Gibson Brands Forums

Malted Milk #2

BluesKing777

I was playing my Maton 808 through my vocal gadget and played for quite a while and pressed record on my version of Robert Johnson's "Malted Milk" to show the fabulous Maton AP5-Pro pickup system direct to my mixer. I have the pickup and internal mic flat out and the mids cut a bit, great to do this on the fly. Some famous Australians use this pickup because they think it is great live, including TE and Keith Urban and a host of others, but their stuff tends to go past way fast, so here is my slow blues to show the truth!

I was taking the guitar to the Blues Club to show it off in their awful PA, backfired because the Club is gone! Or they are hiding from me.... <_<

BluesKing777.

The blues club missed out, nice clip - thanks for sharing.

If it's been answered a billion times and a tedious question just ignore - but how do you go about doing these recordings? I'm trying to understand the simplest way to get a decent clip... beyond my iPhone.

The blues club missed out, nice clip - thanks for sharing.

If it's been answered a billion times and a tedious question just ignore - but how do you go about doing these recordings? I'm trying to understand the simplest way to get a decent clip... beyond my iPhone.

iPhone will work fine. Garageband to Soundcloud, boom you're done.

Thanks!

I am typing on my iPad at the moment, so can’t give links easily....

My recording is using my guitar with pickup and a mic straight into a relatively new contraption designed for acoustic guitarist/singers to use live on stage and get a few effects and the ability to mix the level of guitar vs singing, instead of relying on the soundpeople at a performance. So in theory, after practicing at home, setting various functions on the gadget, Boss VE-8, I can pack that in a bag, grab my guitar and mic and go to the gig, ask them nicely to plug my gadget into their nice PA, in stereo!, then sound, in their PA exactly like I did in the recording above! And hopefully avoid all the ‘test, test, test, screech, screech’ that goes on during your first song!

So the gadget, Boss VE8, is readily available at music shops, and I have been fiddling around with it for a while now, but I run the leads straight out the back of it into a little 4 channel mixer I have, adjust levels, listen a bit, then run another lead to my iMac computer and use the software that came with it - Garageband to record a file that I loaded to the internet.

Once set up, it is easier to do than talk about, that’s for sure! (I have used all kinds of electronic torture devices to record myself over the years, but I very pleased with the things that are available these days, crystal clear, fast, fairly easy, a fairly large amount of information to learn, not impossible though. A friend used to have a recording system thst looked like we were going time travelling when he recorded me once - things have miniturized a bit!

BluesKing777.

Oh, and who stole your club ?

I jest, Murph, thanks - the club I use to go to for many years moves around venues a lot, sometimes get a good crowd for jam nights but other nights are flops.....next venue coming up!. I don’t go much anymore as it is probably 1 1/2 hours there and back and they start early with the featured acts, then have the jam/open mic after. I have seen just about every slide player that has played there over the years. I always said it would be good if someone started one closer, they did, but I didn’t go! What’s the matter with me? And now it is gone. And the one I liked was at a famous bar, and It was great to play at, but now it is held at.........get this....a tennis club or something. Oh yeah, rock till you drop, baby!

(I do avoid bars a lot since I gave up smoking, very hard to not have one with drink in hand chatting to .....you know...the smoker crowd.and there is more of the smoker crowd there than here!) [rolleyes]

BluesKing777.

I jest, Murph,

(I do avoid bars a lot since I gave up smoking, very hard to not have one with drink in hand chatting to .....you know...the smoker crowd.and there is more of the smoker crowd there than here!) [rolleyes]

I hear ya, hell I quit drinking AND smoking and avoided bars for nearly 8 years, but actually played one last month with another clean/sober friend and we pulled it off just fine. I would be afraid to do it alone, but we've gigged together for well over 20 years.

Mostly sticking to non-alcohol, coffee shop type stuff for awhile while we tighten this up.

Thanks KC and Murph, for the replies...

The big surprise for me after all these years of toying around with getting an acoustic electrical’d, is that all I have to do is....gulp....plug in to the amp, mixer or PA direct, no other boxes unless of course I want them and I do like a gadget!

Some other guitar makers should take note and lift there game of standard pickup offerings in this day and age.....

A big catch is the barn door controls in the side of the guitar, but there is always something...plus having a comprehensive set of controls.....pickup, mic, vol, bass, treble, sweepable mids at your fingertips is pretty convenient.

