Gibson Brands Forums

Ailments

pappy

I just turned 67, Pearl Harbor Day ,for those that do not know, 12/07/1950, the anniversaryof the day not my actual date of bitrth, that would make me too old.

Now for those of you suffering withvarious ailments, I sincerely wish you total recovery. I have been under anesthesia 4 times this past year, and I honestly can say that it has messed with my head. Seems like when they put you under and you come back out it is as if you have lost some portion of time, something that seems to haunt me , and not knowing is what really plays with my head. I have lost a few days due to hospital stays, and surgeries.

And i do just buy and rotate my guitars so that when the wife comes into my office, she does not always pick out the new guitar. Once in a while she will ask, and then I will say why no, I just moved this one onto the stand, maybe that is why you do not recognise it. But , alas, she is smarter than that, and just gives me the LOOK!

Played tonight for about an hour, wow how much I have missed this.

Thanks to all of you for the warm greetings, and I hope to get to know the new folks here on the forum. Again I missed the banter here, and will make every effort to pop in and contribute.

Question:::::::: Anyone familiar with the SG with the auto tune? I am looking at one but I knkow nothing about that tuning device, and it seems to me so unnecessary, and just a gimmick to F---- up on you.

I remember your user name, but can't remember if we ever talked (I joined four years ago... -ish). Good to hear you're doing better, all the same!

Hoping my arm trouble clears up soon. It's early warning signs, so I think I'll be fine soon enough (I've always done proper stretching exercises and all that). Keeping from playing is SO hard, so I can imagine your... elation,I guess!

The Gibson and Epi forums have remained my favorite places for guitar info on the net. You have a lot of posts to catch up on!

hey Pappy.

I hear ya re the Anesthesia. I had a colonoscopy Tuesday, it took me like a full day to get back on my game.

About the auto tune,, there's a few different versions, but the reviews are mixed,, some ppl like it, some ppl don't. They can be removed and replaced with a traditional set of machine heads. How you like or dislike is really something you'd need to discover for yourself.

as for unnecessary, to each their own.

I just see it as another option to maybe take some of the work out of playing. I've been playing for about 50 years now. So to me tuning up, and staying in tune, is just part of the ride. I don't think I'd buy a guitar with that option in mind but if I had one with it, and it worked really good, I would probably use it. if it didn't work reliable, and proved to be a problem, but I liked the guitar, I'd just replace with a regular set of machine heads.

Ha! Twenty years ago, I had a colonoscopyand everything else, and didn't get as much as a how do you do!

I've had more pleasant experiences. I actually DID get some drugs, but afterwards. Someone messed up.

Which would explain why my chart says, "patient spent the overnight stay singing Thin Lizzy songs in a most undignified manner."

prepping for my colonoscopy was much worse than the procedure itself. I don't recall anything about the procedure. I was out. I was concerned about what I might babble on about as I woke up, with my wife sitting there. apparently I was a good boy. Dr. said everything checked out fine, I'm a complete a$$hole.

I had a proctoscopy (is that a word?) the other year. And you get to sit in a gyno chair and given a paper gown to cover your bits. I went, nah, I'm fine - I'm not easily embarrassed, and it's a whopper, innit?

It was months before I realized, maybe the gown was for THEIR benefit :D

Glad you are feeling better pappy and are able to play guitar. From what I've read here people have gotten more used to the auto-tuner systems, and find them particularly helpful if they play in alternate tunings. Just press a button and within a few seconds your in drop D or whatever.

I too would agree with you about anesthesia. I had open heart surgery about 12 years ago and I was out for well over 6 hours (as well as a few other shorter times pre and post surgery). I was a salesman at the time and did a lot of work over the phone. I noticed that I did not react as quickly as I had before the surgery. Someone would come up with an objection to my sales pitch and it wouldn't be until after we'd hung up the phone that I would realize how I could have easily overcome that objection. I find to this day that I still have the cognitive function, but it just takes me a little longer to think about things before coming to a solution. Of course that may be a function of aging as well, but it was certainly noticeable shortly after the surgery.

prepping for my colonoscopy was much worse than the procedure itself. I don't recall anything about the procedure. I was out. I was concerned about what I might babble on about as I woke up, with my wife sitting there. apparently I was a good boy. Dr. said everything checked out fine, I'm a complete a$$hole.

the prep is horrid. magnesium s-h-i-t-rate... Oy!

Hi Pappy.

I would recommend not letting the Auto tune (mini-tune / G-Force) put you off if everything else is ok.

I tried a whole shedload of guitars in 2015 with G-Force in shops. I didnt like them for a couple of reasons. Most of the time it was simply the way other players had been fiddling with 'em. They were left in drop tunings half the time.

I did buy one though. The only problem was the brass nut, which I replaced with the gratis titanium one.

I decided to give the G-Force fair chance. So far its been excellent for 2 years.

Not only has it never given me any trouble, its easy to use, fast and accurate. The battery lasts for months before needing a recharge. So far so good.

I have the impression that most detractors have not given it a fair chance.

Ha! Twenty years ago, I had a colonoscopyand everything else, and didn't get as much as a how do you do!

I've had more pleasant experiences. I actually DID get some drugs, but afterwards. Someone messed up.

Which would explain why my chart says, "patient spent the overnight stay singing Thin Lizzy songs in a most undignified manner."

Absolutely love this!

Archived