Gibson Brands Forums

Why not? new pickups day

Riffster

I am planning to make some changes to my Gibson Flying V and I actually already had a set of GFS Fat '59s which are great for hard rock and heavy metal but these set came up for sale locally, got them for $100.

I'd heard this name locally and when I looked at the specs of the pickups I figured I'd give a try, for the price just can't lose. The cap is included and since these are going on my V I only need one.

39041485001_3c2f751ca9_c.jpg

25169940118_5debf47163_c.jpg

25169940068_11455f9de1_c.jpg

Yea, I still wanted to keep a vintage sound to my V and this is a good middle of the road set.

They have alnico V magnets, I am sure they'll have some bite.

Not one day after I bought these I am reading an article about the Fender Custom Shop on Vintage Guitar Magazine and guess who wrote it? Vaughn Skow.

Being an electrician it is cool seeing the Induction value in Henry's. I guess guys (and girls) with E.E. degrees could tell you why it is an important value when you install pickups.

I heard when you're soldering your amp and you get jolted across the room and the wall starts on fire, those are the warning indicators built in to the amp just to let you know to bring it in to have it professionally serviced. Pretty cool feature, really.

Your supposed to unplug it and turn your amp off before soldering. Those little can looking things can knock your d-ick in the dirt too.

I left the back cover off the Fender Champ I made into a head, one day I was going to move it and grabbed it and happened to touch the circuit, oh boy, did that hurt, I got zapped hard, extremely lucky I did not into cardiac arrest.

Oh yea, when I work in amps I make sure the caps and overall voltage has drained out.

The Fender amp I mentioned did not have a handle and that's the reason I grabbed it the way I did to move it and that's when I touched something. I was grabbing something else with my right hand and the shock went right in my chest.

Swapping pickups is a much more relaxing activity.

I am planning to make some changes to my Gibson Flying V and I actually already had a set of GFS Fat '59s which are great for hard rock and heavy metal but these set came up for sale locally, got them for $100.

I'd heard this name locally and when I looked at the specs of the pickups I figured I'd give a try, for the price just can't lose. The cap is included and since these are going on my V I only need one.

39041485001_3c2f751ca9_c.jpg

25169940118_5debf47163_c.jpg

25169940068_11455f9de1_c.jpg

Interested in doing something with the other one?

Riffster,

What are you going to do with the other pup? I might be a player on it.

Sorry man i am using both pickups, my post talks about the capacitor in the pic, I only need one because my V has only one tone knob.

These pickups come with the caps that the guy that winds them recommends, the guy that sold them to me used the other one.

Archived