's just see what all we can do to take up all your free time today [cursing]

Rant over. :)

Ok Fellas. Everyone to their Neutral corners... [unsure]

No worries man, haha! I have respect for others on this board. I actually appreciate the input I receive on this board. I hope everyone here has happy holidays this season. Getting a bit sappy here, but I spend a fair amount of time here conversing, and I wanted to say thanks for the conversations! I was a little bummed to hear the news about GC, that's all... Aggravated or not about what I read or hear, I believe that anyone should share their experiences good or bad if it helps them. I am trying my best to have the most insight about others' experiences to enlighten my understanding. The internet doesn't need another jerk, so I am trying to be a better person to others. And, I think I share my opinion too much, haha! Anyhow, cheers fellas! I always wish the best for others in my heart. Sometimes the surface can be clouded, but it's what's inside us that makes us who we are.

You just reminded me of something I had forgotten about GC. Never have I been in a store where it takes longer to check out & pay for an item than it did to pick something out to buy in the first place. That is one of the most F---ed up processes I have ever encountered. That was one of the reasons I stopped going there bdecause it just seemed so ignorant. Hey - here I am wanting to give you money for something and you're like well now let's just see what all we can do to take up all your free time today [cursing]

Rant over. :)

Exactly. When I went in to buy the strings it was later in the evening and the floor was empty. A store that big and they can’t keep someone on a register?

It’s the same at Walmart if you try to buy electronics. You have to track someone down to buy something from them.

Could be part of why sales suck and people are buying online. I’ve never had to track down Ebay to buy something from it.

yep. and pretty much everything has now just become a commodity these days, so price seems to be the main thing.

Of course, it’s that way with everything. But with a used guitar unless it’s been thrashed it’s going to work just as well as a new one.

You can find used Les Pauls that look brand new everywhere and they cost much less than new.

I just don’t see the point in buying new.

Just my two cents here but I find the staff, as many others do, uneducated about their products. I worked in a music store many many years ago and part of our training was to have a basic knowledge about the products. If GC ratings have once again been downgraded to CCC- then they will have a tough time finding someone to buy them. I suppose that someone, like Sweetwater might be about to buy them and do a complete overhaul, but it would be better to go chapter 11, and become an on line store. Personally I would not like that. I like music stores. They often times are where musicians can gather to exchange ideas and have some fun. Maybe that's what is wrong with GC. Going there never seems like....fun

Archived