Gibson Brands Forums

People who get bent out of shape over the term “vintage”

Allenjason95

And you guys though I was a nut. Mr.95 is a Paranoid Bipolar Schizophrenic with Delusions Of Grandeur. When you think people are staking you on a guitar forum and think they are saving your posts to use later to "expose" you dude, you are in real need of some sort of professional help.We all joke around jab each other on this forum quite a but, but you sir a unique animal.

I think you known me long enough to know how I feel about folks with disabilities, I'm a bit of an advocate. msp_biggrin.gif HOWEVER, when it comes to a$$holes...

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude people respond to posts on forums it is what a forum is. I really think you like the abuse, and get off on it, so yo can go on another tirade. I do like responding to your posts, they are always entertaining and informative and borderline psychotic. We are all getting a good laugh since your joined and brightened up our days here on the forum.

Sure thing. And sometimes people follow other people around because they “like messing with them”, like you for instance.

I mean Farns up there was just talking about PMs you knuckleheads have about me so a little late for denial now.

Be sure to report all this to him, so he can “expose” me lol. I love how he says he’s “documenting” everything I say so he can “expose” me but you’re acting like me laughing at you lunatics is crazy.

Back to the original post, I've never seen nor heard anyone getting "bent out of shape" over the term vintage. The item either is or it isn't and it's subjective to the seller and/or buyer. I've usually heard it described as early models of guitars, such as pre WWII Martins and Gibsons, 50's Gibsons, particularly Les Pauls and pre-CBS Fenders. Some people also like 60's Silvertones but the ones I've played weren't all that good. They're thought to be better than newer versions, more rare and sought out by players and collectors. A nice playing guitar is a nice playing guitar to me, whether it's 6 months old or 60 years. I played a 1960's Martin on one of our recordings in the band and it sounded great but the neck was bowed and the action was miserable. It might be vintage and collectable but it's not one I'd want to play again. My boss has a 1905 parlor guitar that his grandmother's nanny used to play. It's cool that it's so old and still moderately playable and even though it should be vintage, it's not highly desired and not real collectable, except for a certain market.

My oldest guitar is a 1981 Gibson "The V" and ones like it online are selling for about 4 times what I paid for mine. It's a great guitar and I'll never sell it and I've had it since 1984. Some might call it vintage, some might not and I really don't care one way or the other. They can call it "chicken soup" if they want to and if the general populace agrees by a significant majority to call it that, then that's what it might be called. I've never heard anyone getting bent out of shape over what something's called though. I wonder if the OP can provide a reference to someone getting "bent out of shape over the term vintage" because I just haven't seen it or heard it.

Sometimes somethings in a persons life seem so critical and important, they take issue with, completely take it to heart and dig in their heals and won't let it go. then down the road when life throws you the inevitable curve ball you realize how insignificant & trivial the things you use to dwell & obsess about were.

Allen, you either have absolutely no real problems in your life right now (and if thats the case, thats great. I hope it stays that way for you), or this whole thing is a game for you, kicking up dust & jerking peoples chains.

Thats all I got ...

Sometimes somethings in a persons life seem so critical and important, they take issue with, completely take it to heart and dig in their heals and won't let it go. then down the road when life throws you the inevitable curve ball you realize how insignificant & trivial the things you use to dwell & obsess about were.

Allen, you either have absolutely no real problems in your life right now (and if thats the case, thats great. I hope it stays that way for you), or this whole thing is a game for you, kicking up dust & jerking peoples chains.

Thats all I got ...

No, I take what happens here deadly seriously. Don’t you?

I'm always amazed at how many people are just experiencing this now. This was pretty easy to find in the olden days of usenet, this guy could easily pass as Polfus in the old rmmg, 20 plus years ago. Takes one time around to get his schtick, but people just can't help themselves and they just keep at it.

Like that plant yer mom gave you last year. Ignore it, it'll wither and die, and you won't have to take care of it anymore.

rct

I'm always amazed at how many people are just experiencing this now. This was pretty easy to find in the olden days of usenet, this guy could easily pass as Polfus in the old rmmg, 20 plus years ago. Takes one time around to get his schtick, but people just can't help themselves and they just keep at it.

Like that plant yer mom gave you last year. Ignore it, it'll wither and die, and you won't have to take care of it anymore.

rct

But then how would they “expose” me?

Back to the original post, I've never seen nor heard anyone getting "bent out of shape" over the term vintage. The item either is or it isn't and it's subjective to the seller and/or buyer. I've usually heard it described as early models of guitars, such as pre WWII Martins and Gibsons, 50's Gibsons, particularly Les Pauls and pre-CBS Fenders. Some people also like 60's Silvertones but the ones I've played weren't all that good. They're thought to be better than newer versions, more rare and sought out by players and collectors. A nice playing guitar is a nice playing guitar to me, whether it's 6 months old or 60 years. I played a 1960's Martin on one of our recordings in the band and it sounded great but the neck was bowed and the action was miserable. It might be vintage and collectable but it's not one I'd want to play again. My boss has a 1905 parlor guitar that his grandmother's nanny used to play. It's cool that it's so old and still moderately playable and even though it should be vintage, it's not highly desired and not real collectable, except for a certain market.

My oldest guitar is a 1981 Gibson "The V" and ones like it online are selling for about 4 times what I paid for mine. It's a great guitar and I'll never sell it and I've had it since 1984. Some might call it vintage, some might not and I really don't care one way or the other. They can call it "chicken soup" if they want to and if the general populace agrees by a significant majority to call it that, then that's what it might be called. I've never heard anyone getting bent out of shape over what something's called though. I wonder if the OP can provide a reference to someone getting "bent out of shape over the term vintage" because I just haven't seen it or heard it.

You're not going to get an answer.

