Gibson Brands Forums

J45 in the fold again

MorrisrownSal

Thanks to RBPicker,

I received his guitar today, and its fantastic. It has a great low end thump and growl on the lower strings, and I am lucky to own two fantastic slopes now!

Here is a picture I took after i removed the pickguard. I was going to replace it with one I have kept for two years in my cabinet... but I kind of think it looks good without a pickguard. Would that be sacrilege?

5PILCovl.jpg

Congs - no, these slopes look good without guards. I peeled the non-original off my 53'er and still like it a lot.

How does it compare with the 50'er (hope for A/B's) - and did you notice any sonic change after the top got clear.

Seems to be a black-nut Standard with tulips. More than splendid guitars. What year ?

Thx George,

EM... this Guitars is light as a feather- shockingly so.

I can't give a true AB right now, as my J50 has Martin Titanium Strings ... which are very Martin Retro like. Nickel like. This J45 seems to be sporting Gibson 80/20 Masterbilt Strings. I will put the same strings on them both at some point and AB them. Or maybe just AB them with the strings currently on them, which are both pretty new.

Right now both guitars do sound different enough; thank Strings.

Also, I did not notice any sonic change after taking off the guard, which was a very thin plastic guard..

This is perhaps a 2014 Guitar? So pre flubber. The guard appears to be an aftermarket guard that RB picker put on; it doesn't seem original. I'll post a picture of the guard tomorrow.

So glad you like the 45, Sal. Yeah, I forgot to mention how light it is. It was the lightest guitar I have ever owned. The pick guard was one of the Stew MAC or LMI plastic guards. However, the guitar did spend quite a bit of its life “guardless”. I like the look also. Wiping a little tear out of my eye just looking at it (really), but glad it has a good home. Looking forward to hearing it accompanying one of your cool performances.

As I recall, the strings are standard Martin lights in phosphor bronze. Check the Gibson info tucked the case pocket. I think it is a 2015 model.

Roger

Yes, congrats on getting a Gibson ‘burst back in the fold. It’s possible the “in” price was only part of the appeal; as BBG said, not exactly the deal of the century. . . and to make RB feel better that he didn’t ask too little, a fair price, and it not only puts more hours on some Saturday for you that you don’t have to do a tuner swap getting the Roto’s off of there, but the price included shipping, and from a known, fellow forumite, which is a plus that is going to be harder to come by, now with the Trading Post dismantled.

As far as the pickguard- either way is good, but on the more iconic models, it can be a big part of the personality of the guitar. And aside from your custom truss rod cover, it differentiates the guitar from the rest, as each ‘guard’s pattern is unique, like a thumbprint. If you want to go sans guard, but still play worry-free, I’ve had good results using one of the clear removable static cling guards to preserve the flora and fauna on the HB-Vintage.

A sure thing that RB will feel good knowing that he’ll be able to enjoy seeing and hearing the J-45 making music with you. Enjoy.

I can't give a true AB right now, as my J50 has Martin Titanium Strings ... which are very Martin Retro like. Nickel like. This J45 seems to be sporting Gibson 80/20 Masterbilt Strings. I will put the same strings on them both at some point and AB them. Or maybe just AB them with the strings currently on them, which are both pretty new.

If you choose to A/B before string-change, don't forget to set up another with identical steel later.

As we know it'll give the best result - besides we will be able to A/B the A/Bs. .

You're a proper nerd em!

. . . . . . . . . . . ... . . . . . . . . "Every alternative to nerdiness is averageism"

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The Acoustic Monk

Thanks guys. This was indeed the J45 on UMGF, FP, and it is good to have a burst back. Further up in this thread is the owner... RBPicker.

Truth be told I have been eyeing them for a while. An Eastman is not the same.only a Gibson is Good Enough. My Eastman E10ss was certainly a great guitar and a looker, but I have to think a full 20% heavier than this J45,

This J45 is in great shape, and the right way for me to get a burst back, in a way my wallet wanted.

I'll work on some AB this weekend...

Congrats on your purchase!

I love your description "It has a great low end thump and growl on the lower strings". Here's a novice question though - My concern in getting a Gibson (and doing far more looking than playing) was not getting that low end to go with the mids and clarity. In your experience, getting a J45 with this type of low end sound, is it common to the type of guitar, or is it more an exception in this case?

Thanks for any input.

billroy,

Gibsons are very consistent in terms of quality control - fit and finish. The new ones are even plekked for playability. However, guitars are organic - made of organic materials - and two identical models can certainly sound different. You take a chance when you order online (which I do a fair amount of time). Buying used takes the sting out, in case your acquisition, doesnt match the tone you are chasing....

Speaking of chasing tone - often a fools game. You are better off as a newbie getting a well made guitar and sticking with it and honing your playing skill. Guitars do open over time and improve. Too many of us here and on the interwebs "chase tone", and it makes manufacturers happy, but in the end its a fool's errand. For example, I had a Gibson Southern Jumbo TV a few years back that I had sold to fund an XXXX, which I sold to fund a Bird, which I sold to fund a YYY, which I .....

And here I am with a a few great guitars. I can afford it, and acknowledge the silliness; besides it distracts me in a fairly clean way from other bumps in life.

But... as a beginner or novice, saving for college and retirement and unexpecteds.... buy a nice J45 or Bird and just stick with it and play. Tone chasing is... sub-optimal. Not to be condescending and preach that I dont adhere to myself...

billroy,

Gibsons are very consistent in terms of quality control - fit and finish. The new ones are even plekked for playability. However, guitars are organic - made of organic materials - and two identical models can certainly sound different. You take a chance when you order online (which I do a fair amount of time). Buying used takes the sting out, in case your acquisition, doesnt match the tone you are chasing....

Speaking of chasing tone - often a fools game. You are better off as a newbie getting a well made guitar and sticking with it and honing your playing skill. Guitars do open over time and improve. Too many of us here and on the interwebs "chase tone", and it makes manufacturers happy, but in the end its a fool's errand. For example, I had a Gibson Southern Jumbo TV a few years back that I had sold to fund an XXXX, which I sold to fund a Bird, which I sold to fund a YYY, which I .....

And here I am with a a few great guitars. I can afford it, and acknowledge the silliness; besides it distracts me in a fairly clean way from other bumps in life.

But... as a beginner or novice, saving for college and retirement and unexpecteds.... buy a nice J45 or Bird and just stick with it and play. Tone chasing is... sub-optimal. Not to be condescending and preach that I dont adhere to myself...

quote]

Well Said !

Dang it fellers, all this burst talk and J45 chat sure makes it tough on a seller.

I wasn’t playing it that much, but every time I did, I thought “boy, this sure sounds good...why don’t I play it more”? As I aged, I became more comfortable with small body guitars, and after playing them a while, I started to appreciate their appeal tone-wise as well, and some I find to be as loud or louder than a big guitar. Maybe it’s guitar laziness, as I’m still active and energetic in other pursuits, but it just became easier and more comfortable to reach for a 000 than the J45.

Not sure where all this is going. I’m very glad I owned the J45, but I think Sal will make better use of it than I did. Glad it’s in the hands of a good guy, and someone who is as much of a guitar fanatic as I am.

Roger

Archived