Gibson Brands Forums

2017 reflections - your favourite concert attended this year

'Scales

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only saw a few, but Bela Fleck was my favorite. I don't get to see big ones anymore since I live 4 1/2 hours from the nearest big city.

Bela Fleck wrote a banjo concerto and performed it with the South Carolina Philharmonic in Columbia, SC earlier this year, and it was amazing!

Probably a tie between Brian Setzer and Foreigner/Cheap Trick show. Both rocked!

Third time seeing Brian and he's just a fantastic picker on some beautiful Gretsch guitars.

The Foreigner show was like going back to high school. You forget what a great run of hits they had back in the day.

Much as I'd like to, I rarely go to any "Big Name" concerts, anymore. The ticket prices are out of my budget range.

But, I saw most all, that are still touring, when they were younger, and "in their prime," so to speak. So, I don't

feel deprived, at all. :D

I did see Samantha Fish, at the Cotillion Ballroom, last Spring, for a very reasonable ticket price! It was a decent concert,

and reminded me of concerts at that venue, when I was a teenager...Yardbirds (twice), Blue Things, Animals, Paul Revere & The

Raiders, etc., etc., etc. So, I do get out, now and then, when the price is right/reasonable, and it's someone I really want

to see.

CB

Who were with the Yardbirds when you saw them CB?

My favorite concert this year was Flaming Lips + Mac DeMarco at the Fox Theater in Pomona. It was the last show of their tour together and they were pulling out all the stops. The sound was nice and clear, we could see everything. We were expecting it to be great and it was even better

I went to a bunch of great concerts this year but I’m hoping to go to more next year. Would love to see King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard

17626668_1463238000392987_2433711644954600522_n.jpg?oh=de29f0be0587811d2fc6bb29555a0c71&oe=5AC170B4

kansas2014logo-1.jpg

Best concert I've seen in quite awhile & certainly the best this year! You can tell from this picture how close we were to the stage. The concert lasted 2 1/2 hours because this band has been at it for decades & they have a slew of hits. Phenomenal musicians throughout. The crowd was on their feet throughout the show. Killer band! Killer concert! :o

Who were with the Yardbirds when you saw them CB?

My favorite concert this year was Flaming Lips + Mac DeMarco at the Fox Theater in Pomona. It was the last show of their tour together and they were pulling out all the stops. The sound was nice and clear, we could see everything. We were expecting it to be great and it was even better

I went to a bunch of great concerts this year but I’m hoping to go to more next year. Would love to see King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard

Dub, the first time I saw the Yardbirds, was with Jeff Beck, the second time Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page were both in the lineup.

It was not too long, before Jeff Beck left the band, and Page took over full time "Lead" duties.

CB

17626668_1463238000392987_2433711644954600522_n.jpg?oh=de29f0be0587811d2fc6bb29555a0c71&oe=5AC170B4

kansas2014logo-1.jpg

Best concert I've seen in quite awhile & certainly the best this year! You can tell from this picture how close we were to the stage. The concert lasted 2 1/2 hours because this band has been at it for decades & they have a slew of hits. Phenomenal musicians throughout. The crowd was on their feet throughout the show. Killer band! Killer concert! :o

I was in college, in Lawrence, Kansas (KU), when KANSAS were just starting on their way. Saw them a bunch of times, in and around Lawrence, back then.

They were always Good/Great! And, just got even better, as time went on. Lawrence always had a pretty active "Live" music scene, even back then.

Cheers,

CB

Mates and I were talking about Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath who played in Brisbane a week apart early on the year, but never got ourselves organised. [rolleyes]

Best for me was Dinosaur Jr in the back room of a pub in the small town of Byron Bay not far from here. Just the guys, their instruments and amps on a small stage, but incredibly loud (thanks for the earplugs tip Dub-T-123 [thumbup]) - awesome to see one of my favourite ever legendary bands and a guy who ranks in the top 100 guitarists of all time polls so close up. Highly recommended if you like your music hard and loud!

That's a tough one for me, I went to so many shows I cannot list them all

-Uli Jon Roth

-Unknown Hinson and Reeverend Horton Heat

-Tesla/Poison/Def Leppard

-Russian Circles/Eagles of Death Metal/Mastodon

-Metallica with Volbeat and Local H (St. Louis)

-Mr. Big with Denman (a local metal band)

-Iron Maiden with Ghost

-Metallica with Avenged Sevenfold and Volbeat (Atlanta)

-Slayer with Lamb of God and Behemoth

-Roger Waters

-The Dead Daisies don't recall the opening band but they were goo

-First two days of ProgPower Fest in Atlanta, 10 bands total, my favorite was Metal Church

And about 6 or 7 shows by Thee Rock and Roll Residency here in Nashville with a slew of invited guests.

My favorite is a tie between Iron Maiden (I was about five rows from stage) and Metallica in Atlanta (I won snake pit passes and had a blast, they put on a great show)

Archived