Gibson Brands Forums

J35, J45 Koa, Maple AJ sound comparison

bassetman

Good question, they seem to all sound similar in a way except for the last that could either be the AJ/45?

Nice sounding the three, a bit on the bright side. New strings? Haven't warmed up yet.

Peace!

more likely that i have no idea how to get a decent recording ...but im working on it. ;) these are all three bright guitars, its how i like them, but this is just plugging in the mic and record. Shure mv5.

J35>J45>AJ...to my ears anyway!

All sound great, the last in the chain is my favourite though. Sounds bigger, which to my ears connotes longer scale and forward shifted bracing.

The middle guitar is definitely the J45...if I’m wrong, I’ll eat my hat!

The first sounds good but quieter and brighter than the last two. Less of the midrange of the middle guitar or punch of the third.

All sound great, the last in the chain is my favourite though. Sounds bigger, which to my ears connotes longer scale and forward shifted bracing.

The first sounds good but quieter and brighter than the last two. Less of the midrange of the middle guitar or punch of the third.

you got it.

Ok, so maybe you do have the ears of a bat.

Congrats, indeed- those are some bright guitars. . . but now that you've named them, it is kinda possible to hear the J-45 through the koa and the steel. Speaking of the strings, what are they, and did they just get put on there?

Thanks to Bassetman for putting that together- and yes, a difference can be heard.

That Maple AJ is a freaking KEEPER isn’t it? Wonderful tone!

It has only about 125 hours on it . It gets sweeter everyday. It takes no effort to play. The challenge in that recording was trying to get the three to play at roughly the same volume. The 35 was strummed naturally. The 45 slightly hard and the AJ as lightly as I could. The AJ has solidly put me in the “anti social” guitarist category as the sherrif has been out twice now. It’s sound carries so well it’s freaky.

When I figger how to make a true sound recording I will try a better sample of its range.

Archived