Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - LP Gem In Sapphire!

NighthawkChris

Well, got this beaut used with TKL case in great condition too! Price was great too for $850! It has some wear but I like that �� everything works and sounds great! This was a deal I couldn't refuse. I'll get pics shortly. I like the way the finish checks on these guitars. Looks great to my eyes. Only cosmetics are some very slight chips on headstock and worming on the back, but the guitar is 22+ years old, and oh, she's been played... yes she has! This bit-ch is mine ��absolutely LOVE the P90s! That neck position is like nothing else I this world I have heard from a LP in my hands.

EDIT: Sorry for triple posts... My phone sucks. Anyhow, here's the Gem

Planning to not top-wrap as well once I get time to set this thing up

Congrats! I had one of those for years in the very same color! These are great guitars with great tone. I don't even remember what I sold it for to buy something else I don't remember. Being a bonified gear SL*T has it's drawbacks especially when you can't remember what the hell you got in exchange for it [confused]

I wish I'd have kept it in retrospect. Don't be me - keep yours! [thumbup][biggrin]

Enjoy!!!!!

Hell yeah, thanks everyone for the nice comments, I appreciate them! I really like the guitar a ton.

I took some time to give it some TLC last night - removed strings and cleaned it over with my super soft flannel cloth and cleaner Dunlop cleaner spray. Nothing major, just wanted to remove the old dust and previous players' DNA. Gave the fretboard a drink of some oil as it wasn't too dried out to begin with. Truss rod works just fine - didn't have to do too much here just gave it quarter turn in both directions over the past couple days (1/4 turn to loosen on day one, let it rest, then gave it a tighten last night). I noticed that the neck was responding to the adjustments by measuring the string-fret gap via feeler gauge. Obviously a slight turn in both directions, but I am not going to torque that thing or loosen that thing to no end! Trying to be gentle... I got rid of that top wrapping setup and the gold HW is actually pretty nice and shiny once I used some cleaner to remove the buildup on it. Has a nice tarnish on some parts as well. BTW, the Dunlop cleaner is real nice - doesn't leave a film or anything of the sort. It's good for very minor clean-up jobs as I was doing. Usually, I have a soft Gibson cloth I use to wipe it down from here on out. No need to keep applying cleaner needlessly. I tightened the tuning machine nuts and screws on the back - which were all pretty loose! Nonetheless, they work fine, no bends in the button stems and they hold a tune on all the strings. I have no reason to change anything about the guitar so far... I want to keep it as original as I can with it to be functional at all times.

I believe it needs a fret dressing though as there are definitely some high frets to address. Like I said it was played and it looks like it was played a lot, but still taken good enough care where sh1t isn't all messed up - i.e. finish, hardware, electronics. I get a buzz (fret-out) on higher frets (on the D string around the 12th fret neighborhood) and I'm not going to compensate by raising the bridge to skyscraper heights... You can almost tell with the naked eye that these higher frets weren't used as much (more Gibson square like) and the lower frets are nicely worn in (smooth and rounder). Oh well, it's a minor thing that should be easy to address since the truss rod works and no frets are becoming unseated and such. It definitely doesn't need a re-fret anywhere! Once this is finished, it should be ready for the gig!

Again, many thanks for the compliments! It will be a guitar that gets some loving so someone else one day can enjoy it once I turn into worm food. The Gem shall live on!

Archived