Gibson Brands Forums

Modern Jazz Guitarists

cody78

I was reading a thread the other day on meeting famous/ semi famous guitarists and it reminded me of Phil Robson who came to my old music school to do a masterclass many years ago. I was very impressed with his playing and it got me thinking about other great modern jazzers (when I say modern I mean in the last 20 years or so). Sylvain Luc is another one who I think is at the top of his game. I hope one day to be even half as good at jazz as these guys. Which jazz players are you guys impressed with?

Here's Phil Robson

...and Sylvain Luc

There are a lot but not really so many in the last 20 yrs.

Agree with what you say about Phil Robson, seeing him play reminded me of the early John McLaughlin.

He's now gone to USA to try his luck....however USA seems to be no bigger for jazz than anywhere else these days.

The guy who has really come to prominence in the last 20 yrs is Peter Bernstein.

Also Adam Rogers, Peter White, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Lionel Loueke, Wolfgang Muthspiel, Russell Malone.....

Agree with what you say about Phil Robson, seeing him play reminded me of the early John McLaughlin.

He's now gone to USA to try his luck....however USA seems to be no bigger for jazz than anywhere else these days.

Hi jdgm. Hope you're well. Yes, I can see that comparison now you mention it between Robson & McLaughlin...especially around the time of McLaughlin's Extrapolation. What a truly brilliant album that was.

Regarding the US being no bigger for jazz comment, it's a shame jazz has such a limited audience these days, when some of the finest players can be found within it's varied and long history. You'd think you US would have more of a market, but like you say it seems like the same situation there too.

Thanks for the list of players. I haven't heard of some of them, so will have fun looking their music up.

He didn't but if he did he would be damn good at it. Other than John McLaughlin (not sure if that is spelled right) I don't think I can name a Jazz guitarist. That's Fusion man.There are no guitars in Jazz.

Haha! What about Eddie Lang in the 1920's way before Miles was whipping his trumpet out, or then there was some guy called Django something. Before Lang and Django the banjo was the main rhythm accompaniment in jazz bands and orchestras as it had a louder more cutting sound than guitar at that point.

This would have been around when Miles was aged 1!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qYenBSZ5P0

Jimmy Herring is touring with John McLaughlin, now, or maybe that tour has just ended. Jimmy doesn't see himself as a jazz player (or even fusion, for those of you splitting hairs), but a couple of his latest releases could clearly qualify. Jazz is such a nebulous description and doesn't look anything like it did 35 to 50 years ago. I'm a huge fan of jazz, mostly traditional jazz (Miles, Monk, Montgomery), but I don't listen much to jazz guitar anymore. Through most of the '70s and '80s, I owned all of Pat Metheny's albums.

Surprised no one has mentioned Julian Lage or Lage Lund.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7zosh2Rkhg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXzgWTZ2NW0

I've never got around to listening to Robben playing with Miles. The only Robben Ford stuff I've heard is him playing the blues... and a fine blues player he is.

Go to 2min 50sec. This too is a blues....31 yrs ago now.

What about Alex Skolnik? He's a pretty good jazz player IMO. Not old school like Wes or Pass, but a thing of his own.

Though, good guitar players like Alex have a way of making their music sound good no matter what style you want to call it. Hey, Alex wanted to play jazz instead of Testament... Cool. Record that stuff up and be amazed! Put your heart into anything and it becomes something human, something we all have in common.

Miles sure could work a horn.

[lol][laugh]

If Kenny Burrell qualifies, he would be my choice.

Great guitarist, but I'd put him in with the older generation of players I think, mainly because his first albums as bandleader were released in the 50's.

I know a jazz chord.

rct

...."A jazz chord to say ah love you"....it's still a good joke but doesn't work in print.

If Kenny Burrell qualifies, he would be my choice.

Not a recent modern jazz guitarist by the OPs definition, but probably the last of his generation and IMO the Greatest Living Jazz Guitarist due to his longevity, certainly the most recorded.

Burrell must be 86 or more now; he was the favourite player of both Duke Ellington and Wes Montgomery. I don't think he ever made a bad album.

The latest 2 CDs I got are McLaughlin live at Ronnies, and Kenny Burrell 'Soul Call'.

Archived