Gibson Brands Forums

People who get bent out of shape over the term “vintage”

Allenjason95

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1513613794[/url]' post='1901514']

Those old Mosrite guitars do look very interesting. Have you ever tried one? There used to be a guitar shop 45 minutes from where I live which stocked some unusual vintage instruments and they had some Mosrites there. Sadly I never tried one, but wish I had now. I'd like to try a double neck one like the one Joe Maphis used.

Sadly no, I've never seen one up close. I was into the Ventures big time as a teen and wish I would have bought one. When I picked up playing guitar again at 60, that's the first songs I started learning again. Walk Don't Run, Pipeline...I've found a few in good shape with dings and such and the frets half worn I could afford but the best ones they want $6 grand or more for. I might have to pull some cash from my 401-K next year and get one for 4-5 grand. Boy, wouldn't the wife like that? Might have to sleep on the couch for a month till she built a bridge and got over it. Lolmsp_flapper.gif

1513614258[/url]' post='1901519']

"That was him. That was Wilson all right, and he was fast, fast on the draw"

I watch a lot of movies too. I periodically quote my favorite ones. the above quote is from one of my all time favorites. named one of my kids after the movie even.

Shane, come back, come back! I love that "Vintage" movie, I have the DVD. I'm a Western movie addict. I can quote many Western script lines, especially the John Wayne movies. msp_thumbup.gif

Shane, come back, come back! I love that "Vintage" movie, I have the DVD. I'm a Western movie addict. I can quote many Western script lines, especially the John Wayne movies. msp_thumbup.gif

Same here. I have the DVD also. I was hoping for a Shane. Got a Shaina. Lol. One of my favorite John Wayne movies is El Dorado. I can watch that every week.

Sadly no, I've never seen one up close. I was into the Ventures big time as a teen and wish I would have bought one. When I picked up playing guitar again at 60, that's the first songs I started learning again. Walk Don't Run, Pipeline...I've found a few in good shape with dings and such and the frets half worn I could afford but the best ones they want $6 grand or more for. I might have to pull some cash from my 401-K next year and get one for 4-5 grand. Boy, wouldn't the wife like that? Might have to sleep on the couch for a month till she built a bridge and got over it. Lolmsp_flapper.gif

I’ve always though Mosrites looked lame. Before Johnny Ramone they were dirt cheap from what I’ve read, I think he bought his first one for $50 bucks and one of the reasons he stuck with it was because no one else played them.

Now original “vintage” Mosrites go for thousands and I’ve read they aren’t particularly well made guitars.

1513644154[/url]' post='1901659']

I’ve always though Mosrites looked lame. Before Johnny Ramone they were dirt cheap from what I’ve read, I think he bought his first one for $50 bucks and one of the reasons he stuck with it was because no one else played them.

Now original “vintage” Mosrites go for thousands and I’ve read they aren’t particularly well made guitars.

They have a unique tone I love but I'll probably never get one. There's many guitars I'd love to get yet but the wife thinks I have enough for some reason? Only have 6 so don't know why she thinks that? msp_confused.gif So I have the next thing instead, a vintage, modified Jaguar she got me a couple years back. I love it and get the tone I'm after with it. I can't complain and she's a great wife. I only bought 2 guitars and she bought me the rest.

I thought music in the 80's sucked to. Until... GRUNGE

Without 80's classic rock I probably wouldn't have ended up playing guitar. The first album that had any impact on me was "the best of air guitar album in the world...ever" which was a compilation album full of cheesy 80's rock tunes. I distinctly remember playing pass the parcel at my 11th birthday to duran duran... unsure.gif

Without 80's classic rock I probably wouldn't have ended up playing guitar. The first album that had any impact on me was "the best of air guitar album in the world...ever" which was a compilation album full of cheesy 80's rock tunes. I distinctly remember playing pass the parcel at my 11th birthday to duran duran... unsure.gif

Well, for my era, it was early Kiss and Led Zep that got me to pick up the guitar, oh did I get smacked up side the head. We have to start somewhere.

Well, for my era, it was early Kiss and Led Zep that got me to pick up the guitar, oh did I get smacked up side the head. We have to start somewhere.

All of that came after for me. Luckily my fathers favourite band is the who so I was in safe hands

I had a real hard time with the hair bands. Touchy subject I know, just could'nt get past it.

Fair enough but...

R.E.M

The Replacements

Husker Du

Sonic Youth

The Cult

The Pretenders

The Police

U2 [unsure]

Plus...

Priest, Maiden, Metallica, NWOBHM!

C'mon man. That's all good stuff...

And don't forget SRV. [thumbup]

I had a real hard time with the hair bands. Touchy subject I know, just could'nt get past it.

I was in a "hair band" so to speak. Of course, we didn't call it that then but we all had long hair and fairly big hair too. As in any era, there were some good bands and music and some that were just meh. The thing I liked about 80's and earlier music is that there was a lot less rap. I'd rather hear the worst hair band than the "best" rapper.

U2 [unsure]

Had to laugh at that one. I did dig there early stuff.

SRV still lives!!! I saw him is 1986 by accident while I was in the Air Force for training in Wichita Falls Texas, A couple of buddies filled up a cooler of beer grabbed a boom box and went to the part to chill. There happened to be a band playing to a modest crowd near the end of the park. Went over and sat in the grass to have a listen and damn if if it wasn't Stevie!! Needless to say we were blown away.

You can't spell C-rap with rap.

All I'm gonna say is I don't get it. A guy (or girl) rhyming to a back beat. That's a musical genera? I understand wanting to do a drive by, cause after hearing that garbage I am pissed off too.

I don't consider it music either. It's certainly rhythmic and poetic. But, since I rarely listen to the words and mostly listen to music and melody, rap does nothing for me but irritate me. Music is like candy. It's all pretty good once you remove the (w)rappers.

Maybe they got a notice when he got to -500 rating. Being misunderstood is one thing. Being in a bad mood or saying something not so nice is another. But, -500 rating? That takes some real doing. I'll never understand why people expend so much energy being rude or mean to others. It's either a mental issue or the person is a jerk doing it for fun. It was almost as bad as dealing with my ex-wife! I'm probably lying about that too.

Archived