Gibson Brands Forums

Great Performances

JayinLA

How about the Bad Plus on Jools Holland (UK late night music show). At the time they were relatively unknown here in the UK...mind you, they are still not widely known among anyone except jazz fans and music nerds like myself. No guitars, but incredible musicianship and they made the rest of the guests look like amateur musicians on that broadcast.

I honestly did see:

Led Zeppelin live at Bath Festival June 28 1969, day before my 15th birthday. And:

Free live at Angel Hotel Gin Mill Club Godalming, on the day/evening man landed on the Moon. July 21 or 22 1969 I think.

The Who, The Nice, Dylan and many more at the Isle Of Wight Festival, August 1969.

Summer '69 was when I started to see bands. Incredible time.

I finally saw Jimi at the IOW 1970; definitely NOT a great performance for him, but the recording reveals some awesome playing.

Edited by jdgm

Allman Brothers Band One Way Out at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 1995.

Great song. Slightly different version. Bass player seems to be having more fun than permitted.

Dickie Betts is really on his game.

Oh fux yes he is hot. That was some good Allmans years right there. Allen was something else.

rct

Not a lot of well recorded, high quality videos of these guys anymore.

WARNING: These men bend notes. Your automagical adjusta bridge will not be happy. I am though!

rct

Ahhhh... It's a good when when you have Huey and Billy with your coffee! Never got to see them live. Pity. I did see the Henry Paul Band... meh.

Guns N Roses At the Ritz 1988

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOLhYzy0jd0

Yeah. I wish I could say it was me, but my good friend saw both GNR and The Black Crowes around the same time period at Hammerjacks in Baltimore.

I have to settle for seeing KIX, Crack The Sky, Johnny Winter, Jack Bruce/Ginger Baker and many others at the same venue. msp_cool.gif

Yeah. I wish I could say it was me, but my good friend saw both GNR and The Black Crowes around the same time period at Hammerjacks in Baltimore.

I have to settle for seeing KIX, Crack The Sky, Johnny Winter, Jack Bruce/Ginger Baker and many others at the same venue. msp_cool.gif

Hammerjacks was the bzomb.

rct

Guns N Roses At the Ritz 1988

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOLhYzy0jd0

One of the best and the band that got me into music as a kid. I've had this concert on bootleg DVD for years. It's back when Slash's top hat was not permanently glued to his head [biggrin] A lot of younger people don't know Slash didn't always wear shades and a hat oddly. It would have been great to see what albums they would have produced in the mid to late 90's if Izzy, Slash and Duff hadn't have left.

One of the best and the band that got me into music as a kid. I've had this concert on bootleg DVD for years. It's back when Slash's top hat was not permanently glued to his head [biggrin] A lot of younger people don't know Slash didn't always wear shades and a hat oddly. It would have been great to see what albums they would have produced in the mid to late 90's if Izzy, Slash and Duff hadn't have left.

Izzy wrote all the music and a good portion of the lyrics. Had no chance when he left to be the same band.

Izzy wrote all the music and a good portion of the lyrics. Had no chance when he left to be the same band.

True he wrote/ co wrote most (I think 9 out of the 12 tracks)) on Appetite and a fair share of the Illusions, but I think they could have made a good album even after his departure. Both Slash and Duff wrote some great tunes in the 90's on their solo records and I believe Slash's Snakepit's first album was originally intended to be the next GN'R record until Axl rejected the songs. It's Five o' Clock Somewhere is one of my all time favourite albums and in my opinion Slash never recaptured that excellent vibe on any of his other solo records or even with Velvet Revolver. I was actually going to post this on this thread the other day before anyone mentioned GN'R...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCi0Iw9A7wM

Edited by cody78

I'm not a huge fan of GNR recorded stuff, though I like Spaghetti Incident and Lies for the most part - nice and raw - but live early stuff like the Ritz show were rocking! [thumbup]

Not too many people seem to like the Spaghetti Incident, I thought I was the only person who enjoys that album! Great covers album. Talking of cover albums, I always liked Moondog Matinee by the Band too and it seems not many people like that one either.