Gibson Brands Forums

People who get bent out of shape over the term “vintage”

Allenjason95

Vintage is a modern term to get the public to pay more for something. Things in general are made better today than they ever were. Don't tell me that hide glue sounds better than a modern glue. It's bull*hit. Victorian terraced houses like those in London that are £10m were built on an ash base. No real foundations. They'd be banned now.

Back to guitars. The 58-9-0 is a period that people like. The guitars aren't really better than others. All of this rubbish about better wood and being made better is stupid. I bet a good traditional from the USA range if made with care is a better guitar than the old ones.Better Get one and play it for 60 years and see what you think then. If you really want a good guitar that will play better, learn to play better because a good player makes any old thing sound good. It's all in the mind. When I see posts on Facebook about buying a Les Paul and then putting new pickups in I think it's ridiculous. I used to ride motorbikes and people would buy a nes GSXR 100 and put expensive rearsets on to save weight, when they were 17 stone. Lose weight is the answer. In guitars it's learn to play better. Full stop. Almost all of the great guitar sounds that people love were on a basic guitar through an amp with one or two basic pedals. Think about it.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somewhat related story....

I have boxes and boxes of old, antique items I got when my father passed away. I list them on eBay here and there and make a few bucks when I can. A few years ago I listed some old item, can't remember exactly what. In the listing I described it as "old" and even joked "notice I didn't say vintage". Some dude ended up buying it and sent me a message saying the only reason he bought it was because I said it wan't vintage. msp_biggrin.gif

For me it seems odd to describe any guitar as vintage. Ive had old guitars. Some were good; others cr@p. I dont mind anyone using the term, but I wouldnt use it myself because I see it as a superfluous description.

It suits wine & cars better. Probably because they are usually much older.

And whatever you do don't say anything like "vintage Gibby". That would be just too much.

No, it just makes you sound like a little kid.

(Seeing as how you must be part of the sewing circle I hope you’re getting all this down for the expose. Farns head injury seems to be affecting his falculties a bit.)

Well this is possibly the weirdest thread I've seen on here. It begins with a discussion on the term 'vintage', then heads into bizarre/ dark territory that somewhat reminds me of one of those TV movies which would have a title like 'The online forum massacre' [laugh]

Guest Farnsbarns

So, just to recap...

The word vintage does imply quality or merit not found in similar items of other years but you still mustn't abbreviate anything, except pickups to pups, I think that's still allowed, right, although it might annoy sparkie.

Now, this is vintage :)

1958 Gibson Les Paul “SG” Special or Jr. or whatever guitar with a 1957 Gibson Ranger GA - 20T Tweed amplifier

I think it was a mid-1958 Gibson Les Paul Special double cutaway. I bought it in 1958 anyway and my age makes it hard to remember.

post-35435-061417700 1513528292_thumb.jpg

I just laugh at the rep thing. I'll never understand why you idiots follow people around downvoting them lol.

Let me know how that works out for you.

Jason, I have to ask this question. It may be offensive but it is not intended to be. Have you ever been diagnosed with a neurological condition? If so, I will start insisting that some of the folks, including myself to back off on you. The stuff that's been going on in this forum is just so far off the wall...

Archived