Now my 93 Lowden S35 has an undersaddle pickup from........ 1993? And it is horrid, with a classic ‘ ploink ‘ sound on the B string! So there is a bit of a saying where if you need the best live acoustic guitar pickup system, the catch is you have to buy a Maton! Cruel and unfair, my guitar was redesigned with scalloped braces and all kinds of things to improve the model quite a few years back. Lots of them at venues in Australia! (And Cole Clarks with their 3 way pickup, not tried one...lookout!)

Edit: PS, I meant to say how much I am enjoying the different acoustic sounds of Tasmanian Blackwood back and sides with Cedar tops on my Maton 808 and my 93 Lowden S35 and hey, they sound like guitars! While I still enjoy mahogany and rosewood, I think I can live without them...the future looks grim for those woods, so we may all have to adjust. I am not sure how much Blackwood we have here, but I imagine it is the same as alll trees...once cut down too much = gone. But my point is that guitars made out different materials still sound like.....acoustic guitars!

BluesKing777.

Thanks!

Ha, my version of the song is probably what we could call ‘loosely based on the general idea of it’, more than a copy (impossible).....to show the sound of the guitar pickup system in a song, as such!

I too have known the original for a long time - one of those WTF moments when another guitarist put the record on while sitting around and said: ‘You heard this?’

So it is back in there somewhere...and why I played my version, which is a moving and changing object, without thinking too much about structure, again, to show the pickup....and I even made a few clangers but wasnn’t concerned because I just knew nobody would concentrate on that, but on the recorded direct pickup sound. [rolleyes] [rolleyes] [rolleyes]

So no comments on the sound? I know there are guitarists here interested in pickups! Of course, the recordings sound zip like if you are playing through an amp....

BluesKing777.

Some photos of the Maton SRS808 - I haven't been able to take any of my 'leaning on the outside bench' shots because of ...training the new guard dog, who can get from the garage and along the path with the bench in an alarming .002 seconds flat....and if she was a horse about to race, my money would be on her.... [biggrin]

So first photos for a while:

AnYayukh.jpg

jrb6HqWh.jpg

cWhxfEEh.jpg

L7WBaaFh.jpg

GhE4D8Bh.jpg

more to come....

A few more photos of the Maton:

UIP2AOCh.jpg

6cRsjyFh.jpg

The famous pickup preamp in the side:

9DkepwQh.jpg

And the Rotos, which are the best Rotos I have had, for some reason...maybe I need to re-adjust some of the old guitar's tuning pegs...

QuKOOMNh.jpg

And if they would turn their pool filter pump off right behind the fence in the photo, I would sit out under my new umbrella (gift) and have a strum! [biggrin]

RF4b5NVh.jpg

BluesKing777.

Oh why, oh why, did I play this Maton Custom Shop 808 at the shop?

Wow!

https://maton.com.au/product/w.a.-may-custom

https://www.acousticcentre.com.au/products/maton-custom-shop-wa-may-808-acoustic-guitar

Apart from sounding sensational, it has the Maton APR-Pro pickup as well!

And it would look superb with my (flamed) Tasmanian Blackwood Lowden!

My Lowden:

LKjqTi8h.jpg

7RM8Ko9h.jpg

BluesKing777.

I hear ya!

I suppose it is a Custom Shop Maton, so you could probably order the guitar without the pickup system, but most people here seem to want it and you get used to seeing it.

Now the Cargill guitar of Geoff Achison in the Boss AD10 video has the Anthem Pro installed with the preamp in the side, if you look at the video closely at the first section - I wanted the standard Anthem installed in my Cargill, but there is a rib in the way of 2 parts of the area where the preamp controls go.....so no, I couldn't have it but was asked if I want the Pro version.... No! But you know, if you are playing everywhere, well......

BluesKing777.

So, in the interests of science, I looked up 'brain juice' on the Tool and came up with this:

https://brainjuice.me/the-science/

Never heard of it before and I doubt Murph meant that? [flapper]:rolleyes:

So if you are inferring that I 'abuse substances' before I record, well I state that I may have puffed but not inhaled when I was at school but have not seen or heard any since.

And sitting next to me on the desk as I recorded the track above was....shock, horror...oh what an old guy I am now [unsure] ....... yep, sitting on my desk and sipped as I set up and practice was...ha ha..a cup of tea! Sad, isn't it? :mellow:

BluesKing777.

Archived