You're not going to get an answer.

Doesn't matter. I just haven't seen it or heard it. I just remember for a while, in the 80's, that certain people were going around collecting Silvertone guitars. I thought they were terrible so I didn't get it but if they wanted to spend their money on those things they consider collectable, it was ok with me. I also didn't care what they called them.

Guest Farnsbarns

Just to be clear.... Poor old ally-jassy gets the stalking thing from when he threatoned me with violence. He edited his post so I informed him that I'd screen printed it all just in case. That's what he's referring to when he talks about stalking. He likes to pretend he believes I said I'm documenting everything he says because that fits his psych needs.

As far as minusing his posts goes, he doesn't seem to realise that the majority of the minuses are because his posts are worthy of it but there are a few instances where people have minused perfectly reasonable posts he has made. It doesn't matter though, He doesn't care about his reputation.

Actually, he dislikes the forum, and the people and many of the consensuses. One has to wonder why he comes back but that's his choice.

Doesn't matter. I just haven't seen it or heard it. I just remember for a while, in the 80's, that certain people were going around collecting Silvertone guitars. I thought they were terrible so I didn't get it but if they wanted to spend their money on those things they consider collectable, it was ok with me. I also didn't care what they called them.

The closest thing to chicken soup is my 1994 Jazz Bass, the older guitars I had ended up beings sold or pawned.

I would love to have a Vintage Ventures Mosrite guitar. I've been looking at them for some time. The original 60's in good or excellent shape come with higher prices I can't afford and the cheap Japanese remakes are cheaper but it's not an original nor have the Ventures logo on the headstock.

If the Allenjason vs Farnsbarns battle keeps going it could eventually be classed as 'vintage' which would be very appropriate for this thread.

Imagine in 2058 when the Gibson lounge veterans talk of 'the year of the great rift'... Aye, 'twas an ugly business, stuff of legend that only a few of us bore witness to, but they kept the thread going until they both grew old and the good lord took them, never giving in and fighting until the end. They showed grit, true grit.

(Hmm, I think I may have watched too many films [biggrin] )

I would love to have a Vintage Ventures Mosrite guitar. I've been looking at them for some time. The original 60's in good or excellent shape come with higher prices I can't afford and the cheap Japanese remakes are cheaper but it's not an original nor have the Ventures logo on the headstock.

Those old Mosrite guitars do look very interesting. Have you ever tried one? There used to be a guitar shop 45 minutes from where I live which stocked some unusual vintage instruments and they had some Mosrites there. Sadly I never tried one, but wish I had now. I'd like to try a double neck one like the one Joe Maphis used.

If the Allenjason vs Farnsbarns battle keeps going it could eventually be classed as 'vintage' which would be very appropriate for this thread.

Imagine in 2058 when the Gibson lounge veterans talk of 'the year of the great rift'... Aye, 'twas an ugly business, stuff of legend that only a few of us bore witness to, but they kept the thread going until they both grew old and the good lord took them, never giving in and fighting until the end. They showed grit, true grit.

"That was him. That was Wilson all right, and he was fast, fast on the draw"

I watch a lot of movies too. I periodically quote my favorite ones. the above quote is from one of my all time favorites. named one of my kids after the movie even.

A nice playing guitar is a nice playing guitar to me, whether it's 6 months old or 60 years

Funny you should mention that. I'll sometimes play out with the first guitar I was ever bought an argos eleca branded strat copy. I get a lot of strange looks but to be honest it plays and sounds great. If ever I have spare parts lying around that fit then I'll put them on my guitars if I feel it would improve something. By now it has new tuners, nut, bridge, bridge saddles and SD antiquity pickups. I wouldn't have bought any of it specifically for the guitar but now they're fitted I absolutely love playing it again. It spent about 10 years in a case unplayed at my parents house before I did the mods.

Guest Farnsbarns

I haven't actually disputed anything he's said in this thread. He's arguing with himself.

Funny you should mention that. I'll sometimes play out with the first guitar I was ever bought an argos eleca branded strat copy. I get a lot of strange looks but to be honest it plays and sounds great. If ever I have spare parts lying around that fit then I'll put them on my guitars if I feel it would improve something. By now it has new tuners, nut, bridge, bridge saddles and SD antiquity pickups. I wouldn't have bought any of it specifically for the guitar but now they're fitted I absolutely love playing it again. It spent about 10 years in a case unplayed at my parents house before I did the mods.

I played a Dixon Flying V that I got in 1983 for a long time. It and my Gibson V were my main guitars. The Dixon had a Kahler locking whammy, DiMarzio pickups, brass nut, neck and fret work done and it plays and sounds every bit as good as my Gibsons. I still play it in rotation and I don't care about the looks or comments. I can play it. It would be considered "vintage" or "chicken soup" because it was used when I bought it. It's not necessarily desirable, except by me, nor collectable. But, it's a good player and it's old. The main difference is that it has a very beefy neck and 21 frets, more of a Fender style neck. But, it works just fine for me.

I was 14 as the 80s ended, but Holly **** the 90s!

lol. I was 14 in 1974. the fun actually started in '72. so the 70's & the 80's were an adventure. the 90's started off pretty crazy too. April 16th of 2018, will be my 24th anniversary of becoming drug free.

I watch a lot of movies too. I periodically quote my favorite ones. the above quote is from one of my all time favorites. named one of my kids after the movie even.

Yep, movie quotes are always fun. Mine was more of an amalgamation of various movie inspired sources to add atmosphere and dramatic effect to the thread [smile]

Quote wise, I still love this one even though it's probably one of the most well known classics, but obviously there any many great ones from lesser known films...

"Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow your head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

Guest Farnsbarns

One of your children is called The Karate Kidd II? That's a bit mean.

Archived