Gibson Brands Forums

What's happening???

weeladdie

That's perfectly normal... gicing the word "normal" a lot of latitude (is that the correct term?).

Most guitars experience that after a long time but some show it after a year of them being made... it's just how the finish dries out around the logo, I think studios, that have the logo painted, dont have that problem (I havent noticed that in mine, but my std. faded shows some if you look really close and with a magnifying glass).

Some 30 year old guitars dont have that... but they will...

Same thing is happening on my 2001 Classic Plus.

logo.jpg

It has to do with the fact that there are four different materials interacting, and each one reacts differently to changes in temperature and humidity. You have the face of the headstock, the pearl inlay, the filler used to fill the small gap around the logo, and then the lacquer over top.

Same thing is happening on my 2001 Classic Plus.

logo.jpg

It has to do with the fact that there are four different materials interacting' date=' and each one reacts differently to changes in temperature and humidity. You have the face of the headstock, the pearl inlay, the filler used to fill the small gap around the logo, and then the lacquer over top.[/quote']

+1 What GJ said. Btw, I think those gold keystone tuners coupled with the slight distress of the headstock look like one mean motorscooter on your guitar. Got any pics of the rest of that beauty?

Strange things happening to the Gibby logo on my LP.

AFAIK it is a legit Gibson' date=' but I'm wondering if this is a common problem?

[img']http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q98/weeladdie2007/IMGP0738_800x532.jpg[/img]

It's caused by the wood around the inlay constantly expanding and contracting due to the changes in the temperature, the inlay is basically being pushed out of the wood. I had the same problem with a fingerboard inlay on my Gibson S-900, until one day it finally fell out, but with a little super glue it was as good as new!

Archived