Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions needed on possible J-45 purchase

nosoupforyou

Hey all, new to the forum.

I'm a Martin nut, but do have a soft spot in my heart for Gibsons, especially vintage ones. Hope to learn from all you Gibson nuts :-&

So, I was at a local dealer last week, and he has a nice J-45 in there. The place doesn't properly humidify their building, and as a result, the J-45 has unfortunately developed a pretty nasty crack on it's top. The crack (typical) runs from the back of the bridge back to the heel. The crack has opened up enough to where you can see the back wood through the crack.

The guitar plays, and sounds really good, it certainly has that "Gibson Tone". I've been mulling it over for the past week, as the crack doesn't really bother me cosmetically. I'm not sure what the cost of having it cleated would be, but I haggled the dealer down to a price of $1,040 out the door. The guitar is in otherwise as new condition, but it's screaming for some humidity.

I certainly don't need another acoustic guitar, but is this to good to pass up? What do these things typically sell for used, or with a big crack in them? lol! Anyone buy a "new" cracked guitar? If so does Gibson still honor the warrenty etc?

Any opinions would be appreciated!

I would assume that Gibson would honor a warranty. A crack is not a major expense to fix. My local shop (The Podium) charges somewhere around $60-70 to cleat a crack if I am not mistaken.

Based on a post from someone else in a different thread, I would contact Gibson with the serial number prior to buying it to make sure it is not a "used" guitar that has been registered online but still being sold as "new"because then the warranty would not be yours... Probably not a problem, but better safe than sorry.

Not sure Gibson would cover that on the warranty, I'd call 'em.

I've had & have cracked/repaired guitars, including some huge ones (like the length of the side). But these are old players.

On a new instrument like that, I'd want it evaluated first before I plunked that much money down. If the crack is that wide open, check to make sure braces are tight, nothing else has come loose. That is a very wide crack as you describe it.

Not sure on new pricing but have seen used recent build J-45s w/o big cracks etc. going for not much more than your out-the-door price on sites like UMGF, AGF, E'Bay I believe. So if it were me that guitar would have to "grab me" in some way.

If it is clean & you did get it, it can probably be repaired nicely though hard to tell w/o a pic.

I don't believe Gibson covers damage due to humidity issues. If they did, the dealer would have had it fixed. I'm guessing that the dealer will probably make it clear on your sales paperwork that the guitar is sold "as is" with the crack well noted. If you had Gibson look at it for warranty coverage, they would most likely ask for a copy of your receipt and they would see that the crack was present when you bought it.

If it were me, I'd have the dealer fix it and then sell it to you, still at a reduced price, due to the crack issue.

Also, something else to consider is that if the crack was caused because of humidity issues, there could be other damage as well (bracing problems, etc.).

... is this to good to pass up? What do these things typically sell for used' date=' or with a big crack in them? ... does Gibson still honor the warrenty etc? [/quote']

I just wanted to join the "It's hard to say" chorus. An experienced repair person can probably make a good guess about required repairs -- maybe even give you a firm price quote -- after examining the guitar, but the repairs will take awhile, because rehumidification will take weeks and there's no way to tell for sure how close the crack (or opened top seam, if that's what's going on) will come to closing until after that happens. The result might be a repair that's almost invisible, or a repair that's pretty apparent when you look for it, or anywhere in between. The cost could be less than less than $100 or more than $500, if you're looking at fixing serious damage to braces and the bridge plate as well as a serious crack. If it's $100 for a nearly invisible repair, you'd be getting a good deal, since (1) you will be covered by warranty -- not for consequences of the low-humidity abuse, of course, but for anything that was covered in the first place -- and (2) $1140 is a reasonable price for a used one. If it's $500 for an easily visible repair, it's not such a good deal, because you can get a minty used one for significantly less. (Come to think of it, after hearing all these stories about $1500 AJs at GC, I'd guess that there's a reasonable chance you could find an undamaged new J-45 for less than $1540.)

... Anyone buy a "new" cracked guitar?

I have. But the crack was less serious (small, in the back, no bracing involved, and due to impact rather than humidity), I knew what repairs were needed when I bought it (namely, none, although I did get it fixed for cosmetic reasons), and I got a somewhat better deal than you're getting (I paid about the same, but for a higher-priced guitar).

Bottom line: If I were in your place, I'd definitely pass unless I could have it examined by a repair guy I trusted before committing, and I'd probably pass even in that case.

-- Bob R

I'll add my voice to the chorous. I don't think it's such a good deal. If the guitar has been kept in conditions that caused a face crack, that might be the physical damage you can see. But the face of the guitar isn't the only part of the guitar that suffers from being kept in improper conditions. It's holistic. The bridge might be ready to come loose, or crack, likewise the braces, if they haven't, already. You might find out that you've bitten off more than you care to chew. As has been already mentioned, you can find lots of good, used J-45s for relatively short money----no reason to buy someone else's headache.

The crack is your visible damage, but if the guitar has been kept in 20% humidity for several months, there are likely other problems on the verge of developing.

If you want the guitar, here is what I would suggest. Ask for a seven day approval period after which you can have a full refund if you aren't happy. If they agree, take it to a good tech and have it checked out thoroughly. If you are confident that the guitar can be stabilized, and if the crack closes up a bit with proper humidification - maybe the whole deal will work out.

Still, you should consider other advice on this forum to purchased a used Gibby in perfect condition for the same amount of cash.

More than a thousand bucks for a guitar with a large crack when I see other used ones going for $1100 - $1300? I don't think so!

Also, I'd be very concerned that that much of a major repair would cause a change in the tone.

My 2 cents? There are lots of used J-45's out there at good prices. Enjoy the hunt. Let this one pass.

Dan

Listen heres my 2 cents. "Dont buy it" ! You can get great used like new! J 45s all over e bay for $1000 to $1200. Great AJs for $1200 -$1500. I just dont know what people are thinking sometimes!! I mean c mon guys a crack you can see the back through! Ya it would be a buy at $700 but not over a grand!

Anyway thats my 2 cent! suburude

Archived